DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scenting your Mavic

shaverdan

Reactions
You read the title, and thought "wtf is this newb posting on here?", didn't you? I was flying last week and was the happy recipient of a bird attack. Fortunately I didn't lose my drone, and was able to get it back to me. As I'm watching footage on youtube, I think to myself "I should go down to Smithville Lake around sunset and play with the new Spark." Then started wondering if that Spark could survive a bird attack, even large insects like dragon fly's while hovering above the water. So I thought about putting a few squirts of my Mont Blanc or whatever scent I grab first on the drones to make the less desirable to bugs and birds.

Thoughts? Or am I just Looney Tunes?

Mavic is the grey color. The Spark is that white. You're right...colors will matter. Farmers put up colors to deter certain species. Maybe I should wrap a rubber snake around it!

Reactions: butterflyslicer
Anecdotally it seems the white and black drones have the most problems. Slap some red vinyl on the drone and fly in the same area to confirm.

Anecdotally it seems the white and black drones have the most problems. Slap some red vinyl on the drone and fly in the same area to confirm.
I'll give that a shot and see what happens. I can get a skin delivered at the doorstep pretty easy. Red digi camo sounds good!

That's interesting...yellow and yellow. I like the idea of stealthiness though too. I fly so high most of the time it isn't an issue, but when going over homes I often wonder if someone has a shotgun pointed at the drone. That makes me want to make it lighter in color to blend in with the sky.

That's interesting...yellow and yellow. I like the idea of stealthiness though too. I fly so high most of the time it isn't an issue, but when going over homes I often wonder if someone has a shotgun pointed at the drone. That makes me want to make it lighter in color to blend in with the sky.
no skin underneath

UK, so shotguns not too much of a worry

I like the idea! I am fairly sure if you sprayed some Axe Anarchy on that it would be completely safe from everything except high school boys.;)

Reactions: shaverdan
You read the title, and thought "wtf is this newb posting on here?", didn't you? I was flying last week and was the happy recipient of a bird attack. Fortunately I didn't lose my drone, and was able to get it back to me. As I'm watching footage on youtube, I think to myself "I should go down to Smithville Lake around sunset and play with the new Spark." Then started wondering if that Spark could survive a bird attack, even large insects like dragon fly's while hovering above the water. So I thought about putting a few squirts of my Mont Blanc or whatever scent I grab first on the drones to make the less desirable to bugs and birds.

Thoughts? Or am I just Looney Tunes?
"A few squirts of Months Blanc?"

Those buzzards will be mating with it before you know it lad...

I thought that too and put a 'sky blue' skin on but unfortunately it made no difference, you effectively are still seeing a 'shadow' and the under carriage still looks black.

Bird are VERY fashion conscious. If the drone is wearing white between Labor Day and Memorial Day, they will attack. Seriously, that color theory is really interesting. I've heard of hawks and other raptors attacking drones. It always seemed strange to me. A drone doesn't look or sound like a bird and raptors generally have excellent eyesight. The one theory, completely without any supporting data of any kind, I came up with, is that maybe someone is flying the drone too near a nest. I was attacked by a swan at a park one time, because, without realizing it, I walked too close to her nest in some tall weeds nearby. But as I think about it, I was wearing a white t-shirt.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming