DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sensor on the Mini 2 Very Unstable when Covered / or not.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
We have tested the Mini 2 Forwards - Backwards - Upside Down - Inverted , in the wind , on the lake and in distress.
Soaking Wet and Frozen , at night , and in the house .

Warning: Covering the Sensors will make the Drone Unstable.
We have found that it will fly straight up in the air and land very hard.

This is not the way it should React.

There need to be a Firmware Update on this issue .
As DJI recommends to cover the sensors when flying over water.

Warning
: First minute of video is rough , gets better ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Mini 2 in the Rain , and Float on Water.

Interested in getting a Wet Suit to Empower your drone
email me at [email protected]

Forum Members get a nice discount Package.

Screenshot 11-17-2020 19.28.22.jpg

ORCA - lol or Tuxedo

Screenshot 11-17-2020 19.29.56.jpg

Last edited:
This is a nice looking wetsuit, looks like tuxedo edition. I like the fact of covering the sensor. I did the same when is getting dark because the vision sensor error and flies better. Also when I take videos passing close to leaves or branches the drone flies smooth without stop or go up or down and last, for hand landings is better.

Now I don't know the fact you are teaching about the angles. That is new for me. Thanks for that information. I will PM you since I am interested in a set for my DJI Mini 2 !!!

Nice video !!

Does this apply to the Mavic 2 or Air 2 as well ?
I have never seen this explained like this before , very interesting to see the angles and warnings that stop
your drone from starting.

Will this also effect how the Mini 2 flys ?

Does this apply to the Mavic 2 or Air 2 as well ?
I have never seen this explained like this before , very interesting to see the angles and warnings that stop
your drone from starting.

Will this also effect how the Mini 2 flys ?
No this does not apply to the Mavic 2 or the Air 2 as we have never run into any issues with the bottom sensors so there was no reason to cover them.

This only applies to the Mini 2 where the Sensors are very Sketch and unstable.

I will post a video of some of erratic behavior latter today ,

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Last edited:
I guess this will apply as well to the Mavic Mini. In the dark is horrible unstable and covering the sensor get much better.

I checked the angles with the Mavic Mini and with no bottom sensors covered, the IMU angle error occurred going past 45 degrees and disappeared coming back under 45 in both axis, so as you mentioned it might be Mini 2 specific.

As per the benefits of flying with the landing sensors covered, I often play with the Litchi beta app for the MM. In OPTIONS you can turn off the landing sensors and/or the optical positioning sensor (VPS). *** Just be warned*** that surprisingly they will remain off if you later close Litchi and switch to DJI Fly which doesn't offer the option to toggle the bottom sensors.

As per the benefits of flying with the landing sensors covered, I often play with the Litchi beta app for the MM. In OPTIONS you can turn off the landing sensors and/or the optical positioning sensor (VPS). *** Just be warned*** that surprisingly they will remain off if you later close Litchi and switch to DJI Fly which doesn't offer the option to toggle the bottom sensors.
I find this infuriating about DJI Fly. In DJI GO you can turn VPS on and off. It's critical for some not-that-uncommon shooting conditions, particularly over water. I've shot some incredible video at sunset on the beach flying 12-18" above the "washline" of the water coming up the sand. Simply can't do this with the VPS sensors active. This was with the MA1, but the MM2 could easily have shot this, and just as beautifully:

Unless you autoland, the VPS sensors on the minis serve no other purpose. Don't need a wetsuit, so I'm going to design and print some really nice-looking, functional cover for the sensors on the MM2.

Watch this space...

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
I am not sure but my guess is about 1.6 to 1.8 ounces.

Wetsuit + rescue jacket will be 2.08 ounces additional to the DJI Mini original weight.

Would be nice to have something that fits on like a gimbal protector, but is rather a big bubble so that the gimbal can still move for flight, but more or less still protected from the elements getting up into the gimbal and camera. That's the main concern I see even after the ports and battery bay are covered up (especially since the insides are still accessible thru the gimbal area).

That’s also my question
How do you achieve weather proofness when the gimbal area is open and rain can get through that in the drone?

I recently took a video with my Mini2 descending from clouds and revealing city towers at night, I really liked it but at landing I noticed the humidity condensations everywhere and I was mainly concerned about the front part

That’s also my question
How do you achieve weather proofness when the gimbal area is open and rain can get through that in the drone?

I recently took a video with my Mini2 descending from clouds and revealing city towers at night, I really liked it but at landing I noticed the humidity condensations everywhere and I was mainly concerned about the front part
Would be nice to have something that fits on like a gimbal protector, but is rather a big bubble so that the gimbal can still move for flight, but more or less still protected from the elements getting up into the gimbal and camera. That's the main concern I see even after the ports and battery bay are covered up (especially since the insides are still accessible thru the gimbal area).

The DJI Gimbal and Cameras on all of the DJI Drones we have found to be extremely water Resistant,

What we mean by that is if you were to submerge just the Camera under water it will still work but it will dis - connect as the signal cannot penetrate the water. So the Camera and Gimbal have never been an issue in any of the DJI Drones. Watch videos of Submersion on the website.

The Props are made of Aluminum Brush - Less Motors designed to Negotiate Water and extreme levels of heat , these are the same Motors used in some Submersibles.

That brings us to the Weak Link of the Mini 2 , that being the Battery Connect and Open Ports on the back and what happens to the Drone when
the water drops get on the bottom of the Sensors,, which causes it to be completely unstable and erratic , the same thing happens with snow flakes that get caught on the sensors or leaves or pollen.

The Mini 2 Wet Suit we designed enhances those weak area using a light weight and proven system.

The front bumper on the Wet Suit gives some front Protection against accidental bumps going forward,
The Side Bumpers give you a nice squeezable hand hold for a more secure hold .
The Mini 2 Wet Suit secures your battery connect and Open Ports.

The More video you watch of the DJI drones in the rain you will see the camera and gimbal by DJI design are very protected on there own.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and Float on Water.

Thank you for the insights.

How about completing it by protecting the camera glass from the elements?
Also, while you confirmed the motors are water resistant, I know they are not sand/debris resistant as one motor got stuck once because of that

Thank you for the insights.

How about completing it by protecting the camera glass from the elements?
Also, while you confirmed the motors are water resistant, I know they are not sand/debris resistant as one motor got stuck once because of that

When will the wet suit be available to purchase?
We will be posting them on the website on Monday both the Wet Suit and Flotation Jacket will be on Hold until
further notice and firmware is updated.

Let me have your email and I will let you know when the Forum Package is shipping.

Thank you PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: eaglesurfing
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore