DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scared to fly!!

Hi!! I'm a newbie from NY. I bought the Mavic Air a few weeks ago and i'm a bit afraid to fly it. I tried it (taking it off the ground) and was scared and brought it right back down. I wish i knew someone that had one and could teach me but sadly, none of my friends have a drone. Any tips or recs to get over this fear? Also, any beginner tips I need to know to fly my drone?

Thanks so much!
when people ask me if it’s difficult to fly my answer is always no its not but i suggest you buy a tillo and when you master that then you will be more than ready to fly the air,its much more difficult to fly a tiny drone than it is with a larger one.

Reactions: Gryphon962
Hi!! I'm a newbie from NY. I bought the Mavic Air a few weeks ago and i'm a bit afraid to fly it. I tried it (taking it off the ground) and was scared and brought it right back down. I wish i knew someone that had one and could teach me but sadly, none of my friends have a drone. Any tips or recs to get over this fear? Also, any beginner tips I need to know to fly my drone?

Thanks so much!
Drone Camps RC in YouTube has s good tutorial on flying for the first time

Reactions: Bill combs
palekaiko

I am also a "newbie" - I am also the type of person that I "jumped right in" and started flying without really reading the manual. Well the first time I tried to the RTH feature I got one heck of s surprise when the MA went to straight up to 90' - very thankfully the MA was in an open area and not under the high tension power lines near where I fly. So yes like others have said - start out in an open area.

Thanks so much!

If you have a backyard, make a chart, and just fly it around in your backyard every day for at least one battery per day. Those 15 minute practice periods really add up over time! I’m on my third straight month!

IMG_9107.JPG

If you have a backyard, make a chart, and just fly it around in your backyard every day for at least one battery per day. Those 15 minute practice periods really add up over time! I’m on my third straight month!

View attachment 78789

Also, tools you might enjoy having:

Dark Sky app for hyper-local weather
Plane Finder - To watch for flight patterns
Kittyhawk - To see what’s around you (airspace) and also request LAANC clearance if needed.

Keep VLOS on your MA at all times.

Also, do you have access to Lynda.com (or now LinkedIn learning) at your local library? Great drone courses!

Thanks so much!
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Just take it slow and enjoy your new Mavic Air, Fly safe and have fun!

Thanks so much!
Where in NY If you are near me I could help you! I live on LI.

Did State Farm give you a drone specific policy or is it part of your home owners policy ?
State Farm coverage varies state to state, it's a PAP Policy ( Personal Articles Policy) and many agents will do a stand alone policy without having any other coverage for home or auto, average cost is $60 a year.

Yes! I need confidence (which I don't have). I had no idea what to expect when I took it off the ground and got scared. It took me awhile to even connect my phone to the remote lol. Im usually really good with technology too. How do you use auto start?
I think what was meant was Auto Take Off, which takes the drone up to about 10 feet and hovers.

After reading back thru this, no one has mentions registering your drone with FAA and putting the numbers visible from the outside the craft.

One other thing to remember when everything seems as it's going wrong, just let go of the sticks and the drone will hover in place ( heavy wind is a different story ) or press the PAUSE Button and take a deep breathe to gather what to do next. Many in all the excitement will not realize after the crash they were making stick inputs.

Thanks so much!
At least you got yours turned on and lifted it up and down my Mavic Pro is on magnetic interference so I can’t even turn it on. Lol

You don't really need much space but you need a spot with zero distractions. NOT A PARK.... Then just fly a simple box pattern. Up to eye level ..out..a few feet, over a few feet then back and over in front of you. Once you get good at that drill ( and you get bored with it) you can practice with the drone facing you. Don't plan on flying in a strange place until you are more experienced.
You could check out a local RC flying club or field. The local one near me is OK with drones and quite a few members have them. ...or they could be jerks..and you'll decide ..heck with it ..I'll just fly the **** thing..
Have fun

Reactions: Broken Arrow
I live in the Bronx , there are many places to fly. Check AirMap to see the open areas. I have a park near me. Pelham bay, also can Van cortlandt park. In. Queens the problem there is Larguadia airport , which , where I live I just make the mark of being outside the restricted airspace. 7.8 miles from them. I don’t know what part of queens , but near the throngs neck bridge there is a bit of open area. Air map and kittyhawk can show you the open Areas. They may not be much in altitudes or wife space but since your beginning , like the gentlemen I’m the forum states earlier, keep the bird close to you and practice maneuvers. What I learn quickly, is this , face your bird with its tail to you , so you can learn the right and left maneuvers first. Be gently with your sticks. DONT PANIC !! Just return her back slowly. Hope I helped a bit.
Best to you brotha , happy flying. ?

Welcome to the forum :)

thanks so much everyone! I had a friend of a friend teach me the basics of how to fly it and i feel a bit more comfortable with it. still not super comfortable flying it in hawaii when i go but wish me luck.

Always buy a cheap drone first, then take chances, crash a few times, and get better. Know that each time you take off, it may be your last flight. Consider the investment as gone. The cheaper drones are actually harder to fly. As your skill improve, get better equipment, but still consider the investment as a total loss.

At the computer club where I hold a drone workshop, someone there bought a Tello Fly More, and right after I got one. We have fun flying it in the classroom and let others fly ours. Hit the wall or ceiling? No big deal. The only issue is if the props fly off when struck. They are tiny and often hard to find. But we bought colored spares.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ112