DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Tab S2 and GO 4

my tablet is fully updated to the newest OS and zero issues. but i also only use the tablet with the Mavic. so i deleted all unwanted and unneeded programs/apps

I also use the Galaxy Tab S2 with a Mavic Air and I never had a problem.
My tablet is a SM-T810, WI-FI only, so possibly a little bit more recent, though it is over 2 years old.
I found that the order of starting really did not matter much, since it worked with different combinations.
However I settled with:
- Power up the drone
- Power up the controller
- Start GO4
and as soon as the connection is established between drone and controller, I get the Go Fly tab on the tablet.
I use the USB standard connection (bottom of the RC) to micro USB (with a right angle cable).
The tablet is running under Android 7.0
For what it is worth, I tried several tablets unsuccessfully (Samsung A, and others) before using the S2 (which I already had.)
I wanted a dedicated display for the RC...

I also use the Galaxy Tab S2 with a Mavic Air and I never had a problem.
My tablet is a SM-T810, WI-FI only, so possibly a little bit more recent, though it is over 2 years old.
I found that the order of starting really did not matter much, since it worked with different combinations.
However I settled with:
- Power up the drone
- Power up the controller
- Start GO4
and as soon as the connection is established between drone and controller, I get the Go Fly tab on the tablet.
I use the USB standard connection (bottom of the RC) to micro USB (with a right angle cable).
The tablet is running under Android 7.0
For what it is worth, I tried several tablets unsuccessfully (Samsung A, and others) before using the S2 (which I already had.)
I wanted a dedicated display for the RC...
I read somewhere that the hardware in the t713 is very different from newer models such as the t810 , shopping for a used iPad mini 4 now.

Reactions: Mavic 57
I read somewhere that the hardware in the t713 is very different from newer models such as the t810 , shopping for a used iPad mini 4 now.
As I've described several times previously, my T713 works perfectly with my Mavic Air and its controller, and a lot of other Mavic pilots have had success using the same phone. There must be something in your configuration settings (or something) that is preventing yours from connecting properly.

Larry

From the Phantomhelp website , recommended mobile devices :

ClaudioNC

Dec '18

There are differences in behavior between one Samsung and another.
Don’t write only Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, it says nothing, because is true and also not true!
Apart from the differentiation between 8 “and 9.7”, there are at least 4 variants, and this is the cause of different behaviors and different repeatable problems.
Versions with and without 4G/LTE, and with different electronics, Chipset, CPU, GPU, have their importance and great influence on the behaviour.
Even the Android OS version could change the games.
These are the different versions I well know of S2, and each name begins with the suffix SM- (for example: SM-T815)
8 inch:
T710 [Wi-Fi], T715 [4G/LTE] and T713 [Wi-Fi], T719 [4G/LTE]
9.7 inch:
T810 [Wi-Fi], T815 [4G/LTE] and T813 [Wi-Fi], T819 [4G/LTE]
The most problematic, instable or unusable (and that is likely to drive you crazy) with DJI GO 4 apps, moded or not, and DJI remote controller are these: T713, T719, T813, T819.
Even when you are thinking to have finally discovered a tricky way on how make DJI GO 4 work and show your drone connected, you can aspect the next time or in the near future to be stopped again and it refuse to be connected, even after repeated restarts of all, tablet, RC and aircraft.
Seems to be a random instabilty, but this happens very frequently with the same discomforting results, ambiguous results, initially good, later not anymore, as if something happened in the cache memory or in the system preferences that create conflicts.
If you want to be ready to fly, without having these unacceptable obstacles stopping suddenly your DJI drone to ground, these Samsung tablet are probably the worst solution, despite their strong point of a good visibilty under strong light and sun.
So, if you want a good Galaxy Tab S2 for your DJI GO 4 app, these are the compatible versions:
Size 8": T710, T715
Size 9.7": T810, T815
AVOID ALL THE OTHERS!

My phone's too old to try , I need another phone or tablet to try before I go to the dark side and buy an ipad

Just something to try if possible. Does your Tablet have a setting that configures the USB port behaviour? My Galaxy S7 would not connect until I set it to "Midi" instead of the default "Charge this phone".

Well I have a Tab S3 that needs to have USB debugging on to work reliably. I just received a Tab S4 today and it seems to not need it although I haven't flown with it yet. Might try settings -> apps -> Dji Go 4 and reset permissions and defaults, it should then promt you again when you plug in the controller.

Well I have a Tab S3 that needs to have USB debugging on to work reliably. I just received a Tab S4 today and it seems to not need it although I haven't flown with it yet. Might try settings -> apps -> Dji Go 4 and reset permissions and defaults, it should then promt you again when you plug in the controller.
Tried that too , no go .

Never done a factory reset , what are the consequences , what will I lose , will it go back to Marshmallow ?
You'll lose everything, it'll be like it was when new. Make sure and backup anything you want to keep before you do it.

Does it even acknowledge when you plug the cable in (in the notifications)?

From the Phantomhelp website , recommended mobile devices :

ClaudioNC

Dec '18

There are differences in behavior between one Samsung and another.
Don’t write only Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, it says nothing, because is true and also not true!
Apart from the differentiation between 8 “and 9.7”, there are at least 4 variants, and this is the cause of different behaviors and different repeatable problems.
Versions with and without 4G/LTE, and with different electronics, Chipset, CPU, GPU, have their importance and great influence on the behaviour.
Even the Android OS version could change the games.
These are the different versions I well know of S2, and each name begins with the suffix SM- (for example: SM-T815)
8 inch:
T710 [Wi-Fi], T715 [4G/LTE] and T713 [Wi-Fi], T719 [4G/LTE]
9.7 inch:
T810 [Wi-Fi], T815 [4G/LTE] and T813 [Wi-Fi], T819 [4G/LTE]
The most problematic, instable or unusable (and that is likely to drive you crazy) with DJI GO 4 apps, moded or not, and DJI remote controller are these: T713, T719, T813, T819.
Even when you are thinking to have finally discovered a tricky way on how make DJI GO 4 work and show your drone connected, you can aspect the next time or in the near future to be stopped again and it refuse to be connected, even after repeated restarts of all, tablet, RC and aircraft.
Seems to be a random instabilty, but this happens very frequently with the same discomforting results, ambiguous results, initially good, later not anymore, as if something happened in the cache memory or in the system preferences that create conflicts.
If you want to be ready to fly, without having these unacceptable obstacles stopping suddenly your DJI drone to ground, these Samsung tablet are probably the worst solution, despite their strong point of a good visibilty under strong light and sun.
So, if you want a good Galaxy Tab S2 for your DJI GO 4 app, these are the compatible versions:
Size 8": T710, T715
Size 9.7": T810, T815
AVOID ALL THE OTHERS!

I have tab S2 710 model and it does not work with the app. I have no problem connecting to the app but the picture becomes very unstable after moving the drone itself. Almost like the processor can not keep up with the video. I have tried a factory reset as well to clear everything on it but sadly still does not work.

Ordered a Lenovo Tab 4 Pro which should be here in a week or so

Update : finally got my hands on a used Ipad Mini 4 , connects right away , snow coming tomorrow so i'll have to wait for better weather to fly .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman