DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" (32GB) with DJI Fly app

I use a Samsung Tab A 8in sm-t290 that I purchased to use with the MM. While it does take a few minutes for the Fly app to load up, I haven't noticed any lag while flying. Could be because nothing else is installed except for UAV forecast and Kittyhawk.

Hi all, still a newbie so was trying to get some useful information from the more experienced guys and girls out there.
I have the Mavic Mini but at the moment am using my phone (Samsumg Galaxy S20). I'm looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" instead of the phone, as I'm still pretty new to this would any one know if the following info on the tablet would allow me to use the Fly App?
Item specifics
Brand: Samsung
RAM: 2 GB Model: Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019)
Manufacturer’s guarantee: 2 years Features: Expandable Memory, Bluetooth, Built-In Front Camera
Dimensions: 210 x 124.4 x 8 mm (H x W x D) Screen Size: 8 in
Software: - Bixby;- Samsung;- Google Type: Tablet
Weight: 345 g Connectivity: Micro-USB
Other features: Microphone Colour: Black
Security features: Facial recognition Processor: Quad Core
Camera: - Main camera: 8 MP;- Front facing camera: 2 MP Operating System: Android
Battery life: Up to 14 hours Maximum Resolution: 1280 x 800
Battery type: Lithium-ion Processor Speed: 2.00 GHz
Memory card reader: microSD (up to 512 GB) Internet Connectivity: Wi-Fi
Touchscreen: Yes Manufacturer Colour: Black
Screen type: TFT LCD MPN: SMT290NZKABTU
Screen features: - 189 ppi;- 800:1 contrast ratio Speakers: Dual speakers
Audio connections: 3.5 mm jack Audio software: Dolby Atmos
USB: Micro USB x 1 Storage Capacity: 32 GB
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2 Series: Samsung Galaxy Tab
WiFi: Dual-band AC WiFi RAM Size: 2 GB
Storage: 32 GB eMMC UPC: 8801643998684
EAN: 8801643998684

Kind thanks in advance for any help/info. By the way I'm UK based.

I think you should check further since you are in the UK. It appears there may be two models of the Galaxy Tab A. The one for North America market is the model SM-T290 and it works with the fly app.

Here's some info from another thread. I believe it has to do with some processors not having an ARM8 (ARM64) processor.

Myself and others here in North America have had good luck with this model (Samsung 8" Galaxy Tab A SM-T290) but all of them manufactured for sale on our continent come with a Qualcomm processor and it's my understanding that Samsung puts Exynos processors in some if not all of them bound for Europe. The Exynos processors are better in some ways but unlikely to be compatible with the Fly app.

I'm using an 8" tablet from Walmart onn. 8" Android Tablet, 16GB Storage, 2GB RAM, 1.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor, LCD Display - Walmart.com

with an 8" cable from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...itle_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mavicpilots-20

The Walmart ONN 7 inch tablet does not work as it's running 32 bit Android.

The 8" ONN8 Pro model with a faster CPU also works fine though the Pro model uses a USB-C connector so requires a different extension cable: https://www.amazon.com/STARTRC-Durable-Type-C-Micro-Platinum/dp/B07KP6NTK7

DJI Fly is working well and the tablet just fits into the RC holders. The longer cable is not stretched at all and fits inside the Flymore case while still connected to the RC with no stress on the mini USB connector.

Mavic Mini Controller with 8 Inch Tablet 04 Over.jpg

Last edited:
Further to this conversation, I'm a new Air 2 owner (I understand that this thread is specific to the Mini, but thought the DJI Fly aspect would be relevant to the Air 2 as well) and have loaded DJI Fly on my Samsung S10 with no problems. However, upon trying to load on my Galaxy Tab A 8" (Model No. SM-T387AA, bought here in Oklahoma City, OK - USA) the download comes over fine, but the installation fails every time. I bought this Tab A about a year ago (in 2019) and have had no problems with it. It is updated with the newest Android version 9. The download install process kicked up a few warning notices about possibility that this install download might be harmful to the device, which I ignored. Any ideas about what's going on here would be most appreciated.

