DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Tab A

KingRat

Reactions
I am a complete newcomer to mobile devices. I have never had one, I have never used one... I have seen the world and his wife using them, but that is as close as I have come.... I need something to act as a screen for my old Mavic Air which I will go and collect soon. I have bought it from a known source, otherwise I would have bought new or from a dealer.

Anyway, I am trying to work out what I need to fly this thing. I have watched probably 200 hours of videos telling you conflicting advice. I cannot afford an iPad mini. I had a fly of a friends Mavic Pro last night and he uses an iPad, but because of the glossy screen he has to use a hood otherise the reflections in it mean you can't see what is on the screen (what the hell is the use of something that bad?) Also it was heavy when it was fitted to the controller. My arm was aching at the end of 20 minutes of flying it. It decided me I don't want an i anything, except for iDeas!

More research and window shopping today. Apparently you cannot get the Android Lollipop 5.1.1 that is supposed to be the bees knees for flying with.... what was suggested was a Samsung Tab A 8" wi-fi. It is affordable too at £90 new. It runs Android 10. Is it going to work OK? Are there any problems that might arise from using something like this? It is small enough to go in the arms of the controller, I checked that bit out, it is a good bit smaller than an iPad mini which does fit.

Any other suggestions for stand alone unit just for using with the drone for flying? I don't play games or any of that crap.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, albeit the larger 10" version with my drone and have had no problems, I think it is running Android 8 though, but I do also use a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ which is running Android 10 and that works fine. The tablet you are looking at will likely be just fine, the biggest thing to check would be the amount of RAM it has, I believe 2GB and DJI Go Fly starts to slow things down a little. If I can find it there is a link showing a bunch of tablets and phones that all work fine with DJI.

I will say though that the glossy screen is not exclusive to the iPad, the tablet you are looking at may well suffer the same issues. Both my tablet and phone can become washed out completely in bright sunlight.

Reactions: KingRat
How do you get over the brightness issue, or rather the reflection from the screen? Is there a polarising sheet you can put over it?

I have not looked into a polarising sheet, that would be handy if it works though. Typically, I just try to stand with the sun behind me and that way I am shading the screen, in the past when I used a smaller tablet I made my own sun shade hood for it. Likely I will be doing the same again, they can be made pretty cheaply with some craft foam. I'd like to try and make one more portable this time though, the last one I made did not fold up making it tough to take anywhere.

The sun and screen brightness will have a lot to do with model of various devices, some of the newer models of iPad (and no doubt Android) devices are much brighter.
As said, position ones self to best shade the screen, under a tree canopy edge, use a big shade hat, sun at back etc.

Some tablet holders will have a lanyard attachment to take the weight of the controller and larger device, or one could perhaps fashion up a way to do something similar themselves if needed.

If the device you are looking at is smaller than the iPad mini 4 (what I use) or 5 (same size) they will fit in, just.

I have the Samsung Tab A 8.5 inch screen. Model SM-T380. Android version 9. Android Security patch level January 1, 2020. One U.I. version 1.1. DJI GO 4 App: version 4.3.36. There that should do it. Works just fine with the Mavic Air.

The absolute only thing I do NOT like of the Android tablet is the fact I must dig a little deeper than my iPad to kill another app. EXAMPLE: When I fly in classed airspace, desiring to use LITCHI with the programed WP's, I must start the MA in GO 4, unlock, then hover. While in hover, I close the GO 4, force kill the DJI App, initiate the LITCHI and fly. With my iPad, I double tap home, swipe up to kill, and tap the desired app to fly. Very little difference other than time.

I do NOT like the MA in hover without any control. If someone knows an easier way for when in classed airspace and having to unlock, please tell me.

EDIT: For either my iPad Mini 5 or Samsung Tab A, I must still complete a BT tether with my Samsung Note 8 for GPS purposes as neither tablet alone has cellular connection.

Last edited:
I have the Samsung Tab A 8.5 inch screen. Model SM-T380. Android version 9. Android Security patch level January 1, 2020. One U.I. version 1.1. DJI GO 4 App: version 4.3.36. There that should do it. Works just fine with the Mavic Air.

The absolute only thing I do NOT like of the Android tablet is the fact I must dig a little deeper than my iPad to kill another app. EXAMPLE: When I fly in classed airspace, desiring to use LITCHI with the programed WP's, I must start the MA in GO 4, unlock, then hover. While in hover, I close the GO 4, force kill the DJI App, initiate the LITCHI and fly. With my iPad, I double tap home, swipe up to kill, and tap the desired app to fly. Very little difference other than time.

I do NOT like the MA in hover without any control. If someone knows an easier way for when in classed airspace and having to unlock, please tell me.

EDIT: For either my iPad Mini 5 or Samsung Tab A, I must still complete a BT tether with my Samsung Note 8 for GPS purposes as neither tablet alone has cellular connection.

I hate to say thais chap, but I don't ctually understand what you have written. This will be the first time I have ever used a swipe screen anything. My mobile has buttons still (Nokia 3100), it works fine for what I use a telephone for. I have never used a fancy mobile or a tablet, or iPad, or even an iPod..... this technology is completely new to me. I use a computer, but only very basic, as an electric typewriter, in effect.

