DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scored a Band New Mavic 1 Pro on eBay

Conservative Nihilist

Reactions
I'd been window shopping on eBay for a couple of weeks looking for either a lightly used Mavic 2 Zoom or a Mavic Pro Platinum when I stumbled on a true diamond in the rough that caught my eye and triggered the buy reflex instantly. This pristine Mavic 1 Pro has never been flown and is being sold as a brand new product that just happens to be in an opened box.

For a reasonable $350 plus shipping I decided to roll the dice on this purchase despite the fact that it bears the dreaded descriptor: "Open Box", which can occasionally translate to "Dead in the Water".

1726299131694.jpeg

All told, my confidence is high that this drone will work as advertized and will in fact be a brand new drone that has remained unsold since the Mavic 1 Pro family of drones were first released back in 2017. The eBay seller of this drone has a 97% approval rating so my usual suspicions are on hold for now.

Often on eBay I have seen new unopened Mavic 1 Pro quadcopters selling for the same $800 price tag they commanded when the M1P line as first released 7 years ago, so it is mystifying to see the price drop by 50% simply because that box was openeed at some point. I can only hope I don't get a nasty surprise when I open that "opened box" haha.

Anyway I won't complain about that low price unless of course I discover that the drone is flawed despite appearing brand new, in which case I will return to this forum to express my regrets while wailing and gnashing my teeth in the throes of buyer's remorse.

I haven't bought an OEM battery from DJI for years. Ali Express is my dependable source for after-market DJI batteries on steroids that give these old-model drones flight times as long as 33 minutes, during which distances of over 13 miles can be covered with 27mph cruise speeds assigned for Litchi waypoint missions.

I have a soft spot in my heart for these older Mavics because all DJI drones manufactured more recently than the Mavic 2 Pro are NOT readily compatible with Litchi's standout waypoint creation utility. Since it is perfectly legal in my Third World backwater to fly fully autonomous drone missions way beyond my line of sight, that vital ability to follow programmed waypoint sequences under full autopilot control is one of the greatest freedoms enjoyed by older drone owners residing where FAA or CAA regulations are but a distant curiosity.

I look forward to taking delivery of this my second only ever brand new drone now attractively priced on eBay for penny-pinching miserly cheapskates like me.

Reactions: Gagipeca
I'd been window shopping on eBay for a couple of weeks looking for either a lightly used Mavic 2 Zoom or a Mavic Pro Platinum when I stumbled on a true diamond in the rough that caught my eye and triggered the buy reflex instantly. This pristine Mavic 1 Pro has never been flown and is being sold as a brand new product that just happens to be in an opened box.

For a reasonable $350 plus shipping I decided to roll the dice on this purchase despite the fact that it bears the dreaded descriptor: "Open Box", which can occasionally translate to "Dead in the Water".

View attachment 177615

All told, my confidence is high that this drone will work as advertized and will in fact be a brand new drone that has remained unsold since the Mavic 1 Pro family of drones were first released back in 2017. The eBay seller of this drone has a 97% approval rating so my usual suspicions are on hold for now.

Often on eBay I have seen new unopened Mavic 1 Pro quadcopters selling for the same $800 price tag they commanded when the M1P line as first released 7 years ago, so it is mystifying to see the price drop by 50% simply because that box was openeed at some point. I can only hope I don't get a nasty surprise when I open that "opened box" haha.

Anyway I won't complain about that low price unless of course I discover that the drone is flawed despite appearing brand new, in which case I will return to this forum to express my regrets while wailing and gnashing my teeth in the throes of buyer's remorse.
I personally think that you should have at least received and tried out the drone before writing this. As the saying sort of goes, "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't."

I personally think that you should have at least received and tried out the drone before writing this. As the saying sort of goes, "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't."
You are right in advising caution. I have been scammed before on eBay. Bought a Phantom 3 Standard that would not bind to any controller including its own, and now sits gathering dust on a shelf. A year later I bought a Mavic Air 1 that remained tethered in beginner mode and would not fly higher or further from me than 50 feet That drone too is now an inert conversation piece.

Recalling those "good deals" has certainly put a damper on my jubilation over acquiring a "new" Mavic 1 Pro, and it's all your fault, Dale. Haha just kidding. I guess I'm a gambler at heart. Good thing Vegas is time zones away or I'd be broke and living in the Vegas drainage tunnels regaling my fellow homeless colleagues with tall tales of my drone piloting days.

You are right in advising caution. I have been scammed before on eBay. Bought a Phantom 3 Standard that would not bind to any controller including its own, and now sits gathering dust on a shelf. A year later I bought a Mavic Air 1 that remained tethered in beginner mode and would not fly higher or further from me than 50 feet That drone too is now an inert conversation piece.

Recalling those "good deals" has certainly put a damper on my jubilation over acquiring a "new" Mavic 1 Pro, and it's all your fault, Dale. Haha just kidding. I guess I'm a gambler at heart. Good thing Vegas is time zones away or I'd be broke and living in the Vegas drainage tunnels regaling my fellow homeless colleagues with tall tales of my drone piloting days.
This has nothing to do with your post but your experience on e-bay interested me.. I presently have two items listed on e-bay and have had nothing but good experience with e-bay. Can you tell me and all of us how you got scammed, or what to avoid?

Dale
(I'm selling a camera and a lens)

This has nothing to do with your post but your experience on e-bay interested me.. I presently have two items listed on e-bay and have had nothing but good experience with e-bay. Can you tell me and all of us how you got scammed, or what to avoid?

Dale
Generally speaking my buyer's experience with eBay has been positive, and that is where I purchased all my used DJI drones numbering nearly ten, over the past few years.

The Phantom 3S that wouldn't bind with its controller and the Mavic Air 1 that arrived locked in beginner mode were sold "as is" but with no mention of the defects I encountered after my purchases, so it wouldn't be accurate to characterize those two sales as being made by intentionally dishonest sellers.

The one time when I was scammed on eBay was about a year ago after I paid for a Mavic 2 Pro that later turned out to be non-existent. The scammer was no neophyte because he hacked into eBay's tracking update feature, and thereby faked the tracking of the drone right up to the point where tracking indicated that the drone had been "delivered". That level of criminal sophistication amazed me then and still does.

Once it became clear there was no drone to deliver to my address, I had a devil of a time persuading eBay customer service that I did NOT take delivery of that drone, and I had to threaten legal action to eventually get eBay to honor their own buyer protection guarantee by refunding my payment. Ultimately, the scammer's account was hurriedly closed and eBay covered for the loss. The debacle left a bitter taste in my mouth and I resented being doubted by eBay customer service reps when I repeatedly told them that I did NOT receive that drone in the post as erroneously stated by their own compromised tracking log.

ANYTHING WRONG WITH A MAVIC PRO IS AN EASY FIX AND THEY FLY ROCK SOLID MISSION,S AGAIN AND AGAIN
I am delighted to hear this assurance, Dave. I've been studying YouTube videos about repairs on Mavic 1 Pro drones, and I think I could replace a broken arm should the need arise. I recently took apart the broken carcass of an old Mavic Pro Platinum that was a crash write-off and found the disassembly to be within my capabilities as a one-time electronics tech.

Last edited:
I am delighted to hear this assurance, Dave. I've been studying YouTube videos about repairs on Mavic 1 Pro drones, and I think I could replace a broken arm should the need arise. I recently took apart the broken carcass of an old Mavic Pro Platinum that was a crash write-off and found the disassembly to be within my capabilities as a one-time electronics tech.
about 2 months ago i got a crashed mavic pro, broken landing pads on the antennas, gimbal cables ripped apart, gimbal motors wasted, and before it takes here 2-3 pages basically the drone was in bad condition. to make matters worst, it came with no battery and charger, so basically "buying" (paid 1.18USD equivalent) something that could be garbage. for cheap ~150$ i bought everything that was required and fixed it, all from aliexpress. these old drones are cheap to repair and you will find everything you need. lets be realistic here for 2 minutes: the advancements in camera performance are unnoticeable to the amateur eye, given that most people flush the video and photos in post production.

the only 3 arguments against an old drone are: more advance systems, longer flight time (i give them this one) and not original parts. anything else I consider money down the drain, especially as DJI is pushing new drones and changing always the lineup. I have a mavic air, which was air, now air is like pro and mini became like air, but now you also have neo... mess. yes if someone would give me free a mavic air 3 I would take it but to buy it... no.

hope you have good flights and share some great video. cheers!

I agree with you, ioprok, that the evolution of drone cameras can only be impressive enough to be worth an upgrade for drone pilots with superb eyesight. With my bespectacled eyes, the difference between 1080p, 4K, and 5K resolution is not impressive enough for me to begin saving up for a Mavic 3 Pro. In short, I remain loyal to my old DJI drones and will continue to fly them until spare parts are no longer available.

My craving for longer drone flight times is fulfilled with the purchase of non-DJI extra-capacity batteries from Ali Express, where I've just placed another battery order to extend the flight time of my Mavic 1 Pro, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic Air1, and Phantom 3S.

I still have my M1 from basically when it launched but mostly for nostalgic purposes... it files once a year or so but realistically a mini2 is better already
cant really say the mini 2 has better sensor than the mavic air or pro since it is the same. flight time yes, regulation wise too, noise and object visibility OK. but hard for me to say the mini is better.

The MP has some quirks, e.g. the gimbal tends to start vibrating especially in cold temps, the mini2 doesn't have that problem. Image processing wasn't that good on the MP either with quite some artifacts.

Dale
Dale, take a look at Fred Miranda to buy and sell photo equipment.
Phil

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr