DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sending back a new drone to DJI

Diver

Reactions
So ordered a Mavic Air 2 from DJI direct. I have a Mavic Air that I just crashed and an older Phantom 4. I realised while unpacking the drone that this purchase was a mistake - should have got a Mavic 2 Pro. So I'm sending it back.

Anyone else done this? If so how much did DJI sting you for return shipping?

The wording is kind of vague. Are you saying that you originally intended to by the M2P but somehow may have checked the wrong box. Or, did you order the MA2 and had second thoughts once you received it?

If the first, I can empathize with you. I don't think DJI should be using names that are so similar they can be easily confused. I myself accidentally ordered some MA2 prop guards when I meant to order M2 guards. The MA2 should have been named something like Mavic Air Successor or something that isn't so similar to a Mavic 2. I have to wonder what the names of these drones are in Chinese?

Haha. Yes sorry that is honest. Poorly worded for sure.

I meant to order the MA2 but it is not quite what I need. So I want to return it.
DJI don't swap. So you have to go through a long and costly process. So much for "Easy Returns". :)

What is it that made you change your mind after the fact? I'm quite fond of my Mavic 2 Pro, but I think I would have been happy with the MA2. Each has its own strengths.

I learned my lesson recently when I got a defective Mini 2.
I had purchased it from B&H. That transaction went very smoothly. After a few flights it was determined that I should upgrade or refresh the firmware. The Mini 2 wouldn't take an update or refresh and it was determined by DJI that it was defective. So it was arranged to return it to them (directly) for a replacement. 5 days shipping. 5 days waiting for inspection and "approval" for the return and another 5 days for having it shipped back. 15 days total. When I spoke with B&H about something else they said I should have contacted them and they would have taken it back, shipped me a replacement immediately and would have handled the details with DJI. Lesson learned. Down the road I had a minor crash and needed repair. So instead of shipping it to DJI I sent it to DJI Drone Repair in NJ. I had it out and back, repaired and back in my hands within a week.

I had purchased my Mavic 2 last year from Drone Nerds. I got to speak with and order from a human. Again, a very smooth transaction and quick shipping.

What is it that made you change your mind after the fact? I'm quite fond of my Mavic 2 Pro, but I think I would have been happy with the MA2. Each has its own strengths.

I learned my lesson recently when I got a defective Mini 2.
I had purchased it from B&H. That transaction went very smoothly. After a few flights it was determined that I should upgrade or refresh the firmware. The Mini 2 wouldn't take an update or refresh and it was determined by DJI that it was defective. So it was arranged to return it to them (directly) for a replacement. 5 days shipping. 5 days waiting for inspection and "approval" for the return and another 5 days for having it shipped back. 15 days total. When I spoke with B&H about something else they said I should have contacted them and they would have taken it back, shipped me a replacement immediately and would have handled the details with DJI. Lesson learned. Down the road I had a minor crash and needed repair. So instead of shipping it to DJI I sent it to DJI Drone Repair in NJ. I had it out and back, repaired and back in my hands within a week.

I had purchased my Mavic 2 last year from Drone Nerds. I got to speak with and order from a human. Again, a very smooth transaction and quick shipping.
DJI is certainly no fun to deal with. I have bought all my drones and camera equip from B&H and never had an issue with them at all. Never had to return anything either.

The MA2 is best of all worlds to me. Maybe the FPV is better - we can hope so - yet for my purposes - the MA2 fills all the blanks. I did look at at the Mavic Pro's and heard differing stories on the 2 models. Also like the smaller footprint and weight as well for the MA2. For the price - could not be beat at the time.

DJI is certainly no fun to deal with. I have bought all my drones and camera equip from B&H and never had an issue with them at all. Never had to return anything either.

The MA2 is best of all worlds to me. Maybe the FPV is better - we can hope so - yet for my purposes - the MA2 fills all the blanks. I did look at at the Mavic Pro's and heard differing stories on the 2 models. Also like the smaller footprint and weight as well for the MA2. For the price - could not be beat at the time.
I can understand your love of the MA2. When I first thought about this seriously, not knowing much about drones I debated between the Mini and the MA2. Did I want to invest $1000 not knowing? I'd tried a $250 Chinese drone which pretty much sucked out of the box. At the time Costco had a deal for $369 with and extra battery for the Mini. In some respects had I gone with the MA2 it would have saved me a lot of money in the long run, but I'm happy with the journey. I liked the Mini but it didn't do well in the wind and I just wanted something with 4k that I really didn't have to worry about. With the larger sensor and variable aperture the M2P seemed like the right addition. Little did I know that within a very few months I'd sell the Mini to upgrade to a Mini 2. Perhaps the MA2 would have been my one and only drone for the last year? I don't know.

DJI FPV? The way I see it, if you crash it it's going to be expensive. Can you even fly it with your phone as the monitor, or are you limited to goggles?

Reactions: tlswift58
I can understand your love of the MA2. When I first thought about this seriously, not knowing much about drones I debated between the Mini and the MA2. Did I want to invest $1000 not knowing? I'd tried a $250 Chinese drone which pretty much sucked out of the box. At the time Costco had a deal for $369 with and extra battery for the Mini. In some respects had I gone with the MA2 it would have saved me a lot of money in the long run, but I'm happy with the journey. I liked the Mini but it didn't do well in the wind and I just wanted something with 4k that I really didn't have to worry about. With the larger sensor and variable aperture the M2P seemed like the right addition. Little did I know that within a very few months I'd sell the Mini to upgrade to a Mini 2. Perhaps the MA2 would have been my one and only drone for the last year? I don't know.

DJI FPV? The way I see it, if you crash it it's going to be expensive. Can you even fly it with your phone as the monitor, or are you limited to goggles?

I had gotten the Mini (1) first to learn to fly and since we "did" travel quite a bit before Covid, though going to Europe and other places - the Mini would be great. It was till I crashed it into a bridge over a deep creek and it sank like a rock. Did the very long ordeal with DJI, trying to just get another Mini and battery - since I had the FlyMore kit. Took well over a month before I had the Mini in my hands - yet it has not flown a day since.

Prior to my vaca last year, after the Air2 came out - such a good price and the specs were great - so I bought it. Glad I had it on my vaca after my Mini crash, as still could fly in a lot of places. I strictly fly my Air2 now, just to get more comfortable with it - since I fly around a lot of waterfalls and the resulting foliage that likes to hunt down drones and send them to a murky death. Should I crash and lose it - $1k is far easier to deal with than almost double that for the 2Pro. Not that I would not like to own a 2Pro! I would for sure.

As for the FPV - DJI is touting it as "modular," so you are "supposed" to be able to only replace parts damaged and it's back in the air - resulting in less costs (much like the FPV's many people home build) Will it, no idea. It doesn't rock my boat enough to splurge another $1,300 to try it out. I do like the "goggle" aspect and wish DJI's for the Air2 were not so ridiculous in price or I'd do that. Just upgraded to a Lenovo tablet and it is 100 times better than my smart phone in size. Yeah, it's a bigger pain to carry around along with the need for a tablet holder - but worth it to me. I simply put it in my camera bag and off I go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998