I have contacted Samsung in the UK, by telephone, and spoken to someone in support - the Tab A in UK (England) is different to the USA one. I gave them the numbers SM-T380 and that only refers to the ones sold in USA, outside of UK anyway, just in case someone says they bought theirs in Argentina or something!

I am trying to get some sense out of one of the big shops that sells both Mavic drones and mobiles and tablets.

I say this with the utmost respect, but might be worth you finding someone with a tablet or touch screen phone you can play around with for a few minutes. Just to get a feel of how to navigate using it. Jumping into using a drone, which while you can fly it without touching the tablet / phone other than to connect and open the app, might not be the best place to start using one in case something goes wrong.

Other than that, really most any tablet / phone you could buy today will work fine.

I hate to say thais chap, but I don't ctually understand what you have written. This will be the first time I have ever used a swipe screen anything. My mobile has buttons still (Nokia 3100), it works fine for what I use a telephone for. I have never used a fancy mobile or a tablet, or iPad, or even an iPod..... this technology is completely new to me. I use a computer, but only very basic, as an electric typewriter, in effect.

I have contacted Samsung in the UK, by telephone, and spoken to someone in support - the Tab A in UK (England) is different to the USA one. I gave them the numbers SM-T380 and that only refers to the ones sold in USA, outside of UK anyway, just in case someone says they bought theirs in Argentina or something!
My bad, I mistakenly thought the model was the same everywhere. All the swiping (for me) is needed as GO 4 and LITCHI both use the DJI SDK system. The LITCHI specifically uses the DJI SDK as their base for their app. Therefore, I must kill the DJI GO 4 to prevent any possible software overlapping issues. Bluetooth from the Tab A to my cell phone (Note 8) is necessary as the Tab A does not provide GPS standalone. I could cache maps on the Tab A as an alternative, however. Bottom-line for me is I prefer the 8" screen size.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I have two Samsung Tabs. One 8" the other 10". I prefer the 8" model. You will need an aftermarket holder. I currently use: MavMount 3.0

although lately have been hearing people having issues getting those direct from company (I got mine on e-bay). My back up "mount" is:

I've seen the second one offered from a few different manufacturers. Both items allow me to mount my tablets which are enclosed by a thicker case. Initially I was using my Note 9 which was enclosed in a case (because of the phone case, I needed to get a mount). I found most of the mounts I was getting grasped the phone from the top and bottom. The grasping arm "fingers" were not long enough to grasp the phone with case or would cover the bottom of the phone. Even with a "hole" on the finger, the cable connecting to the phone would not line up. I ended up tryng MANY mounts in search of the perfect one. Hopefully this info will save you the "experimentation" costs I went through.

As far as brightness, I try to launch with sun at my back or somewhere where I'd be in the shade. And one final note, my flying preference is using my Moverio BT-300 thus alleviating all that is mentioned above although a rather expensive option.

Hope you understood all this.

Good luck.

I have downloaded the DJI app (Go 4)... how do you open it? I seem to just go round in circles with new password and register again or sign up or something... I don't get any of the icons or what the videos show that appears. This is the first APP I have ever seen or downloaded... and I don't even know how to make it open! :rolleyes:

The GJI blue button is on the front screen. I double clicked it.... and it wants my DJI account details. What are they, as in where do they come from?

I have downloaded the DJI app (Go 4)... how do you open it? I seem to just go round in circles with new password and register again or sign up or something... I don't get any of the icons or what the videos show that appears. This is the first APP I have ever seen or downloaded... and I don't even know how to make it open! :rolleyes:

The GJI blue button is on the front screen. I double clicked it.... and it wants my DJI account details. What are they, as in where do they come from?

You have to set up an account with DJI, you can't do anything without it. DJI is the manufacturer of your drone. You might want to turn to YouTube, there are plenty of videos posted on how to set up your account, the app and everything else you need to know to get started or invite over your friend that sold it to you for a few beer and have him help you to get started

You have to set up an account with DJI, you can't do anything without it. DJI is the manufacturer of your drone. You might want to turn to YouTube, there are plenty of videos posted on how to set up your account, the app and everything else you need to know to get started or invite over your friend that sold it to you for a few beer and have him help you to get started

I am You Tubed out... I have watched probably in excess of 12 hours a day for the last month.... all on this bloody drone. My enthusiasm is dampened and I actually just left it in the field and walked away from it tonight. I have used an entire battery just trying to get it to turn on. When I was a boy, you slid the switch on the Tx, you slid the switch on the Rx, you checked the flaps and rudder worked then primed the carb and swung the prop, with a vigorous spin and let it idle for minute then taxiied out and took off. Dead easy..... I can't get the control set to talk to the aircraft. If it is still there in the morning I will go and fetch it - case with everything in it, charger the lot. If it isn't, I have learned something. I really am at my wits end with it and I have only had it from this morning.

Sounds like your controller isn't linked with the drone. Things have changed a lot since the RC days. If you watched as much as you have you should know this thing inside and out. Just out of curiosity, have you read the manual?

There isn't a manual. I have watched so much I can't remember very much of it... information overload. I don't know if I can be bothered to go and fetch it. I left the whole lot in the field and walked away. It was making me depressed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78