DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scotland trip booked DJI Mini 2 or MA2?

@AVLJMA - one advantage in the UK of taking the Mini 2 is that you are allowed to fly it over uninvolved people (not the case with the MA2).

For the Mini 2 you'll need an Operator ID which must be labelled on your drone. For the MA2 you'll need an Operator ID and also a Flyer ID. See:

It's worth noting the following warning from the CAA website: "It is against the law to fly a drone or model aircraft without having the required IDs. You can also be fined for breaking the law when flying. In the most serious cases, you could be sent to prison."
That's wrong. See section 3 on the following page:

View attachment 129302
THANK YOU!! That is very helpful information. So the Mini 2 just needs my FAA identification affixed to the drone and I am good to go? Thanks for sending this.

THANK YOU!! That is very helpful information. So the Mini 2 just needs my FAA identification affixed to the drone and I am good to go? Thanks for sending this.
No. You need a CAA (not FAA) Operator ID fixed to your drone to legally fly it in the UK.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Great to see people putting in the little bit of effort to respect the rules/laws for drones! It's not hard or expensive to do it right.

As the MM2 is under 250g you'll be able to fly closer to buildings/people than with the MA2.

Hope your trip to Scotland goes well. You will be spoilt for choice for amazing scenery here. Just hope your drone adventures aren't spoilt by our colourful weather too :p

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyeHigh
I just took the test at CAA and passed. I missed one question. I have both the Flyer ID and the Operator ID. I paid my 9 GBP and can now fly in the UK thanks to @Lastrexking. I owe you a pint! This is great.
You’re welcome. I hope you have an amazing time when you get over here.

Great to see people putting in the little bit of effort to respect the rules/laws for drones! It's not hard or expensive to do it right.

As the MM2 is under 250g you'll be able to fly closer to buildings/people than with the MA2.

Hope your trip to Scotland goes well. You will be spoilt for choice for amazing scenery here. Just hope your drone adventures aren't spoilt by our colourful weather too :p
Thanks! Scotland has recently been voted the most beautiful country in the world. I am sure I will not be disappointed by the scenery. The haggis might be another matter. lol
Thanks for the encouragement. Did I mention my wife is a Brit from Thetford? Every time I went there I drove to New Market and had a Ploughman's lunch. I lived on ploughmans lunch....and the fish and chips....and the pubs!!

Every time I went there I drove to New Market and had a Ploughman's lunch. I lived on ploughmans lunch....and the fish and chips....and the pubs!!

You’re making me home sick now. A good cheddar, pickled onions, cod & chips with mushy peas and a warm beer. Heaven!!

The wife and I just booked 15 days in Scotland. Of course Scotland is one of the most photogenic locations in the world. My semi-pro photographer wife is bringing her Leica Q2.
So, do I bring the DJI Mini 2 or the Mavic Air 2? I think I will have less legal hassle with the Mini 2's sub 249 grams. The battery charging is much more manageable and of course the entire traveling kit is lighter. I would give up the better camera of the MA2 and the better flying experience in what I assume will be windy coastlines.

Any thoughts? Any of our UK friends able to advice?
Thank you!
Mavic 2 Pro (not zoom) for sure with the 1" sensor Hasselblad. Best video by far you will never regret it. Also easier to fly with more crash protection. A little bigger but well worth it, folds up nicely. Bring extra batteries/charger. When you see the videos you will thank me. I use an ipad mini 5 for the screen and mostly use the Litchi APP. have fun

The wife and I just booked 15 days in Scotland. Of course Scotland is one of the most photogenic locations in the world. My semi-pro photographer wife is bringing her Leica Q2.
So, do I bring the DJI Mini 2 or the Mavic Air 2? I think I will have less legal hassle with the Mini 2's sub 249 grams. The battery charging is much more manageable and of course the entire traveling kit is lighter. I would give up the better camera of the MA2 and the better flying experience in what I assume will be windy coastlines.

Any thoughts? Any of our UK friends able to advice?
Thank you!
I live On the far north coast of Scotland, and I would say the air 2... Even on decent days it's breezy, not flown a mini but my air 2 and now air 2 s cope excellent up here.. Hope that helps

Reactions: RobertR
Scotland is very photogenic, but also very wet and windy- and midge infested from late spring to autumn (fall).
Instead of doing the usual unimaginative tourist rounds (especially the Fairy Pools of Skye, which are now effectively trashed with surfaced paths across the Glen) why not look at some of the wilder mountain areas and islands - you are spoiled for choice. The Paps of Jura, Beinne Eighe, Rhum Cuillins........

This Gentleman has lots of good videos around Scotland.
Enjoy your holiday.

Scotland is very photogenic, but also very wet and windy- and midge infested from late spring to autumn (fall).
Instead of doing the usual unimaginative tourist rounds (especially the Fairy Pools of Skye, which are now effectively trashed with surfaced paths across the Glen) why not look at some of the wilder mountain areas and islands - you are spoiled for choice. The Paps of Jura, Beinne Eighe, Rhum Cuillins........
Thanks! I just added that to the list of places to explore.

I live On the far north coast of Scotland, and I would say the air 2... Even on decent days it's breezy, not flown a mini but my air 2 and now air 2 s cope excellent up here.. Hope that helps
Thanks! The does help. I will be packing the MA2. You are so lucky. Scotland was voted the most beautiful country this year. I can't wait to see it all.

Reactions: Gary_Mac
Hello,

I visited Scotland and I flew my Mavic Pro. I wish I would be able to visit again this year.
Indeed the weather conditions there are unlike any you've seen before.
Especially around the munros it can be quite windy with unexpected gusts.
As said before the ground camera already is awesome, you should compliment that with solid air photography.
Before departure you should check out on YouTube the channel of Photography Online. A good series on gorgeous sites to visit, especially in the Isle of Skye. Look for their top 10 of views on Skye. Also Pro tips and tricks for photographers.

Safe travels.

Ruud
What did you have to go regulation wise to fly there? I found the cost of flying out of reach.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929