DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scratched camera lens.

Packen

Reactions
I recently post how do I repair scratched camera lens:
Best solution was to use rubbing compound. After 3 applications I cleaned off rubbing compound with a watered down alcohol solution. Lens is now like new.
Thanks every one for your help.

Can u detail how u did this? What rubbing compounds ? In what order and how long for each one

Thanks

Is that the actual camera lens that was scratched or the UV filter that can be changed to ND filters? If it's the filter, just replace it.

The possible problem with buffing a lens is that you're likely removing the anti-glare coating.
Some cameras have really cheap coatings that scratch real easy. My HTC M8 was like that. I was better off without the coating and removed it with toothpaste.
I don't recommend doing that on any of the DJI cameras however. I don't think they have the cheap coating, and it's protected by the UV filter.

Can u detail how u did this? What rubbing compounds ? In what order and how long for each one

Thanks
I used turtle wax rubbing compound. Go YouTube and search repair scratched camera lens. You will fine about three good sites
with video tutorial. If you still need help let me know. If your scratches are deep you may need to replace lens. If you need a lens I have a new one I can send you if you live in U.S.

There’s no way to grind scratches off the actual glass part of a camera lens, this had to be either the lens coating or just the UV filter. Besides, how do you scratch the lens behind the filter? People should not try this if they don’t know a filter for the lens.

Always, if the actual lens does get dirty. try using a dry air bulb to clean the actual lens first, then only try a real reputable camera manufacturer’s lens cleaning paper or cloth only (Hasselblad, Nikon, Minolta, etc.). If the lens is scratched, leave it alone and try it out. You may find that it works ok still, or there may be some clouding if its bad enough and the sun hits it. Don’t try rubbing (grinding) out the scratch yourself. As mentioned above, you can rub off the lens coating and get glare, or worse, make the glass get frosted, which will render your optics useless by rubbing them with coarse compounds! If it’s a bad enough scratch, you might have to just replace it.

I’m sure OP is either talking about the Hasselblad UV filter, or is actually rubbing off the lens coating. But be aware that the filter is also coated and you can get backscatter reflections if you rub that off from the back side of the filter.

Last edited:
The main thing is for you do not rub anything on the lens to polish the scratch out, because that's the way to completely ruin it.

OK good advice. However polishing it out worked for me. the camera works great and no glare or adverse affects.
Pease note: I am not putting down your advice, could be I just got lucky. or maybe I just cleaned off some goop.

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman