DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Sea Shepherd - Unedited, Unused B-Roll

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Here's a short unedited clip show-casing Sea Shepherd's M/V Sharpie on patrol. The main reason it was not used was due to too many crew on deck. You can see the engineers hanging out on the aft deck, the bosun tidying up lines, the first officer at the bow, the captain up in the fly deck driving the ship, and yours truly flying the drone from the foredeck, braced against storage lockers. Generally, for 'clean' shots, no one should be visible on deck. Also, in this case, I had no idea which direction or speed this particular captain would go so I had to guess, adding to the challenge. Using a Mavic Pro 2, all sensors off for obvious reasons.

"Using a Mavic Pro 2, all sensors off for obvious reasons"

How often do you use one drone vs another and why?..... The Mavic 2 Pro is plenty capable but so is the Phantom 4 Pro and probably easier to catch over a moving deck. The Matrice is a beast and would probably need the most care in picking where and when to fly.

Reactions: Gringorio
Ok excuse my questions.... but on a professional assignment like this, using the Mavic 2 Pro what video settings are you shooting in? .....4K 30 FPS and editing to broadcast resolution later? Are you using 8 bit Normal color or 10 bit LOG?

"Using a Mavic Pro 2, all sensors off for obvious reasons"

How often do you use one drone vs another and why?..... The Mavic 2 Pro is plenty capable but so is the Phantom 4 Pro and probably easier to catch over a moving deck. The Matrice is a beast and would probably need the most care in picking where and when to fly.
Usually it depends on the ships inventory. There are P4P available on a couple of the other ships, but on this occasion only Mavic Pro 2's were onboard. The Matrice is used pretty much at night with the FLIR, launching and landing on the foredeck.

Reactions: Saladshooter
Ok excuse my questions.... but on a professional assignment like this, using the Mavic 2 Pro what video settings are you shooting in? .....4K 30 FPS and editing to broadcast resolution later? Are you using 8 bit Normal color or 10 bit LOG?
Unless the media coordinator asks otherwise, yeah 4k/30fps with appropriate ND filters for the conditions. Also, generally all of us crew, including drone operators, are volunteers.

Reactions: Saladshooter
She’s narrow and quick but then the height probably makes it roll a bit. Beautiful ship. Enjoyed it ?

She’s narrow and quick but then the height probably makes it roll a bit. Beautiful ship. Enjoyed it ?
You're right... When the seas are up it's definitely a fun ride. She's a retired coast guard cutter.

Reactions: Capt KO
Here's a short unedited clip show-casing Sea Shepherd's M/V Sharpie on patrol. The main reason it was not used was due to too many crew on deck. You can see the engineers hanging out on the aft deck, the bosun tidying up lines, the first officer at the bow, the captain up in the fly deck driving the ship, and yours truly flying the drone from the foredeck, braced against storage lockers. Generally, for 'clean' shots, no one should be visible on deck. Also, in this case, I had no idea which direction or speed this particular captain would go so I had to guess, adding to the challenge. Using a Mavic Pro 2, all sensors off for obvious reasons.
That is soooo cool!! We just came from 7 months living on our 51' Maritimo motoryacht in the Sea of Cortez...and we're too chicken to try the follow modes or to do much filming when underway! Nice shooting!!!

Attachments

• Tangaroa_cruising glassy sea.jpg
    Tangaroa_cruising glassy sea.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 2
That is soooo cool!! We just came from 7 months living on our 51' Maritimo motoryacht in the Sea of Cortez...and we're too chicken to try the follow modes or to do much filming when underway! Nice shooting!!!
The follow modes don't really work well or I should say I don't use them. Just manual capture of the scene. I just returned from the Gulf of California too. Looks like you have some very comfortable digs for the cruising life. Do you have a blog documenting your time in the Sea of Cortez?

Yeah, the Maritimo is very sweet! I love working on ships like the one you're on, though! I wasn't blogging as actively as I'd planned but you can see some of our journey on www.wildlifevoyages.com Were you up in the north end of the Sea? Did you work on the Sea of Shadows doco? It was really well done!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3