DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Self defense weapons or tools?

As we all age, pay for all the dumb stuff we did when younger, we one day look in the mirror n ask how did this happen? Laugh

I encourage a few to ccw/cpl license an get proper training at each level. Just meeting the qualifications for licensing isn't enough. An there's also folks I recommend Not to as well. False sense of security without the proper mindset, skills, an bi-weekly training an drawing n shooting at night.

@Wyojet directed at me? You know nothing of me, background or qualifications.

LLP

Netdep, absolutely not my friend. If I had worded a phrase that seemed in conjecture of something I perhaps stated I apologize sir. I don't know you n never commented in the past regarding your thoughts. Please accept my apologies, an we can start new regardless. I would never perpetrate any thoughts nor negative comments towards anyone. ( Mod Removed Political Comment And Any More and I Will Close This.dc )

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry to read this story. It's shocking to experience that, and is most unfortunate. I carry everywhere I go except where not allowed. A gun or other weapon is a choice of last resort; your primary weapons are your head, eyes, and ears. Essential to stay ahead of the situation versus walking into one.

I've used a handgun twice in what I believe were situations where considerable harm was intended to me. I only had to draw it partially out and that stopped by perpetrators but you really don't want the situation to get to that point. A very wise master shooter once taught me, "Avoid trouble, run away from trouble, stop trouble", in that order.

Hand guns require a lot of practice, super fast access, and at arms length you can still get into a grappling situation which is very bad unless you're a highly capable, strong, and agile person.

Tasers are a good option for less than lethal response but not good for multiple assailants. I'm not a fan of OC spray though I have a fair amount of it in different sized cans; it's too easy to have it blow back on you and that stuff is seriously nasty.

Good luck; advise your friend to take a hand gun defense course for civilians. Many of those are bogus but a few are quite good. A good course is mostly about awareness, and options prior to drawing a weapon.

Good luck; stay safe, most people are good but the bad ones can be very bad.
Thanks for the reply Neil, yep our society has changed in many ways. I don't like oc either, yet I have 9oz pistol gel with UV identifier at our doors that lead out n in to my shop. I had a incident years ago where a odd person tried to gain entry, n fortunately I also was home. We were living on our Wyoming family ranch n he must have walked 10 miles from the main road. SO picked him up n had 3 out of state arrest warrants.

Hey, I went back n found your reference your must be referring to. I don't understand how a person could think I had reacted towards your comment? Maybe you mess up where you had that specific issue n thought? Anyhow, I am baffled some.

If you don't want to carry a pistol or OC then avoidance has to be a major priority. Stick to places you know and where there are a lot of people around and/or LE in sight. If you have a bad sense about something follow that sense and avoid that place.

As for contact weapons like an asp or baton, utilizing those weapons effectively requires some knowledge, strength and agility. If this individual is in his 60's, maybe not in the best of health and not willing to train with the weapon he is going to carry don't bother with it. It only provides a false sense of security.
What he said. ?

I have a CCW and consider my weapon like an American Express Card - I don't leave home without it.
What he said. ?

I have a CCW and consider my weapon like an American Express Card - I don't leave home without it.
Netdep, I agree with you 100%. I am a old dog myself n pack 24/7/365 even into my home n woods ect. Been doing that same thing for 38 yrs. I encourage seniors n disabled folks to carry small saps or padlocks. With proper training n certification of their uses.

Very sorry to read this story. It's shocking to experience that, and is most unfortunate. I carry everywhere I go except where not allowed. A gun or other weapon is a choice of last resort; your primary weapons are your head, eyes, and ears. Essential to stay ahead of the situation versus walking into one.

I've used a handgun twice in what I believe were situations where considerable harm was intended to me. I only had to draw it partially out and that stopped by perpetrators but you really don't want the situation to get to that point. A very wise master shooter once taught me, "Avoid trouble, run away from trouble, stop trouble", in that order.

Hand guns require a lot of practice, super fast access, and at arms length you can still get into a grappling situation which is very bad unless you're a highly capable, strong, and agile person.

Tasers are a good option for less than lethal response but not good for multiple assailants. I'm not a fan of OC spray though I have a fair amount of it in different sized cans; it's too easy to have it blow back on you and that stuff is seriously nasty.

Good luck; advise your friend to take a hand gun defense course for civilians. Many of those are bogus but a few are quite good. A good course is mostly about awareness, and options prior to drawing a weapon.

Good luck; stay safe, most people are good but the bad ones can be very bad.

Hey Neil, my apologies for lateness of reply. The couples wife has a ccw/cpl license now n I started her on new shooters dos n don'ts. After 10 lessons n more shooting with herself since, she's a natural shooter at age 68. Never owned a gun before, n now you couldn't take it from her.

I have tried to run her thru the paces of what ifs n how to draw safely from different n stressful circumstances. As I use several distractions while training as precursors to next level of training. An being armed can also give some a false sense of security, n I knock that specific issue early on. Just cuz you carry doesn't mean you can take risks due to such. I've witnessed that specific issue many times even with experienced shooters n LEs. Thanks for you thoughts n suggestions as I read n take pointers always. Thanks Ty

Very true.
Weapons of any kind need training in use or they can be taken from you and used against you.
I agree 100%, as that actually happens allot more often than most like to admit. Getting your self defense weapon used against you would suck imho. I once knew a MP that got his pr24 n a few troopers taken from them n just about got beat to death in short order. Problems with saps n black jacks is their generally close in weapons n most users don't use them correctly if not trained n practice with such tool. Thanks for your comment n thoughts. Ty

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0