DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scary issue,.. Anyone else having this happen?

Does anyone else have this problem?

On occasion I’ll fly the drone out of control/feed range. The connection drops, you wait a few seconds, and then it pops back in as the drone starts heading back. But lately it’s been doing something else as well,.. Just about the moment things come back online I hear “Home point updated, check it on the map”. It doesn’t actually do it as the drone will indeed continue back to its marked home point. But it’s such an unnerving thing to hear as your drone is on the fringes of controllable range. If it indeed does establish a new home point uninstructed, it’s a pretty good way to lose the drone.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Had the exact same thing happen to me the other day on my MA2. Definitely had the pucker factor elevated.

In every aspect other than still photography it is.
No. The air 2 has a few more software advantages sort of I t’s not for me, I dislike the fly app it’s hard to see the numbers. for the telemetry I don’t like the battery progression tiny dial , the go 4 app is laid out much better the M 2P as a variable aperture the M2P weighs a little more so it’s a little bit forgiving in the wind for things like hyper lapses, better camera 20 megapixel. I think the jury is probably still out as far as the air 2 battery longevity it hasn’t been out long enough to determine out I don’t think time will tell

No. The air 2 has a few more software advantages sort of I t’s not for me, I dislike the fly app it’s hard to see the numbers. for the telemetry I don’t like the battery progression tiny dial , the go 4 app is laid out much better the M 2P as a variable aperture the M2P weighs a little more so it’s a little bit forgiving in the wind for things like hyper lapses, better camera 20 megapixel. I think the jury is probably still out as far as the air 2 battery longevity it hasn’t been out long enough to determine out I don’t think time will tell
You forgot a slew of other things, but history was MP1 then MA1 which was called Air because it was a bit lighter in feature set and subsequently cheaper in price. I would say the M2 series is again king right now till the M3 makes a debut. I wouldn't trade my M2Z for a MA2..in fact I cancelled my MA2 preorder and bought the M2Z for it's feature set. It's not that I don't want a MA2 now, but that is in supplement to my M2Z. My M2Z zoom is even better than what the MA2 offers. But to each there own we all have our own variables that we purchase these things for....Carry on :)

So I gotta ask...is there alot of JetSki action in in Ole' Minnesota? And is it really a JetSki...or just a Waverunner type thing.. Kinda like kleenex and tissue :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
You forgot a slew of other things, but history was MP1 then MA1 which was called Air because it was a bit lighter in feature set and subsequently cheaper in price. I would say the M2 series is again king right now till the M3 makes a debut. I wouldn't trade my M2Z for a MA2..in fact I cancelled my MA2 preorder and bought the M2Z for it's feature set. It's not that I don't want a MA2 now, but that is in supplement to my M2Z. My M2Z zoom is even better than what the MA2 offers. But to each there own we all have our own variables that we purchase these things for....Carry on :)

So I gotta ask...is there alot of JetSki action in in Ole' Minnesota? And is it really a JetSki...or just a Waverunner type thing.. Kinda like kleenex and tissue :p
One thing I learned early on with this hobby is that if it’s a serious hobby you definitely need a back up drone so I do have an Evo because I live in Minneapolis where there are a lot of TFrs so I thought it would come in if I had a lot more money I would probably get a MA2 as a back up but I am retired living on a fixed income, I used to have a Yamaha WaveRunner that was over 12 years ago or so too many injuries to do that anymore those days are long gone we are periodically still getting these in the 80s but they’re going fast
Happy flying

You can try to mount a case that the M2P is better, but I don’t see how you can with a 2 Zoom.

You can try to mount a case that the M2P is better, but I don’t see how you can with a 2 Zoom.

As I said different strokes for different folks... Feature set isn't all about the camera when all you need is mostly 1080P. But if you want my take and then I am done. I have O/A on top. I can go faster..Mine is modifiable though two vendors on firmware..can do zero restrictions..Alt. Speed. climb ratio..ect. I have third party support for mapping and autonomous missions. I have Optical zoom. I have a full feature set of controls not available to a MA2 with a SC (That may be limited gain now) Mine is a 2 year old tested air frame and software/firmware. Go 4 blows the heck out of the Air App...they make a slew of aftermarket parts for mine...so yeah as of this date I do think I made a better choice :p If DJI wanted to they could easily update my firmware to do everything they gave with the MA2, they already gave me the range. YMMV..so I'm done with off topic for this thread. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I had a similar problem when using a Samsung S8 tablet but since biting the bullet and purchasing a new iPad Mini 5, have not had any disconnections at all, even after flying 2-miles out.

On occasion I’ll fly the drone out of control/feed range. The connection drops, you wait a few seconds, and then it pops back in as the drone starts heading back. But lately it’s been doing something else as well,.. Just about the moment things come back online I hear “Home point updated, check it on the map”. It doesn’t actually do it as the drone will indeed continue back to its marked home point. But it’s such an unnerving thing to hear as your drone is on the fringes of controllable range. If it indeed does establish a new home point uninstructed, it’s a pretty good way to lose the drone.

Please please please Report this as a bug to DGI support, including the log as evidence !

Whenever it's doing is wrong - as a software/firmware engineer, following a bad code pathway, in any circumstance, is a major problem, or disaster prélude.

That message "Home Point updated" could easily be due to memory miss-Referencing, memory corruption or just plain logic error..... at some point it will be a true disaster for a lot of birds, not just the odd one or two bumping into a little bug.

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I had a similar problem when using a Samsung S8 tablet but since biting the bullet and purchasing a new iPad Mini 5, have not had any disconnections at all, even after flying 2-miles out.
Unless you're using it to block the line of sight between the transmitter and the aircraft, the type of phone/tablet you're using has exactly nothing to do with range.

Reactions: ajkm
Unless you're using it to block the line of sight between the transmitter and the aircraft, the type of phone/tablet you're using has exactly nothing to do with range.
It does when the phone/tablet (Samsung tablet in my case) screen unexpectedly blanks out completely and you're unable to see where you're flying. That happened on multiple occasions and I'm sure the tablet wasn't blocking the LOS between transmitter and aircraft. I suspect it may have had something to do with the tablets' processing speed but don't know that for sure. Prior to using the S8 Tablet I had been using my Samsung Galaxy S10 cell phone with absolutely no issues. I upgraded to an iPad Mini 5 because I like having the larger screen. I'm an Android, Samsung fan but not to the point of, or at the expense of losing my MA2.

Reactions: MA2 317
I've also had this happen. It always comes home but it was a little scary the first time that it happened. DJI needs to address it. It doesn't bother me anymore but I'd rather not get the false notification.

Same happen to me, latest app have this bug it seems.

Alert: I just tested this with the Air 2 on a remote landing on the lake and sure enough it reset the Home Point

When the drone started to land do to low battery it shot back out over the lake to the new established new Home Point.
I was surprised but cancelled it immediately and landed.

I will post the video of it soon.

Last edited:
Sounds like the software is going through some initialization routines after reestablishing contact. This behavior does not surprise me at all.

This also appeard to me on my last fly. I lost signal, and when i got it back i received voice message "your home point has beeen updated" It was something unexpected and i was worry at least.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr