DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saving weight. Removing the batter door

YellowJacket

Reactions
The battery door is not necessary for me. Anybody know what type of hinge it is? Can I just rip it off?

Last edited:
The battery door is not necessary for me. Anybody know why type of hinge it is? Can I just rip it off?
saving what weight really and to what purpose would you want to deface you MM

Reactions: Peter Hughes
Again, it's not going to save you enough weight to make a difference. If that was yout goal, build a dedicated FPV rig or strip off all the body and call it a day.

Again, it's not going to save you enough weight to make a difference. If that was yout goal, build a dedicated FPV rig or strip off all the body and call it a day.
That's what I'm trying to do. Strip off as much weight as possible from the mm.

Because I am looking for an fpv solution and so far the best candidate is strapping a DJI FPV camera on top. I love to fly with superb optics.
DJI FPV System is a great FPV camera, but it's not designed for superb optics. Even in DJI's own promotional video for the FPV system, they use the FPV for low latency navigation, but they use an Osmo camera for the video recording.

If you want FPV, why not buy or build a FPV drone? None of the Mavics are designed for FPV, they are cinematic drones.

Reactions: old man mavic
That's what I'm trying to do. Strip off as much weight as possible from the mm.
Taking the battery door off isn't going to accomplish anything is what I'm trying to say. You'd have to strip the entire body for any worth and it still won't negate the weight of an fpv camera and transmitter. You're talking about destroying an entry level cinematic drone to try and repurpose it into a mediocre fpv drone. Your toy your joy so do what ya want but just not worth IMO.

DJI FPV System is a great FPV camera, but it's not designed for superb optics. Even in DJI's own promotional video for the FPV system, they use the FPV for low latency navigation, but they use an Osmo camera for the video recording.

If you want FPV, why not buy or build a FPV drone? None of the Mavics are designed for FPV, they are cinematic drones.
Because I like DJI GPS positioning flight system. I don't got the time to worry about all the other ********.

Because I like DJI GPS positioning flight system. I don't got the time to worry about all the other ********.
In that case, I would go for a solution that didn't required bolting on a second camera and a second radio transmission system. Like a Mavic Air or Pro with the DJI Goggles.

At any rate, the DJI FPV unit weighs 45.8 g, and the two antennas are 3.9, that's nearly 54 g there. With mounting hardware, call it 60 g. For a drone that weighs 250 g. There is no way that you are going eliminate 60 g of material from a Mavic Mini. You can knock 50 g off by getting the Japanese edition, but that weight came from the battery, and it cut flying time by about 50%. Adding more weight and using the Japanese battery would cut down the flying time to probably 12 minutes. At that point, just get the Mavic Air and the DJI Goggles.

And if you somehow managed to get the Mini flying with DJI FPV, you now have two separate remote controllers to use. The FPV Controller isn't going to control the Mavic, you'll need to use the Mavic controller.

Last edited:
The battery door is not necessary for me. Anybody know what type of hinge it is? Can I just rip it off?

Its one of those things where the theory was good but the concept is not enough to get you where you want to be.
When it comes down to quality of Optics , 1080 looks bad on wide sceen comuters screen where as 2K is the sweet spot , very little difference in 2K and 4k on the wide screen
thus 8K would be the next jump . Better optics will be more of a let down than anything else unless your looking for picture quality and that demands you sell this one and get the Mavic 2 Pro / Zoom

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Storm.
Coal

Battery door probably weighs only 2gram. Top cover about 8 grams. Bottom cover 2gram. Another 8 grams if you remove battery shell casing, but then you risk disconnection of battery connector mid flight. Besides with covers removed you will decrease resale for sure as there will be scuffed marks all over the drone. You also risk water damage if you'll fly in anything than dry summer weather without covers. All that risk for maybe maximum of 20gram (if even that) weight reduction. That will only increase flight time by about 2-3 minutes. It's not worth it imho.
Just for reference original DJI propeller guards weigh about 47gram and with them flight time is reduced by 12 minutes.
Much better solution would be to sell your Mini 2 while it's in ok condition and put that money down for another drone with longer flight time.
That been said, as of now the only drone from DJI with substantially longer flight time is Mavic 3 (if I had to chose from newer models). It's crazy expensive, but it is what it is unfortunately.

Reactions: Grazuncle
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vishal@12