DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" (32GB) with DJI Fly app

Tasos GR

Reactions
Does anyone use the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" (32GB) with DJI Fly app? is it compatible?
Thank you

I use Galaxy Tab A (2019) Model T290, and it works perfectly well. You need to side-load the Fly App from the DJI website, it does not show up in the Play Store. MMFlyer is not correct.

I use Galaxy Tab A (2019) Model T290, and it works perfectly well. You need to side-load the Fly App from the DJI website, it does not show up in the Play Store. MMFlyer is not correct.

Thank you

do u have a direct link? I cant find the download. I have the T510 model Samsung 10.0 Tab A '2019 model

Does anyone use the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" (32GB) with DJI Fly app? is it compatible?
Thank you

Since you are located in Greece I'd be careful with this.

Myself and others here in North America have had good luck with this model (Samsung 8" Galaxy Tab A SM-T290) but all of them manufactured for sale on our continent come with a Qualcomm processor and it's my understanding that Samsung puts Exynos processors in some if not all of them bound for Europe. The Exynos processors are better in some ways but unlikely to be compatible with the Fly app.

do u have a direct link? I cant find the download. I have the T510 model Samsung 10.0 Tab A '2019 model
I am not sure whether the T510 works. You can try to install DJIFly, the link opens the download page of DJI Fly; click on "Download for Android".

Reactions: Ztopgun28

Myself and others here in North America have had good luck with this model (Samsung 8" Galaxy Tab A SM-T290) but all of them manufactured for sale on our continent come with a Qualcomm processor and it's my understanding that Samsung puts Exynos processors in some if not all of them bound for Europe. The Exynos processors are better in some ways but unlikely to be compatible with the Fly app.
I bought my T290 in Europe from a shop that usually does not cross border imports. According to their website the processor is a Snapdragon 429. The Samsung model number is SM-T290NZKAAUT. I currently have no access to it to check it physically (Corona Lockdown), but DJI Fly is installed, and I did fly successfully with it.
BUT as I said before, I don' know about the T510. They also sell it, but no details about the processor make, only "8 Kernel, 1.6 und 1.8 GHz"

I also read that USB 3.0/3.1 to USB C for android tablets should help also. I will try that.
I don't use any special connections, just an extension to the DJI supplied RC cable. Make sure they are data capable (not only for charging). I use different phones/tablets to fly.
DJI Cable -> F Micro USB to USB -> F USB to USB Micro -> Converter F USB Micro to USB C (if needed).
IMG_20200404_125259.jpg

Reactions: Ztopgun28
I don't use any special connections, just an extension to the DJI supplied RC cable. Make sure they are data capable (not only for charging). I use different phones/tablets to fly.
DJI Cable -> F Micro USB to USB -> F USB to USB Micro -> Converter F USB Micro to USB C (if needed).
View attachment 98601
Oh ok. Ya its data transfer also. Why do you use dji fly app and not DJI GO 4? I'm new to all this and haven't gotten my drone yet.

Last edited:

I am a noob and will be getting my mini this week. Am I understanding correctly that you are using the Tab A 8" with dji fly app? Do you need a tablet holder or will it fit in the controller? Did you need to sideload the app? Did you need an extension cable or a longer data cable? How is the outside visibility with this tablet. I have the note 8 and am wondering if the larger screen will be helpful for by 60 year old eyes? Would you recommend an 8" or a 10" tablet for flying (knowing that the 10" will require a tablet holder? Thank you and sorry for all the questions.
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a noob and will be getting my mini this week. Am I understanding correctly that you are using the Tab A 8" with dji fly app? Do you need a tablet holder or will it fit in the controller? Did you need to sideload the app? Did you need an extension cable or a longer data cable? How is the outside visibility with this tablet. I have the note 8 and am wondering if the larger screen will be helpful for by 60 year old eyes? Would you recommend an 8" or a 10" tablet for flying (knowing that the 10" will require a tablet holder? Thank you and sorry for all the questions.
Brian

Yes, I am using my Tab A 8.0 2019 model SM-T290 to fly the Mini with the DJI Fly App. I did not have to side load the software for the first installation because it installed automatically when I synced it with my Galaxy A70 phone but I have had to side load all of the updates. I've only run it on Android 9 on the tablet. On the phone I have run it on both 9 and 10.

I would say that the device works well but doesn't perform at a high level. It's sluggish when compared to devices that cost significantly more. I wouldn't attempt to edit high resolution footage from the SD card with it. The screen resolution isn't great and isn't super bright but functional for me. I paid $129 for it new and I'm satisfied with it at that price point. It will definitely require a tablet holder to use in landscape orientation.

As far as I know the Tab A 10" models are not compatible with the Fly App. That might've changed with software and/or hardware updates but that was my understanding as of 3/2020 when I was deciding what to buy. If I recall correctly the 10" Android options that were known to work were $300+ which made the 8" look like a good value. I would have gone with a 10" if I could have gotten it under $200 but now I feel like 8" is plenty of screen and would probably spend more for better performance if that was on the menu.

Yes, I am using my Tab A 8.0 2019 model SM-T290 to fly the Mini with the DJI Fly App. I did not have to side load the software for the first installation because it installed automatically when I synced it with my Galaxy A70 phone but I have had to side load all of the updates. I've only run it on Android 9 on the tablet. On the phone I have run it on both 9 and 10.

I would say that the device works well but doesn't perform at a high level. It's sluggish when compared to devices that cost significantly more. I wouldn't attempt to edit high resolution footage from the SD card with it. The screen resolution isn't great and isn't super bright but functional for me. I paid $129 for it new and I'm satisfied with it at that price point. It will definitely require a tablet holder to use in landscape orientation.

As far as I know the Tab A 10" models are not compatible with the Fly App. That might've changed with software and/or hardware updates but that was my understanding as of 3/2020 when I was deciding what to buy. If I recall correctly the 10" Android options that were known to work were $300+ which made the 8" look like a good value. I would have gone with a 10" if I could have gotten it under $200 but now I feel like 8" is plenty of screen and would probably spend more for better performance if that was on the menu.
Thanks, I will probably try my Note 8 for a while first, It has a higher res screen and is brighter as well but smaller. I think I would like a bigger screen but don't want to pay a premium price for it. I think at Bestbuy near me, the 8" is $149 and the 10" is $230 for (both TAB A) and would prefer android as well. Not sure how well the Tab A will perform in terms sluggishness and editing.
thank you for your time and information. I guess I will have to sort out price vs performance in my situation as I go forward.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka