DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Tab A7 10.4" 2020 & Mavic Air 2

R1ch Air

Reactions
Hi all. New member here.
I have taken a lot from this site over the last few weeks so thought I'd share today's findings.
I know there is a lot of issues with tablet compatibility with the dji fly app and have noticed people having the no camera view issue.
I too had this problem and was about to give up and sell my brand new Samsung Tab A7 10.4. Android version 10 which I bought for my Air 2.
I had tried various things that I had read online and nothing made a difference.
I just happened to go to "Transmission" settings and changed it from HD to smooth and hey presto the camera view came on. I then changed it back to HD and the picture remains.
I haven't had chance to properly test it but the picture is great and if I move the gimbal around at speed the picture is perfectly smooth.
I also turned usb debugging on and cleared the defaults in the app settings however this did nothing until I changed it from HD to smooth.
Just thought I'd share this because I have been at my wits end with this and it may help other users and or other tablets.
Hope this helps someone ?

P.s This is my first drone and I absolutely love it. I'm hooked ?

Last edited:
Hi R1ch Air
Thanks for sharing this with us, i have a mate who is having the same problem
i'll pass on this info to him........????

No worries. I hope this helps ur friend.
I've just turned the drone back on and the same thing happened again. No camera view until I change to smooth and again continues to work when I change back to HD.
I guess I'm going to have to do this every time I use the tablet with the drone but at least it works now.

No worries. I hope this helps ur friend.
I've just turned the drone back on and the same thing happened again. No camera view until I change to smooth and again continues to work when I change back to HD.
I guess I'm going to have to do this every time I use the tablet with the drone but at least it works now.
ok thanks i'll pass it on....????

Thanks in advance for this! I am looking into getting a tablet for flying and have looked at the Samsung Tab A7's.
When I talk to or tell people about Mavic Pilots one thing always comes out. That is how great people are here for sharing their knowledge & experience to help others. Thanks for doing just that.
Please do let us know when you find out more. Have fun!!

Anybody have any experience flying/using the new Galaxy A7 8 inch tablet? Close family member just bought one on Cyber-Monday from Costco for 89.00 USD (Lists @ 140.00 USD). Of course they didn't let me know about the deal until it had expired. I have a LTE Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Tablet (with pen) and loved it but it can NOT be updated past Android 4.4 by any means.

I would think it should be able to go at least to 6. It started out with 4.1 and Samsung does support updates for a few years. It is low in RAM though, having only 2GB.

If it was rooted, that would cause OS update OTA to fail.

I would think it should be able to go at least to 6. It started out with 4.1 and Samsung does support updates for a few years. It is low in RAM though, having only 2GB.

If it was rooted, that would cause OS update OTA to fail.
You would think it would be updated to 6 at least but it did not. The highest official version of android for this device was 4.4. Samsung dropped the ball HARD on this and it was VERY upsetting to a lot of people who bought the Note 8.0. While the 2GB of ram is low by todays standards the tablet performs very well.

The device has never been rooted and even if it had been the bootloader is locked making unofficial upgrades impossible.

[snip]
I just happened to go to "Transmission" settings and changed it from HD to smooth and hey presto the camera view came on. I then changed it back to HD and the picture remains.
I haven't had chance to properly test it but the picture is great and if I move the gimbal around at speed the picture is perfectly smooth.
[snip]

I just got my A7 the other day and tested it out, and had the exact same experience. HOWEVER, it only worked for a minute or two. The picture froze and would not come back until I switched it back to SMOOTH once again.

So, I hate to say it, but I think if you use it for a bit longer (i.e. "proper testing") you'll probably find the same. Although I would be greatly interested to find out if you had no further issues. I'm kinda' bummed as it somewhat defeats the purpose of having a larger screen then my S10+. Not entirely, but definitely detracts.

Reactions: Zeprider
Hi all. New member here.
I have taken a lot from this site over the last few weeks so thought I'd share today's findings.
I know there is a lot of issues with tablet compatibility with the dji fly app and have noticed people having the no camera view issue.
I too had this problem and was about to give up and sell my brand new Samsung Tab A7 10.4. Android version 10 which I bought for my Air 2.
I had tried various things that I had read online and nothing made a difference.
I also turned usb debugging on and cleared the defaults in the app settings however this did nothing until I changed it from HD to smooth.
Just thought I'd share this because I have been at my wits end with this and it may help other users and or other tablets.

Hey R1ch Air, How's the Mavic Air 2 + Galaxy Tab A7 10.4? Were you able to take the test with a longer flight?

- What is the specific model of yours? Is it a SM-T500NZAQZTO?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all. New member here.

Thank you for your post. I too am a newbie and was excited to add the larger view of a tablet and bought a A7 10.4 as well. I had the same issue with the black screen. I had gone through the transmission settings too before I read your post and had no luck, after searching this forum for more ideas I came across your post and thought maybe I could try again.
I don't know if this is what made the difference for me but I made sure the AC was powered on first, the controller was on, I connected the cable then to the RC then launched the Fly app. Then I went to the transmission settings and went from HD to Smooth which turned on the video as you mentioned, then went back to HD. You were correct, it stayed on now. I don't know if it had anything to do with the order of operation but when I was trying just transmission settings last night I don't think I used that order of operation. I believe I had the app open everything on then tried to connect the tablet with the cable and nothing worked.
Thank you for your post I'm excited for a new view! This site has been amazing everyone is very helpful and supportive.

Just had this exact issue and was about to frisbee my tablet out the back door but luckily I googled the issue and this was the first post I saw. Worked like a charm, I appreciate the tip.

I'm glad this has helped some people. I didn't realise there had been a few responses to it so thank u. Unfortunately I haven't been able to fully test my tablet again yet. Lockdown and life is getting in the way. I'm itching to get out with it again and hopefully will be doing soon. I'll report back when I do. Again glad it has helped others. Happy flying ?

I just acquired a new Tab A7 10.4" 2020 and I can confirm that, for me, the solution works but ONLY in Smooth mode. The picture freezes the moment I switch it to HD. No live HD playback.

All devices are up to date including software and firmware.

This thread save me the other night when I almost forgot how to switch it back, the quality doesn't bother me, since the screen is only for me to "see" where my drone is about, as I know the actual recording on the SD card is what I have set through the recording settings.

I just acquired a new Tab A7 10.4" 2020 and I can confirm that, for me, the solution works but ONLY in Smooth mode. The picture freezes the moment I switch it to HD. No live HD playback.

All devices are up to date including software and firmware.
Last month I picked up a new Tab A7 from Costco. Was just about to post the same issue, though I haven't tried switching to smooth yet. The Tab works fine when taking photos and general flying but when I switch it to video and hit record, the screen freezes. It still records but nothing changes. can't even stop the recording.

Last month I picked up a new Tab A7 from Costco. Was just about to post the same issue, though I haven't tried switching to smooth yet. The Tab works fine when taking photos and general flying but when I switch it to video and hit record, the screen freezes. It still records but nothing changes. can't even stop the recording.
Sure enough. That's what it is. Switch to Smooth and it will start working. The image is not bad at all; you just feel the confidence of the beautiful onboard recording.

Reactions: OneQuickSix
Sure enough. That's what it is. Switch to Smooth and it will start working. The image is not bad at all; you just feel the confidence of the beautiful onboard recording.
Sorry to bring back an old post, but I JUST came across this scenario and was debating using my Tab A7 also for this. Does switching the Transmission from HD to Smooth impact the actual drone recording, or is it just the image that's displayed?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS