DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD Cards and Windows 10

PeteTheJack

Reactions
Like most of us, I have a few SD cards. I have a USB card reader which will read cards up to 64Gb on a Windows 10 PC, but not a 128Gb card. If I plug it into a Windows 7 machine it'll read them all. I've done a load of Googling but almost every so called solution tells me to update the drivers, which are up to date. It seems to be a problem with a lot of Windows 10 users. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has had a similar problem. I did us a third party program to reduce the size of the partition to 60Gb and it worked perfectly in the Mini 2 and the PC. Bit of a waste of the other 60 odd Gb.

Any fixes?

TIA Pete

Windows 10 is a pain in the ...........
Perhaps use 7 to move them to an external USB hdd and then connect that hdd to 10?

@Mrktn wouldn't transferring from the drone via USB take an awfully long time and waste a lot of battery life?

Reactions: PeteTheJack
Have you tried reading the files when the sd card is in the drone and connected to the pc / laptop?
Thanks for your response. Yes I did try that and although it shows up on my PC, when I click on it I get a no media found error message, I've not done a comparison with a 64Gb card though. I can download them to my phone.

Reactions: Mrktn
Win10 Service Pack issue possibly? I have 5 Sandisk micro cards 4 x 128GB & 1 x 64GB [ used in the buggy dash cam]. All Extreme Pro, no issues whatsoever, which then makes me ask, are you certain you have a genuine card from which ever manufacturer you have chosen? I've also seen this with fakes that will work with Win7, since it's now unsupported, but not Win10 which is actively updated & supported & since a lot of manufacturers like Sandisk collude firmware with Microsoft updates, the origin of the card could be the source of the problem... Just a thought.

Last edited:
Windows 10 is a pain in the ...........
Perhaps use 7 to move them to an external USB hdd and then connect that hdd to 10?

@Mrktn wouldn't transferring from the drone via USB take an awfully long time and waste a lot of battery life?
May take a while, I meant wired connection with a usb lead from drone to laptop. The drone would be charging and the laptop could be powered by mains at the same time.

Have you tried reading the files when the sd card is in the drone and connected to the pc / laptop?
I have a USB card reader which will read cards up to 64Gb on a Windows 10 PC, but not a 128Gb card. If I plug it into a Windows 7 machine it'll read them all.
@Mrktn offered solid advice; however, there is a technique... Turn the drone ON first before plugging it into the PC... If the Drone is OFF when you plug it in, the Drone goes into Charge Mode...

Like most of us, I have a few SD cards. I have a USB card reader which will read cards up to 64Gb on a Windows 10 PC, but not a 128Gb card. If I plug it into a Windows 7 machine it'll read them all. I've done a load of Googling but almost every so called solution tells me to update the drivers, which are up to date. It seems to be a problem with a lot of Windows 10 users. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has had a similar problem. I did us a third party program to reduce the size of the partition to 60Gb and it worked perfectly in the Mini 2 and the PC. Bit of a waste of the other 60 odd Gb.

Any fixes?

TIA Pete
I use a Lexar Pro card reader and it reads my cards fine on both Windows 10 and 11, cheers Len

Reactions: LoudThunder
Make sure that your SD card and SD card reader are clean and firmly connected to your computer. You can also try switching USB ports if you are using an external adapter.
Use the Windows Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to detect and fix any hardware problems. You can open it by pressing Windows key + I, clicking Update & Security, clicking Troubleshoot, and then clicking Run the troubleshooter under Hardware and Devices
Assign a new drive letter to your SD card if it is missing one. You can do this by opening Disk Management (press Windows key + R and type diskmgmt.msc), right-clicking on your SD card, and choosing Change Drive Letter and Path2.
Update your SD card reader driver if it is outdated or incompatible with Windows 10. You can do this by opening Device Manager (press Windows key + X and choose Device Manager), expanding the Disk drives category, right-clicking on your SD card reader, and choosing Update driver
Scan your SD card for any virus or malware infection using a reliable antivirus software. You can also try formatting your SD card if it is corrupted, but make sure you back up your data first.

Any fixes?

TIA Pete
I have SD cards from 16 GB to 512 GB and have no problem reading any of them on my Windows 7, 10 or 11 machines. I have found occasional external card readers to be problematic however. Some require external drivers to work properly which might explain your issue. Not drivers from Microsoft, drivers from the card reader manufacturer. What is the make and model of your reader? That might answer some of our questions.

I have SD cards from 16 GB to 512 GB and have no problem reading any of them on my Windows 7, 10 or 11 machines. I have found occasional external card readers to be problematic however. Some require external drivers to work properly which might explain your issue. Not drivers from Microsoft, drivers from the card reader manufacturer. What is the make and model of your reader? That might answer some of our questions.
Sorry for the tardy response. Beikell. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BNJ9RGVP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No problems with Windows 10 on a laptop with an SD card reader and cards up to 256 gb. I put the microSD cards into a SD adapter. I'm also using a USB card reader on a desktop running Windows 10 with no problems.

I checked and the manufacturer claims you don't need a special driver for this - so there must be some other issue.
Thanks. I've also tried it on a Windows 11 machine with the same result. There seem to be a lot of users asking the same question on various sites, but few answers that work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne