DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD card cannot be read by Windows 10, but it works OK in the drone

This has also happened to me multiple times with different brand, high quality, high speed SD cards, on both on my Mini 2 and my Air 2, causing me to lose video files. This simply does not happen with any other device I have, only with DJI.

I'm VERY experienced with SD cards and computers over many, many years and yes, there can be occasional errors with reading, writing the cards, but nothing as often and not consistently with the same device(s). My drones have always been in an off state when removing the cards from the drone.

Using a different file explorer is not the answer. Even the built-in Windows Disk Management tool cannot read the drive. The 'bad' cards cannot be read even in Linux (including GPARTED, a common Linux partition/disk manager), which I have tried as a last resort. Definitely a card error, not an OS thing.

There must be some commonality with how DJI is writing to the cards, the timing of shutting the drone off post flight (possibly during a write state that is occurring) or something.

Does anyone know if there DJI recommendations for safely removing an SD card? I have done some searching but have not come up with anything.

Thanks for any ideas!

-vsguru

This has also happened to me multiple times with different brand, high quality, high speed SD cards, on both on my Mini 2 and my Air 2, causing me to lose video files. This simply does not happen with any other device I have, only with DJI.

I'm VERY experienced with SD cards and computers over many, many years and yes, there can be occasional errors with reading, writing the cards, but nothing as often and not consistently with the same device(s). My drones have always been in an off state when removing the cards from the drone.

Using a different file explorer is not the answer. Even the built-in Windows Disk Management tool cannot read the drive. The 'bad' cards cannot be read even in Linux (including GPARTED, a common Linux partition/disk manager), which I have tried as a last resort. Definitely a card error, not an OS thing.

There must be some commonality with how DJI is writing to the cards, the timing of shutting the drone off post flight (possibly during a write state that is occurring) or something.

Does anyone know if there DJI recommendations for safely removing an SD card? I have done some searching but have not come up with anything.

Thanks for any ideas!

-vsguru
Like i said in a post last year ,no issues just leave the card in the aircraft and plug it into a pc transfer data no issues ever. ?

Reactions: Thomas B
Like i said in a post last year ,no issues just leave the card in the aircraft and plug it into a pc transfer data no issues ever. ?
Yep. Absolutely, that definitely works. I have also use that method recently as a workaround. Still, the issue remains as to why sd cards can't seem to be consistently SAFELY removed from the drone. That should work as well. My point is that with most (nearly ALL other devices) you have the option to remove the card without risk of corruption or lost files. This is still a problem, although one with a workaround. That doesn't mean the problem still doesn't exist.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Yep. Absolutely, that definitely works. I have also use that method recently as a workaround. Still, the issue remains as to why sd cards can't seem to be consistently SAFELY removed from the drone. That should work as well. My point is that with most (nearly ALL other devices) you have the option to remove the card without risk of corruption or lost files. This is still a problem, although one with a workaround. That doesn't mean the problem still doesn't exist.
i could not agree more ,luckily i found a good program to retrieve the data i though i had lost ,wonder share recover it.

That's another good suggestion ninja_geezer. I'll check that out! Thanks :)
It was the only software i tried that recovered all my files ,i used it twice.

Ok so i have had the same issue first time whit the Air 2 s yesterday and that was reading from the aircraft ,luckily wonder share recoverit got all the files back ,i cannot recommend this highly enough, this is twice now in the last year its saved my bacon.
[Official] Recoverit - Ultimate Data Recovery Solutions for Windows/Mac be aware the free trail will not recover your files you need to buy it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe