DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scared to fly!!

palekaiko

Reactions
Hi!! I'm a newbie from NY. I bought the Mavic Air a few weeks ago and i'm a bit afraid to fly it. I tried it (taking it off the ground) and was scared and brought it right back down. I wish i knew someone that had one and could teach me but sadly, none of my friends have a drone. Any tips or recs to get over this fear? Also, any beginner tips I need to know to fly my drone?

Thanks so much!

There is so much information about flying and fear of flying on you tube that you should be able to find something that can help...The best thing I can tell you is to practice in wide open areas and keep the drone in front of yourself until you get used to what it can and can't do

Hi!! I'm a newbie from NY. I bought the Mavic Air a few weeks ago and i'm a bit afraid to fly it. I tried it (taking it off the ground) and was scared and brought it right back down. I wish i knew someone that had one and could teach me but sadly, none of my friends have a drone. Any tips or recs to get over this fear? Also, any beginner tips I need to know to fly my drone?

Thanks so much!
Yes.moat have felt that pain before. Leave in beginner mode. I would just left off the ground by launch control. “On the screen”. It should lift a few feet up only. Make sure you read the manual. Then small movements with controls until you understand them. Then basically fly real small area. Like 10 up and maybe 10 around you, with super slow with controls. See the idea real small and work your way up.

Welcome, first time I flew my Pro I was paralyzed by fear. There are many post here for first time fliers. I learnt alot from watching YouTube, Russ @ "51Drones" is a great place to start. It gets easier each time enjoy.

Baby steps - welcome - steer clear of water at all times till you are very comfortable - if u have DJI care refresh that should make u comfortable!

Welcome, first time I flew my Pro I was paralyzed by fear. There are many post here for first time fliers. I learnt alot from watching YouTube, Russ @ "51Drones" is a great place to start. It gets easier each time enjoy.

Thank you!! I've watched endless youtube videos but still am not confident enough. i'm going to Hawaii in a month and really wanted to use it there but i'm so afraid! There's also not many places where I can fly it near me. I live in nyc so its very limited to like 5 parks here.

Thanks so much!
Curious. Where in NY?

Thank you!! I've watched endless youtube videos but still am not confident enough. i'm going to Hawaii in a month and really wanted to use it there but i'm so afraid! There's also not many places where I can fly it near me. I live in nyc so its very limited to like 5 parks here.
Being NY, are you sure you’re even aloud to fly in the parks? I’d be surprised if they aren’t public open spaces, hence you’d be unlikely to be able to find an area where you weren’t likely to potentially fly over members of the public, which, as a novice, would be very risky!

Thanks so much!

Two thing need to happen : Confidence in yourself and the drone.

Best thing you can do is use the auto start and let it hover for as long as your settings will allow and watch what happens when the battery get low.
You can take pictures , get use to record , watch the lights and just get comfortable with that and than start to spin the drone , watch the lag , blur on your video when the drone is spinning. Than hover at 100 , 200 and 400 . This will get you prepared for moving forward and using the return to home .

Phantomrain.org
Coal

So if you were scared taking off , thats a good place to start following the recommendations posted here by the forum members. See where you are by the time of your trip and review your progress to determine if you should take it with you.
Ask yourself what you hope to do with the drone on your trip vs space availability or park locations to practice.

Ultimately, you have a nice trip coming up ,and ,adding learning to fly a drone may be adding some pressure with a deadline coming up.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Two thing need to happen : Confidence in yourself and the drone.

Best thing you can do is use the auto start and let it hover for as long as your settings will allow and watch what happens when the battery get low.
You can take pictures , get use to record , watch the lights and just get comfortable with that and than start to spin the drone , watch the lag , blur on your video when the drone is spinning. Than hover at 100 , 200 and 400 . This will get you prepared for moving forward and using the return to home .

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Yes! I need confidence (which I don't have). I had no idea what to expect when I took it off the ground and got scared. It took me awhile to even connect my phone to the remote lol. Im usually really good with technology too. How do you use auto start?

Being NY, are you sure you’re even aloud to fly in the parks? I’d be surprised if they aren’t public open spaces, hence you’d be unlikely to be able to find an area where you weren’t likely to potentially fly over members of the public, which, as a novice, would be very risky!
Yes, there are only 5 parks with designated aircraft fields where I could fly it. Still scared to fly it though!!

Go to an open field/park. Start it up and bring it up 6ft off the ground. Just let it hover for a minute. You’ll see how stable it is without doing anything.
Then slowly move forward a bit, release joystick and watch it hover. Then back, left, right, etc. Do it a few times to get used to it.

I know what you mean.
With me it was the high pitch of the props spinning and it still kind of gets my attention but I look at it as a good thing because it just makes me more cautious when taking off and using the sticks on the controller.
Just take your time in a big empty lot and have fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54