DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Here

dondford

Reactions
New member here, total newbie with drones. Retired with plenty of time on my hands and always thought drones were neat, have several ideas on how to use a drone for fishing and hunting. Ordered a "beginner" drone and it should be here tomorrow. My idea is to learn the basis with this drone and if all goes well (and I'm not completely overwhelmed) I will move up to a better drone.
Regards,
Don

New member here, total newbie with drones. Retired with plenty of time on my hands and always thought drones were neat, have several ideas on how to use a drone for fishing and hunting. Ordered a "beginner" drone and it should be here tomorrow. My idea is to learn the basis with this drone and if all goes well (and I'm not completely overwhelmed) I will move up to a better drone.
Regards,
Don
Welcome to the forum.
Be prepared for a surge of well wishers, welcomers and greeters!
Expect some encouragement in getting your T.R.U.S.T. certificate
and other useful tips and suggestions as you begin your new journey.
Your life will never be the same!

Hello from the Crossroads of America dondford.

Nice to meet you Don. 🤝

If you haven't done it yet, you need to take the TRUST test and keep a copy with you when you fly.

It's a free no fail test that's easy to take that covers the basics of flying a drone.

Depending on what you are flying, it may need to be registered with the FAA.

Here's an app that will help you check your airspace before flights and may be able to get permission to fly if you fly near an airport.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome from Bakersfield.
My idea is to learn the basis with this drone and if all goes well
Keep reading the Advice and posts on this forum and you will go Far
As for "beginner" drone as far as that goes- For Camera drones they all pretty much fly the same in the non-sport modes. SO once you get the hang of your "beginner" Drone you will be ready for the larger one. As long as you leave the sport mode alone until you are familier with how the drone flys and brakes- you will be fine.

New member here, total newbie with drones.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do… @MA2 317 has already given you the heads-up and the links. Please use them, nothing is so intimidating as having a neighbor call the police and they ask you for your papers (TRUST Certificate and Registration if required…) and you replying, "My What?"

Since you live in Alabama, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks for all the Welcome post and great advice. RodPad, my Attop Pack 18 arrived this morning (don't judge, hoping it will make a OK learning drone...) Knee deep in reading manuals, charging batteries, etc. It may be fairy steep learning curve. Wish me luck. and I apologize in advance for the dumb questions I may be asking....

apologize in advance for the dumb questions I may be asking....
As they say, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask... Remember, YouTube is your friend, reading the manuals is good, but sometimes seeing it makes more sense...

Thanks for all the Welcome post and great advice. RodPad, my Attop Pack 18 arrived this morning (don't judge, hoping it will make a OK learning drone...) Knee deep in reading manuals, charging batteries, etc. It may be fairy steep learning curve. Wish me luck. and I apologize in advance for the dumb questions I may be asking....
Thanks for replying to me, so much changed since I bought P2V+ in 2015, no it wasn't $1400 :rolleyes:

I guess you don't need any parts from this one.

I will look your model later!! Thumbswayup👌

Rod ..

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas