DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Tab A

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, albeit the larger 10" version with my drone and have had no problems, I think it is running Android 8 though, but I do also use a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ which is running Android 10 and that works fine. The tablet you are looking at will likely be just fine, the biggest thing to check would be the amount of RAM it has, I believe 2GB and DJI Go Fly starts to slow things down a little. If I can find it there is a link showing a bunch of tablets and phones that all work fine with DJI.

I will say though that the glossy screen is not exclusive to the iPad, the tablet you are looking at may well suffer the same issues. Both my tablet and phone can become washed out completely in bright sunlight.
I use an ipad mini fitted with a matte screen protector. No screen washout even in the Australian sun.

There isn't a manual. I have watched so much I can't remember very much of it... information overload. I don't know if I can be bothered to go and fetch it. I left the whole lot in the field and walked away. It was making me depressed.
Can you tell me the location of the field. I have friends over there who can pick it up for me.

Just kidding. persevere, it will work

I just got a new refurb DJI Mavic air today. The manual sucks to put it mildly but I figured out how to get the battery out and get the charger on it. Getting the charger on the remote was a bit more interesting and really kind of low rent requiring an adapter. I hate having even a normal USB jack hanging out of a USB jack, they can put so much torsion on the connector, with out adding in the length of the solid adapter. Anyway, I have all the pieces charging. Blew $5 on the FAA thing. All legal. Now only to find out my phone's version of android will not run the **** app. I have sent the folks who I bought the drone from a note. If the app is picky, this really should have been disclosed on the outside of the box, Now I am in for a 20% restocking fee if they want to be dicks. My credit card may back me up though.

Whoever came up with the idea of needing a smartphone to fly a drone should be throttled though. It is just a bad idea all around. In a year, the new version of android will not run the old app no doubt, so you have one slice of time when a really expensive toy has support. Not good. Not good at all.

The more I ponder this the more it makes me just wanna get my money back and put that in the paramotor fund.

• Sad
Reactions: KingRat
I just got a new refurb DJI Mavic air today. The manual sucks to put it mildly but I figured out how to get the battery out and get the charger on it. Getting the charger on the remote was a bit more interesting and really kind of low rent requiring an adapter. I hate having even a normal USB jack hanging out of a USB jack, they can put so much torsion on the connector, with out adding in the length of the solid adapter. Anyway, I have all the pieces charging. Blew $5 on the FAA thing. All legal. Now only to find out my phone's version of android will not run the **** app. I have sent the folks who I bought the drone from a note. If the app is picky, this really should have been disclosed on the outside of the box, Now I am in for a 20% restocking fee if they want to be dicks. My credit card may back me up though.

Whoever came up with the idea of needing a smartphone to fly a drone should be throttled though. It is just a bad idea all around. In a year, the new version of android will not run the old app no doubt, so you have one slice of time when a really expensive toy has support. Not good. Not good at all.

The more I ponder this the more it makes me just wanna get my money back and put that in the paramotor fund.
First, welcome aboard. If I may offer up a small piece of advice. If you by chance have an iPad or a Samsung Tab, you should still be able to fly. But you must use your phone as a hotspot then you can WiFi your iPad or Tab to your phone. The GO4 app would be run on the iPad or Tab, not the phone.

Yes, the printed manuals suck. Most folks would do well to D/L the manual and other pertinent data from the DJI web arena. At least you would have the latest updated version.

Please do a search of the forums at the top level. You may be pleasantly surprised how many others have walked in your shoes as well..

Wishing you many joyous hours of flight.

R,
Jeffrey

Even cheap drones require you to use a smartphone at least for video if not also telemetry so I don't understand that complaint.
Most tablets that aren't ancient will run Go.
But like computers and software, as the software gets updated and improved, it requires more resources, where eventually the hardware and OS can't handle it.

You had difficulty getting the battery out of an MA1?

I do get not knowing about the full manual on DJI's website. But modern electronics are having you download the manual rather than providing a printed one. Besides saving on paper and weight, the mfr can easily provide updates.

Reactions: theDRONEranger

Regdog,
if it is any consolation, look back a couple of pages and read every post. You will see that I was having terrible problems getting my AIR to work. The guys on here helped me through that initial learning curve and now I love the little 'copter! It is actually a very, very capable, compact drone. Hopefully I can give a little bit back to this place:

If you download the manual from here:
Mavic Air- Download Center - DJI

And watch the tutorials here:
Mavic Air - Product Information - DJI

You can actually fly the drone without the remote control, just using your hands to control it. It won't fly very far, but it will take pictures of you and film you. May I suggest you get a high spec card for it to save the footage and pictures to, the internal storage will give you some, but a card is much better. Yes, it is tiny and a fiddle to get in and out. It is a small drone, you can't have small and spacious, that is a law of physics!

The battery is positively latched in, with two latches, for very good safety reasons. The system is excellent and very simple but very secure, provided you work with it, not against it. Just put the battery in tail end first and 'hinge' it down into the battery bay, then press it in firmly with two fingers while the drone lays, upside down in the palm of your other hand. I do this close to the ground or over soft landing, just in case I drop anything. If the battery lands on a hard surface, such as a tiled floor or stone path, it is likely to split or crack the case. Just like dropping your watch or mobile phone wouldn't like it either. THE BETTERY LOCKS INTO PLACE WITH TWO AUDIBLE CLICKS. This is important, which is why I have capitalised it. The slide catches each side clicking home. If one is not fully latched there is a red warning marker that is uncovered if so. If no red warning mark is visible and the two catches are all the way forward, the battery is properly secured.

I hope you get over the initial frustrations, I was very similar. Enjoy the little AIR, it is worth the effort. Just to cheer you up and show what it can do, I took this yesterday using mine. I am still very much a beginner.

web-0667.jpg

Youve just had a bad experience caused by your seller. Stick with it, the outcome will be worth it. Yes, you can fly the drone without the phone, but the app increases its capabilities tenfold. The controller is limited functionality and only really stops you getting into tight spots by limiting functionality, and helps you get out in event of a phone failure (dead battery etc). The app turns your drone into an incredible flying camera capable of stunning manual and automated flying, filming and photography. Once its all working and you see the end results, there will be no turning back.

Attachments

• untitled-18January 10, 2021.JPG
    untitled-18January 10, 2021.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 5
  • untitled-4December 28, 2020.JPG
    untitled-4December 28, 2020.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: KingRat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics