DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scary question

A hot air balloon is a manned aircraft. We are required by the FAA to avoid them.

Sure, but there are always exceptions - e.g. you are working with the balloon pilot to get some footage. Maybe the OP was looking to get some drone footage of their balloon flight and was doing a bit of homework before approaching the balloons pilot with the request. Or even has a paying job getting footage at a balloon fest or marketing for the balloonist? Seems like a pretty sensible question to want to ask up front in all those circumstances to me. Of course, most balloon flights tend to last longer than an M2's battery life and I definitely wouldn't want to try and launch or recover from the gondola while in-flight! Far too many ropes and things it could foul on!

FWIW, I've done similar with a paraglider; we pre-planned some shot sequences, established a vocabulary we were going to use up front, then used a radio mic to stay in contact while I flew my M2P from the ground to communicate our relative positions, intended changes to direction of flight, etc. While I didn't get too close within the direction of flight (including an allowance for sudden gusts of wind), I did close to about 10m for a section of a chase sequence.

Sure, but there are always exceptions - e.g. you are working with the balloon pilot to get some footage. Maybe the OP was looking to get some drone footage of their balloon flight and was doing a bit of homework before approaching the balloons pilot with the request. Or even has a paying job getting footage at a balloon fest or marketing for the balloonist? Seems like a pretty sensible question to want to ask up front in all those circumstances to me. Of course, most balloon flights tend to last longer than an M2's battery life and I definitely wouldn't want to try and launch or recover from the gondola while in-flight! Far too many ropes and things it could foul on!

FWIW, I've done similar with a paraglider; we pre-planned some shot sequences, established a vocabulary we were going to use up front, then used a radio mic to stay in contact while I flew my M2P from the ground to communicate our relative positions, intended changes to direction of flight, etc. While I didn't get too close within the direction of flight (including an allowance for sudden gusts of wind), I did close to about 10m for a section of a chase sequence.

"I'm working with a hot air balloon company to get some marketing footage, and I wonder if there are any concerns with safety, particularly with the aircraft's blades and the balloon itself if I veer too close?"

Is different from:

"Do you think a drone ( In my case a Mavic 2 pro ) would slice its way through a hot air balloon?."

One is a reasonable question with a specific context, the other is a bit concerning, which is why a lot of us folks with decades of aviation experience are a little concerned. Is there context? Has it been given since? Not that I've seen.

Original Poster: Can you please give us context for this question? Thanks!

If I didn't like them hot air balloons flying over my place I could think of better ways to get rid of them than attacking them with my M2P!

just kidding guys just kidding! LOL

On a more serious note I really doubt a M2P would pose any risk to the craft it's self but could pose a risk to the P.I.C. as well as the passengers. I'd stay way clear of them.
I believe that the moment the propellers touch the balloon the drone will drop down.

Is there context? Has it been given since? Not that I've seen.

Original Poster: Can you please give us context for this question? Thanks!

I'm not disputing the lack of context, or that it would be useful to have (which is definitely would). Just pointing out that there *may* be legit grounds for the question, regardless of how it was phrased, and that it would be possible to obtain some footage under the right conditions, ensuring safety being right at the top of the list.

Kinda sad that we even have to consider the possibility of nefarious intent too, but I guess that's the world we live in, isn't it?

Kinda sad that we even have to consider the possibility of nefarious intent too, but I guess that's the world we live in, isn't it?
There are plenty of people who simply have enquiring minds and wonder about all kinds of things.
That's how science developed to where it is now.
It's sad that others don't understand that and jump to assume nefarious intent.

Reactions: TR Ganey

I’m honestly not trying to start a fight here, but... even if he were working with a balloon company to get footage, there is no reason to get near enough to a balloon that there is even the tiniest risk of a collision. And, even if there were, good luck getting the FAA to grant an exemption to fly that close to a manned aircraft.

Reactions: Amarand
How about this, the balloon pilot launches his drone while he's flying up in the air (at whatever altitude) so he can take selfie photos and do a 360 and use the follow-me feature of his Mavic. His home point would have to be his moving controller and he'd have to hand launch and catch it from within the basket. Does all that sound legal? That would be some pretty cool video footage!

How about this, the balloon pilot launches his drone while he's flying up in the air (at whatever altitude) so he can take selfie photos and do a 360 and use the follow-me feature of his Mavic. His home point would have to be his moving controller and he'd have to hand launch and catch it from within the basket. Does all that sound legal? That would be some pretty cool video footage!

You’re not allowed to fly 2 different aircraft simultaneously. Try again.

You’re not allowed to fly 2 different aircraft simultaneously. Try again.
Really?
Can you point to where I can find this rule?
One wonders why such a rule would have been written (if it was).

If you can find the regulation, perhaps you could imagine a hypothetical situation where there are two people in the basket and one flies the balloon while the other flies the drone.

Really?
Can you point to where I can find this rule?

§ 107.35 Operation of multiple small unmanned aircraft.
A person may not operate or act as a remote pilot in command or visual observer in the operation of more than one unmanned aircraft at the same time.

As for your second question...

§ 107.25 Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system -

(a) From a moving aircraft; or

(b) From a moving land or water-borne vehicle unless the small unmanned aircraft is flown over a sparsely populated area and is not transporting another person's property for compensation or hire.

Do you think a drone ( In my case a Mavic 2 pro ) would slice its way through a hot air balloon?.
I will be working at a hot air balloon show, at the volunteer meeting for helping the balloons, they explained that the "envelope" can tear easily, especially when filled, as ground crew we are to keep it away from any branches, etc. Mt Mavic Pro drifted into my blinds indoors and left some clean crisp slices. So I think, yes.

§ 107.35 Operation of multiple small unmanned aircraft.
A person may not operate or act as a remote pilot in command or visual observer in the operation of more than one unmanned aircraft at the same time.
Obviously not relevant
As for your second question...
§ 107.25 Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system -

(a) From a moving aircraft; or
(b) From a moving land or water-borne vehicle unless the small unmanned aircraft is flown over a sparsely populated area and is not transporting another person's property for compensation or hire.
Top marks .. you came up with the applicable FAA regulation.
I've never understood why the FAA thinks it's important, but they do.
Perhaps the underlined part is an escape clause but it's unclear whether that applies to a & b or only applies to b.
(the part about using the small unmanned aircraft to transport another person's property for compensation or hire seems equally ridiculous, particularly in the context of flying from a moving vehicle).

Obviously not relevant

Top marks .. you came up with the applicable FAA regulation.
I've never understood why the FAA thinks it's important, but they do.
Perhaps the underlined part is an escape clause but it's unclear whether that applies to a & b or only applies to b.
(the part about using the small unmanned aircraft to transport another person's property for compensation or hire seems equally ridiculous, particularly in the context of flying from a moving vehicle).

The first answer is not relevant? What color is the sky on your planet?

As for the second answer, the underlined part only applies to 107.25(b). 107.25(a) has no exemptions. If you are in a moving aircraft, you are not allowed to operate a small unmanned aircraft system period.

The first answer is not relevant? What color is the sky on your planet?
Perhaps you missed the part I underlined?
Here it is again ..more than one unmanned aircraft at the same time.
So far no-one has suggested flying more than one drone from the hypothetical balloon.
As for the second answer, the underlined part only applies to 107.25(b). 107.25(a) has no exemptions. If you are in a moving aircraft, you are not allowed to operate a small unmanned aircraft system period.
I said something about that in my comment.
I still can't understand why the FAA thinks it's a big deal to fly from a car, boat or balloon.
But looking for logic might be silly when the same people saw fit to add a clause about using the small unmanned aircraft to transport another person's property for compensation or hire in the context of flying from a moving vehicle?

Last edited:
Perhaps you missed the part I underlined?
Here it is again ..more than one unmanned aircraft at the same time.
So far no-one has suggested flying more than one drone from the hypothetical balloon.

I said something about that in my comment.
I still can't understand why the FAA thinks it's a big deal to fly from a car, boat or balloon.
But looking for logic might be silly when the same people saw fit to add a clause about using the small unmanned aircraft to transport another person's property for compensation or hire in the context of flying from a moving vehicle?

So, you can understand that they don’t want you to fly 2 drones at the same time, but it’s unfathomable to you that they wouldn’t want you to fly a drone while you are piloting a manned aircraft? Please tell me that you’re just trying to play devils advocate.

If I had to hazard a guess, the issue with moving vehicles is likely a potential loss of signal, or concern that being jostled in the vehicle could lead to improper input to the controller. But, like I said, those are merely guesses.

So, you can understand that they don’t want you to fly 2 drones at the same time, but it’s unfathomable to you that they wouldn’t want you to fly a drone while you are piloting a manned aircraft? Please tell me that you’re just trying to play devils advocate.
You must have worked out why the regulation regarding more than one unmanned aircraft at the same time is irrelevant to this hypothetical.
That's progress.

I just added a comment that I can't see why they think it's such a big deal to fly from a car, boat or balloon, because it's not a big deal.
There's nothing particularly risky in those situations.
If I had to hazard a guess, the issue with moving vehicles is likely a potential loss of signal, or concern that being jostled in the vehicle could lead to improper input to the controller. But, like I said, those are merely guesses.
There's no more hazard than flying from a static point on the ground.
You can lose signal due to all kinds of issues without ever flying from a moving point.

I understand it's an FAA regulation but can't see any reason for it.
It's that simple.

My guess, again, is that the risk of signal loss is greater when a remote pilot is moving at a higher rate of speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis