DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeking help and advice on panning jitter/shake / wobble on Mini 3 Pro

CrowsFeet

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
I'm new to the Mini 3, and did a quick flight over a road. I notice that when I pan left to right or right to left, it kinda, jitters. Seems to go, stop, go, stop every 200ms or so. I'm running in Auto, ISO is 100, 25fps. No filter.

Is there a way to get panning to be less jittery? Forward and backward seems better. Maybe not perfect, but not bad. This video is raw off the card. I have a fast Sandisk Extreme Pro card.

The playback display/monitor refresh/resolution affects viewing pleasure you seem to think of a s a fault.
Maybe ask you're neighbours what they think or see if you can borrow a better monitor from them;)

@CrowsFeet ,just try to record using 10.80p at 30fps ,then play that back for comparison
if that gets rid of the jerkiness ,then it means you will need an uprated computer system to play back 4K video smoothly

I had a similar issue, turned out to be DaVinci Resolve frame rate at 24fps and the MINI3 Pro rate set at 30fps, check the rates are set the same in post production as in recording... These 2 inks show the diferences...

24fps
30fps

Reactions: WobblingWillie
...Is there a way to get panning to be less jittery?
All the basics regarding editing with clip & time line frame rates matching is of course mandatory for a smooth movement... but this have most probably nothing to do with that.

All the panning you show are way to fast for the used frame rate & close distance to objects... read up here about panning speeds --> https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed#:~:text=The rule of thumb is,lens, model or sensor size.

And yeah... a slower shutter speed (maybe with the help from a ND filter) introducing more motion blur, can lessen the problem.

Higher shutter speed + movement = appearance of stutter and jitter because there's no motion blur to bridge the gap between one frame to the next when each frame is captured clear.

Hence why the ND filters exist to help keep to the 180 degree shutter rule. (if you shoot 30fps, you ideally want 1/60 shutter speed locked down, likewise if you shoot 60fps, then 1/120).

Reactions: CrowsFeet
So, this is the video right from the SD card; this means it has nothing to do with any editing and changing frame rates.
Could it be fixed with some editing? Perhaps, but that won't get to the root of the casuse.
My suggestion is to go fly again and learn how the mini 4 pro reacts to rotation changes. Try some really slow panning while watching the screen and then do faster pans. When you look at the recorded video you should be able to tell if the panning rate is the cause or not. There is a lag between controller commands and drone reaction. All of this needs to work with the onboard controls as the drone movement keeps up with the controls. During all of these controls the drone also needs to manage wind changes.
If the panning rate tests don't show a direct correlation then look for technical problems.

Last edited:
Hello
Try to watch the same video on 4k TV and you will see allmost no jitters
The jitters phenomenon has several reasons and sometimes a combination of factors:
Shutter speed
The speed of rotation of the drone
The frequency of the monitor
The speed of writing on the memory card
Load on the drone processor
and more.....
from my experience, if you play a file on a computer and while rotating the drone you see jitters, play the same file on a modern television and you will see that the phenomenon disappears.
I would be happy if you share the test result

...from my experience, if you play a file on a computer and while rotating the drone you see jitters, play the same file on a modern television and you will see that the phenomenon disappears.
The reason for that is that modern tv's have motion smoothing... turn that function off & you will most probably see the same jitter as on your computer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne