DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Tab A

There isn't a manual. I have watched so much I can't remember very much of it... information overload. I don't know if I can be bothered to go and fetch it. I left the whole lot in the field and walked away. It was making me depressed.

Where approximately are you located? Maybe another member is close by that can help get you up and running. They really are very easy to fly, can't help but think you're making it harder than it needs to be.

Check this video out, it's for a Mavic Pro, but the general set up should be much the same.

Failing that, if you really have given up, let me know which field it's in, I'll have a relative go pick it up ?

It is in this one. We wanted to get some pictures of the cattle in the evening sun. Especially 'blackie'. He won't hurt you. I was laying on the ground to get this, with my compact.A bull running with the cows, with calves at foot..jpg

Reactions: naiku
Where approximately are you located? Maybe another member is close by that can help get you up and running. They really are very easy to fly, can't help but think you're making it harder than it needs to be.

Check this video out, it's for a Mavic Pro, but the general set up should be much the same.

Failing that, if you really have given up, let me know which field it's in, I'll have a relative go pick it up ?

Thank you. I will watch that and when I go to check the rabbit situation in the fields I will see if it has been trampled or is retrievable. I think it will be fine. The stock are in the next field, I was flying from a bare patch in the barley field next to them.

How do you get these different videos to come up? I must be asking google the wrong questions. All I get is some bloke against a brick background, christ does he waffle on and go off at tangents. It is painful to watch, in fact many of them do the same.

Update... I collected it. I watched a set up video. The instructions I was following, on the screen of the mobile at the time of trying to link WERE INCORRECT. No wonder it timed out and wouldn't link....

I did what it said to get the controller blinking and time running down from 60 seconds... then press and hold aft flashing button until it BEEPS TWICE, let go and wait for the controller to link to the helicopter. It timed out every time. These were the directions from the app as I was doing it.

The video this morning says to do the same, get the controller blinking, then press and hold the flashing helicopter button until it BEEPS ONCE. Bingo! After maybe 6 or 10 seconds it all beeped, the lights turned green, the blades started spinning in ready for flight mode.... I turned it all off and was happy as a sandboy! It has finally linked.

Thank you for sticking with me. The linking up video corrected the app instructions for me.

Now I shall go back over the 'how to change settings' videos, again, because it is so complex it is going to take me days to set this up, not being used to using any of these screen devices before. I shall worry about camera settings later, after I have mastered the helicoptering bit.

I am going to give it a rest for a few days. I have ordered 3x 32GB San Disc cards, so should have plenty of storage available. I have also ordered a set of ND filters - original Mavic ones (£25!) Presumably left over from a Fly More combo somewhere. A friend is a confuser geek and he is going to uprate the Motorola Xoom I have been given to Lollipop (Android 5.1.1 which is supposed to be the best version for the Go Fly app, according to the Drone Valley chap). If it is not much good, it has cost me nothing.

Tablet holder... this seem any good? It doesn't say anything about wires to join the controller to the tablet though, none shown in the picture, so I wonder if it actually blocks the wire socket in the middle of the controller?

Reactions: naiku
Glad to read you're making progress, definitely leave the camera settings alone while getting used to flying. You can even remove the props and tinker with the settings inside the house without worrying about the drone taking off with the props removed.

You'll need to use your own USB cable with the tablet holder, likely one can't with your tablet, use that one. The holders don't block the bottom USB.

Also, if you are using a tablet and the bottom full size USB on the controller, make sure the small USB on the side is unplugged from the controller.

Reactions: KingRat

Thank you very much. I have read as far as the hand gesture instructions... there is a lot to take in. :oops:

I think I have decided on getting an iPad mini 4 to work with it. But I can't work out from any of the videos or information if the smart RTH works with it? Do I have to have a tablet with built in GPS to have this function? I simply can't understand what the videos are saying about it.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I have read as far as the hand gesture instructions... there is a lot to take in. :oops:

I think I have decided on getting an iPad mini 4 to work with it. But I can't work out from any of the videos or information if the smart RTH works with it? Do I have to have a tablet with built in GPS to have this function? I simply can't understand what the videos are saying about it.

iPad mini 4 is a great choice for this, no you don't have to have GPS on the tablet, the Air has a GPS module on board. Don't try to do all in one day, glad to hear you are starting to get a hang of this now. Feel free to message anytime

iPad mini 4 is a great choice for this, no you don't have to have GPS on the tablet, the Air has a GPS module on board. Don't try to do all in one day, glad to hear you are starting to get a hang of this now. Feel free to message anytime

Much obliged. I think I understand it now. With a cellular iPad, you get the GPS, but you don't HAVE to use the mobile phone aspect of the thing... GOOD. This will be stand alone for the drone and the drone alone. I need the RTH to be the controller though, not the take off point... it will get very wet if that is the case!

Much obliged. I think I understand it now. With a cellular iPad, you get the GPS, but you don't HAVE to use the mobile phone aspect of the thing... GOOD. This will be stand alone for the drone and the drone alone. I need the RTH to be the controller though, not the take off point... it will get very wet if that is the case!

You don't have dynamic RTH on this, meaning it won't continuously update the location of your controller, you can update the RTH location during flight though. Probably best if you take of from a location that is safe to return to

You don't have dynamic RTH on this, meaning it won't continuously update the location of your controller, you can update the RTH location during flight though. Probably best if you take of from a location that is safe to return to

That is good to know. I shall learn, implicity, how to make the controller the RTH point, in that case. It is going to be important. I will not have the option you mention of a shore take off and RTH.

I bought the 8 inch Samsung TAB A and use it only for drone purposes and it works great. Not to big for the controller mount I bought and have had no issues. I'm not sure you need to go to crazy and I really think in my opinion if you get much bigger and it might be a pain in the *** to handle. I would also invest in a very short cable to go from controller to tab like 12 inches long if possible to reduce clutter.

I have two Samsung Tabs. One 8" the other 10". I prefer the 8" model. You will need an aftermarket holder. I currently use: MavMount 3.0

although lately have been hearing people having issues getting those direct from company (I got mine on e-bay). My back up "mount" is:

I've seen the second one offered from a few different manufacturers. Both items allow me to mount my tablets which are enclosed by a thicker case. Initially I was using my Note 9 which was enclosed in a case (because of the phone case, I needed to get a mount). I found most of the mounts I was getting grasped the phone from the top and bottom. The grasping arm "fingers" were not long enough to grasp the phone with case or would cover the bottom of the phone. Even with a "hole" on the finger, the cable connecting to the phone would not line up. I ended up tryng MANY mounts in search of the perfect one. Hopefully this info will save you the "experimentation" costs I went through.

As far as brightness, I try to launch with sun at my back or somewhere where I'd be in the shade. And one final note, my flying preference is using my Moverio BT-300 thus alleviating all that is mentioned above although a rather expensive option.

Hope you understood all this.

Good luck.
Hi, I just purchased the Tab 8, loaded the Fly app & purchased a USB c to usb micro, when i plugged the cable from the remote into tab 8, it does not give me the charging notification & the app does not connect to the remote, I purchased 2 exact cables & receive the same results both, is there a specific cable I should try?
Thanks
Coop

Hi, I just purchased the Tab 8, loaded the Fly app & purchased a USB c to usb micro, when i plugged the cable from the remote into tab 8, it does not give me the charging notification & the app does not connect to the remote, I purchased 2 exact cables & receive the same results both, is there a specific cable I should try?

I had this exact problem, albeit with DJI Go 4 and a Mavic 2, tried multiple cables and could never get the tablet to work unless using the short DJI cable (which was too short to actually use the tablet).

Have you enabled USB debugging? I've read that can sometimes get it to work. For me, I found that the tablet popped up a message about charging slowly, but the message disappeared before I could click OK. On the 2 times I was able to click OK, it worked fine.

But, ultimately I ended up returning it as I could not place my trust in it. It's weird, I've read many reports of the tab A working fine, but for me it did not. Using a Lenovo Tab 10 plus now, works perfectly.

Thanks
Coop
You may have bought an OTG cable that doesn't work in this application. Take the cable that came with the tablet and plug it into the USB A port at the bottom of the remote.

Thanks
Coop
I've purchased several USB micro cables of differing lengths to suit my needs. Here's one of them:

I never like those USB c to USB micro adapters, sometimes looses good connectivity through the adapter (I've found).

Good luck.

I have the Samsung Tab A 8.5 inch screen. Model SM-T380. Android version 9. Android Security patch level January 1, 2020. One U.I. version 1.1. DJI GO 4 App: version 4.3.36. There that should do it. Works just fine with the Mavic Air.

The absolute only thing I do NOT like of the Android tablet is the fact I must dig a little deeper than my iPad to kill another app. EXAMPLE: When I fly in classed airspace, desiring to use LITCHI with the programed WP's, I must start the MA in GO 4, unlock, then hover. While in hover, I close the GO 4, force kill the DJI App, initiate the LITCHI and fly. With my iPad, I double tap home, swipe up to kill, and tap the desired app to fly. Very little difference other than time.

I do NOT like the MA in hover without any control. If someone knows an easier way for when in classed airspace and having to unlock, please tell me.

EDIT: For either my iPad Mini 5 or Samsung Tab A, I must still complete a BT tether with my Samsung Note 8 for GPS purposes as neither tablet alone has cellular connection.
Is that the 32 GB or 64 GB version of the Tab A

For those members that have the Samsung Tab A 10 - do you find them awkward to use because of the size ?

For those members that have the Samsung Tab A 10 - do you find them awkward to use because of the size ?
I have both an 8" and 10" Tab. I find the 8" just the right size. I also have Moverio's so if I need a larger screen, that's what I go to. The 8", for me, is perfect, 10" a little cumbersome.

I have both an 8" and 10" Tab. I find the 8" just the right size. I also have Moverio's so if I need a larger screen, that's what I go to. The 8", for me, is perfect, 10" a little cumbersome.
Thanks. Do you have the 32 GB or 64 GB 8" ?

Can I ask please those using the Samsung 8" TabA does the dgigo4 app video editor create and save your videos when you use it, mine goes through the motions but then just says "failed to save" I have tried down loading the vids to the tab, even put the sd card from the drone in the tab but cant navigate to it.
thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98