DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scared to fly!!

State Farm Insurance is a much better deal than DJI Refresh. They don't call it "drone insurance", but rather it is an article insurance or something like that. I just popped into a local State Farm office and they got me all taken care of. You do not need to have a home owners or any other type of insurance with them.

State Farm Insurance is a much better deal than DJI Refresh. They don't call it "drone insurance", but rather it is an article insurance or something like that. I just popped into a local State Farm office and they got me all taken care of. You do not need to have a home owners or any other type of insurance with them.
But you do have to be in a star where they offer it.

Go to an open field/park. Start it up and bring it up 6ft off the ground. Just let it hover for a minute. You’ll see how stable it is without doing anything.
Then slowly move forward a bit, release joystick and watch it hover. Then back, left, right, etc. Do it a few times to get used to it.

He said it perfectly.. Follow this advice. I was nervous a few months ago with a Mavic, now I fly over the water basically all the time.

Welcome,
You have selected a very good drone to fly as a beginner.
When it doubt, don't touch the sticks. The Mavic Air will hover in place.
This is not to be taken lightly. There are MANY drones which will drift a few feet when the sticks are not touched.
The Mavic Air was my first "serious" drone after alot of failures with toy drones. I could not get any toy drones to hover in place.
Some people say to start with toy drones and work up. I was so bad, that I was spending all my time chasing the crashed toy drone, starting again and crashing.
Once I got the Mavic Air (and first indoor crash) I spent time using the simulator that came with the DJI GO 4 app. This got me familiar with up/down/right/left and rotate without having to chase the drone all the time. I remember reading that part of the App has been discontinued. That's ashame. Since then I got the DJI flight simulator, which blows away the DJI GO 4 app. As a side note: After practice with the simulators, I can fly toy drones now.
I too practice alot in open fields. However, this last week was my first outdoor crash into some cat tails on our pond. It was low on batteries, and the lady was barking at me to land, so I gave it too much "lets get home" stick while going sideways. Going sideways with the Mavic Air is natures way of thinning the herd. No obstacle sensing there.
I was VERY lucky that the MA hung up in the cat tails and didn't drop into the pond.
Needless to say, I was reluctant to fly again after that experience, so I know the feeling of losing ones confidence as a pilot.
Getting back on the horse is the only solution I can think of, with just more practice.
I find practicing the right to left, left to right pattern, more than the forwards and backwards helps me more.

You will get good advice here.
Good luck with your new drone!

Any tips or recs to get over this fear? Also, any beginner tips I need to know to fly my drone?

Thanks so much!

What helped me more than anything I’ve read here is DJI’s Flight Simulator. I spent hours practicing on that thing and when I finally took off for real; there was zero fear and familiarity with the controls. I’d download the flight simulator by DJI for starters . . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piggybank292003