Further to this conversation, I'm a new Air 2 owner (I understand that this thread is specific to the Mini, but thought the DJI Fly aspect would be relevant to the Air 2 as well) and have loaded DJI Fly on my Samsung S10 with no problems. However, upon trying to load on my Galaxy Tab A 8" (Model No. SM-T387AA, bought here in Oklahoma City, OK - USA) the download comes over fine, but the installation fails every time. I bought this Tab A about a year ago (in 2019) and have had no problems with it. It is updated with the newest Android version 9. The download install process kicked up a few warning notices about possibility that this install download might be harmful to the device, which I ignored. Any ideas about what's going on here would be most appreciated.
It may be the 32 bit versus 64 bit issue. FLY apparently needs a 64 bit unit. I also tried loading it on my Samsung that I purchased for use with my Zoom. Worked fine for the Zoom (went with Smart Controller eventually) but while I could download it, the installed failed a few times. Gave up.

It may be the 32 bit versus 64 bit issue. FLY apparently needs a 64 bit unit. I also tried loading it on my Samsung that I purchased for use with my Zoom. Worked fine for the Zoom (went with Smart Controller eventually) but while I could download it, the installed failed a few times. Gave up.
My tablet had same issue with this 32/64 bit rate thing, but now it works with my litchi beta version app

Reactions: ff22
I just purchased a Tab A 2019 SM T-290 and i can launch the ap but when I do. Ithe camera doesn't work. I get the error message "Lighting enviroment too dark" and a black camera. I can see all of the flght information just no picture. The camera works fine on my Galaxy S9.

Hi,

I picked up the Samsung 2019 Tablet A 8" today to try it out for a bigger screen than my iPhone XS.

For some reason my tablet's video is laggy while flying. When I move the drone in any direction. The feed on my screen skips to the current view after a second.

Any suggestions on why this may be occurring?

Thanks!

Hi,

I picked up the Samsung 2019 Tablet A 8" today to try it out for a bigger screen than my iPhone XS.

For some reason my tablet's video is laggy while flying. When I move the drone in any direction. The feed on my screen skips to the current view after a second.

Any suggestions on why this may be occurring?

Thanks!
click on the link in my post u will see my issue too

click on the link in my post u will see my issue too
I don't see a link in your post. Can you reply with the link, please?

I am having the same issue with my Samsung Tab A that I just bought from Costco. Getting major lag, then my screen on my tab will go blank, saying the controller is not connected to the device and I'll lose the one for a minute or two. VERY SCARY!

I don't see a link in your post. Can you reply with the link, please?

I am having the same issue with my Samsung Tab A that I just bought from Costco. Getting major lag, then my screen on my tab will go blank, saying the controller is not connected to the device and I'll lose the one for a minute or two. VERY SCARY!
Here is the issue I was having

Reactions: KansasSkies21
I am a noob and will be getting my mini this week. Am I understanding correctly that you are using the Tab A 8" with dji fly app? Do you need a tablet holder or will it fit in the controller? Did you need to sideload the app? Did you need an extension cable or a longer data cable? How is the outside visibility with this tablet. I have the note 8 and am wondering if the larger screen will be helpful for by 60 year old eyes? Would you recommend an 8" or a 10" tablet for flying (knowing that the 10" will require a tablet holder? Thank you and sorry for all the questions.
Brian
I have a Mavic Mini and it fit’s in the controller if you let the corner stick out in the hadles on both sides, i think max wide for the tablet is 20cm, and you need a longer otg cable. Roger

Here is the issue I was having

How are you guys even getting the Fly program loaded on a Tab A? When I go to the Google Play Store it isn't even available for the Tab A.

Steve

How are you guys even getting the Fly program loaded on a Tab A? When I go to the Google Play Store it isn't even available for the Tab A.

Steve
The Fly app needs a 64 bit OS system. Some Tabs are 32 bit (mine for instance) and cannot run the app and the Play store will not offer it. Some have side loaded the app and gotten it to work. I tried that but it would not run.

Reactions: stellarpod
I use Galaxy Tab A (2019) Model T290, and it works perfectly well. You need to side-load the Fly App from the DJI website, it does not show up in the Play Store. MMFlyer is not correct.
Is your T290 32gb or 64gb. Mine is 32gb, I've installed the the dji fly app everything opens up I just get no video feed to my tablet

I use Galaxy Tab A (2019) Model T290, and it works perfectly well. You need to side-load the Fly App from the DJI website, it does not show up in the Play Store. MMFlyer is not correct.
When you say SM-T290, do you mean SM-T290NZKABTU and the NAXAR models or is SM-T290 a completely separate model?

Has anyone had luck with the Galaxy Tab A 8 inch? SM-T380?

I tried sideloading the apk. It runs for a bit and says "app not installed".

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78