DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sensors or no sensors when flying over water

My problem here is the West Virginia Hills I live in and if I am on top of a hill and fly the drone out of my sight and down over the river I do not know if the height measuring system is giving me the height over the water or the height from where it took off on the hill. I want to fly between 5 and 10 feet over the water and under the bridges but if the drone is not in my sight it's too scary to go for it.

So the risk of going lower is that you will loose GPS signal. The Altitude is going to show from where you took off from on the hill.

Here is what you should do first, go down to the river and fly under the bridge in with the best visual line of sight and if that goes well than you can challenge going under the bridge from a further position.

These challenges can be done but need to be done in baby steps to see where your weak link is.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: Quick_Star24
So the risk of going lower is that you will loose GPS signal. The Altitude is going to show from where you took off from on the hill.

Here is what you should do first, go down to the river and fly under the bridge in with the best visual line of sight and if that goes well than you can challenge going under the bridge from a further position.

These challenges can be done but need to be done in baby steps to see where your weak link is.

Phantomrain.org
I hear you and I know the problem is me....I should have mentioned when I can fly for a bit while at work on break or if we get done early I fly from the parking lot which is a half mile from the bridge and the water....I'll just go to the Marina or side of the river one day and get those good shots....Thanks!

I hear you and I know the problem is me....I should have mentioned when I can fly for a bit while at work on break or if we get done early I fly from the parking lot which is a half mile from the bridge and the water....I'll just go to the Marina or side of the river one day and get those good shots....Thanks!

What i would do in that case is several small Recon missions.
First flight out drop to desired alt fly our straight watch the GPS Ready on the RTH button.
Second mission Drop to desired alt and than Drop again to Second Alt Ready on the RTH button
Third Mission 2 Alt Drops and than front towards the Bridge opening.
4 th Mission, Line up for star wars warp phase into the tunnel and out and UP straight up .

Wish i could do it with you because I love that adventure.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Reactions: Quick_Star24
What i would do in that case is several small Recon missions.
First flight out drop to desired alt fly our straight watch the GPS Ready on the RTH button.
Second mission Drop to desired alt and than Drop again to Second Alt Ready on the RTH button
Third Mission 2 Alt Drops and than front towards the Bridge opening.
4 th Mission, Line up for star wars warp phase into the tunnel and out and UP straight up .

Wish i could do it with you because I love that adventure.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
Mission accepted!

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Phantomrain.org
GPS signal is not affected by altitude in open spaces.
RC to AC signal can be affected though.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun