DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Galaxy S9 & S9+

Logger

Reactions
Anyone got any thoughts on using the new S9 series from Samsung?

My S7 edge will be 2 years old next month. It has been terrific. Only complaint is the screen size with my aging eyes (mid 50s) & brightess in sunlight outdoors. So I am considering a larger screen. The S9+ is 6.2" screen. Wheras the S9 is 5.8" and my my S7 edge 5.5".

Perhaps it is not a large enough jump in screen to justify the upgrade. Any way what are peoples thoughts on using the the S9 series with DJIGo4 and the Mavic. I expect it should be fine but would like to know what other Android users think.

No reason it should not work, but as usual might take a few weeks after release for any problems to be addressed if any.

I hate those "supertall" and "edge" screens so no more Samsungs for me, had all of them from S3 to S7 but they lost me at S8.

Yeah I agree the edge screen is a bit of a gimmick & I always ditch the Samsung home screen for Google Now as I don't like their launcher. But that aside my S7edge has been reliable and stood the test of time. Still is nice and fast and does most things I want very well. Can get the S9+ at 20% off RRP & a free wireless charger as a bonus, so might pre order one and give it a go.

I love my samsung Note 8 and I had the S8+ before that. The only problem is with a case on the phone they do not fit in the normal spot on the RC Controller.
On top of that the S8+ infinity screen made it difficult to press the menu buttons located on the screen curve in the DJI App.
I use a Polar Pro phone mount now and it will hold the note 8 with an otterbox case but barely.

I'm considering the S9+. I have an S7 edge now. The S9 reportedly had around 1150 nits brightness, whereas the S7 has approx 800. It should hence be a bit better in sunlight.

Reactions: Logger
Ordered the Samsung S9+ a couple days ago. One of the things that impressed me about the S9 and S9+ is the bright screen. Both are rated at 700 nits. I'll let you know after some flight time with the Samsung.

Good Stuff. I also ordered the S9+, back on 2/27 and supposed to ship this Friday. So stay tuned...

I'm sure if you asked the question on another forum, some big Chris Hemsworth Character would say "Samsung S9+?? Please this is not on the approved devices list. Our engineers will update the list one day" ......:)

Yeah but that requires being in Auto brightness mode which will be a pain since the ambient light sensors are hidden by the controller arms, and may be limited in time.

Yeah but that requires being in Auto brightness mode which will be a pain since the ambient light sensors are hidden by the controller arms, and may be limited in time.

Good point. Perhaps I should print custom controller arms that won't cover the ambient light sensor.

As long as you are totally happy with your S7 Edge as a phone, then I might suggest keeping the S7 Edge and for less than half the price of the S9, go out and get an iPad mini 4 tablet with a screen that makes the S9's tiny in comparison.
Optimally, you should have the cellular capable Mini 4 for the built in GPS so that the Mavic can find your location. You do NOT need to activate the cellular function so there is no additional charge on your phone bill.
A big benefit of the iPad Mini 4 is that the RC controller will NOT try to charge up the tablet's battery like it does with Android devices.
That's what I did and am totally happy with 7.9" display AND it fits perfectly in the MP's controller arms. I just wish I had gotten the cellular version instead of the WiFi only version.

As long as you are totally happy with your S7 Edge as a phone, then I might suggest keeping the S7 Edge and for less than half the price of the S9, go out and get an iPad mini 4 tablet with a screen that makes the S9's tiny in comparison.
Thanks for the suggestion but - No thanks. I already have an iPad Air 2 with an unlimited 4G data connection that fly with extremely rarely to use IOS only apps like Hangar. Much prefer the android ecosystem and its seamless integration and feed to google photos.
A big benefit of the iPad Mini 4 is that the RC controller will NOT try to charge up the tablet's battery like it does with Android devices.
Well that is a benefit, but only for those who want to fly their Mavic atypically. I suspect the majority of people around here only have 3 batteries with their Mavic. I can fly them all back to back and the controller battery is down to around 30% at which point I charge the whole lot up again. 3 batteries and the controller. The current drain to the tablet or phone may have cost me the ability to fly 1 or 2 more flights with batteries that I don't have.So this is a non issue for me and many others.

Granted the iPad mini is an excellent solution. There are quite a few other reasons people may want to upgrade to their 2 year old phone unrelated Mavic us . Improved camera, increased storage (256GB) , more memory, newer OS, while gaining hopefully a improved screen to display flying apps. All the while in a single device.

Anyway I look forward to seeing how we get on with the S9 phones when they turn up.

Have had an S9+ for about a week. Only had one very short opportunity to use it with the Mavic so far.

No obvious issues. Just had to swap out the micro usb for the usb C on the RC. Bit of a snugger fit in the arms than my smaller S7 edge.

Screen is great. Looking forward to giving it a workout over the next few weeks.

Anyone else got one up and running? If so report how you get on.

I dont know about the S9 but I recently bought a cheap S8 to use with my Mavic as well as a general purpose phone. I previously had an old Note II that was showing its age and would not show the camera image from the Mavic.

I find the S8 works seamlessly with the MP, and the extra bright screen is visible even in our bright summer sunlight.

Have had an S9+ for about a week. Only had one very short opportunity to use it with the Mavic so far.

No obvious issues. Just had to swap out the micro usb for the usb C on the RC. Bit of a snugger fit in the arms than my smaller S7 edge.

Screen is great. Looking forward to giving it a workout over the next few weeks.

Anyone else got one up and running? If so report how you get on.

Weather has not permitted me to fly it yet, but it's been working great indoors ;)

It think I will use a dremel to cut away some of the grim arm so that it doesn't cover the ambient light sensor. Wonder if it's possible to get replacement arms in case I regret.

Pardon the pun but I think you are jumping at shadows.

upload_2018-3-20_20-34-6.png

upload_2018-3-20_20-35-30.png

I cannot see it being a problem myself. Mine is clear of the arm when properly seated in the arms. Perhaps whoever it was who originally said it was obscured hand not actually checked it.

Last edited:
Just flew two batteries with my S9+. Worked very nicely. On the first battery I had the message "Self discharge in storage" up in red across the DJIGo4 header. I initially read this to mean the S9+ phones storage was discharging the RC. But then I think it actually simply meant the battery in the Mavic had been self discharged and was not related to the phone at all.

Either way after landing I pulled down the USB preference and tried selecting the "Transfer file" option instead of "Charge this phone". The selection did not stick but the "Self discharge in storage" message went away, so all good.

upload_2018-3-21_9-51-36.png

No signs of any hiccups at all. Screen was plenty bright enough. Ran two batteries through it and RC is still at 55% charge so I am confident there wont be an issue for me Flying all 3 of my Mavic PP batteries on a single RC charge.

Took this Pano just now in DJIGo4 on the S9+.
360 Toorak Park.
Tiny planet Toorak Park.

Extra screen size and brightness is a marked improvement for me over my S7edge. Also the usb C is easier to fit than the micro usb on the S7e. Rear finger print reader is also nicely accessible and handy for powering on phone screen after fitting in RC too.

So I am pretty happy so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArnoudBM
This thread is what I was looking for. I have the S8 and really like how I have not had any issues since using the Samsung S8. Had all kinds of issues with my LG20. Was going to jump to the S9+ tomorrow so looks like we're good to go..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan