DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Satellite connection

minipro3

Reactions
Trying to understand the satellite connection. Does the drone connect to satellites just for RTH, or are there other functions in play.
If I’m correct, when I fly my mini pro indoors there is no satellite connection.
I shut off obstacle avoidance, set RTH to hover and make sure I have good lighting and go slow, with no issues.

Reactions: Gagey52
I think they use gps all the time to hold their position. Plus it's used on waypoint missions. And that's how it displays it's location on the map.

Reactions: minipro3
@minipro32 the satellite connection is how the drone is able to hold its position ,when the sticks on the RC are not touched it is called GPS lock and is essential for the RTH to be able to function correctly
if as you say you are indoors without GPS lock then the downwards facing vision sensors are what keep the drone hovering in place ,but as you say because there is no GPS then any movements require care as the drone takes longer to come to a stop ,

Trying to understand the satellite connection. Does the drone connect to satellites just for RTH, or are there other functions in play.
If I’m correct, when I fly my mini pro indoors there is no satellite connection.
The drone has a GNSS receiver (GNSS=Global Navigation Satellite System) that can receive signals from the various positional satellites in orbit (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou). These signals tells the drone its exact position at any time, so it knows where it is, and with the help of the compass it knows the direction to go home in case of RTH.
The drone needs open view to the sky to get signals from enough satellites, and indoors you will get none or very weak reception.

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13