DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Serial numbers

1hoax

Reactions
Trying to get to the bottom of this once n for all : )
Have little to no faith in Dji due to the rumour mill.
Is what they are saying here true?
Would also be awesome if people could look at their serial numbers and see if they have an ‘R’ wether you have a new or refurbished unit.
The serial number I gave on here is for a unit I had to return.
Tia [emoji109]IMG_1474.JPG

if serial starts w' R is a refurb

EDIT: Was true once upon a time. but not currently see below

Last edited:
I have a new machine (bought new) got it a year ago - my serial number is something like: 08QCEAL1234QU9 - bought it in July of 2018.

I have a new machine (bought new) got it a year ago - my serial number is something like: 08QCEAL1234QU9 - bought it in July of 2018.
you send to dji for repair? ive seen many times dji instead of repairing will just replace with a refurb. the refurbs do work so not much to worry about

I sent in my Mavic Pro for repair last Nov. and it came back with a serial number that did not have any "R" prefix or suffix. I also got a replacement controller that looked brand new without any "R" serial number. I think they may have replaced both with new units, but all I have to base that on is the internet comments about the "R" refurb markings. They work great and I was able to put the insurance on the replacement.

This might be useful to you. It's mostly for finding your manufacture date, but if I remember correctly when I punched in my number (on an MP1 refurb) it returned something about the fact that the camera may have been replaced. I don't have my serial handy at the moment to try it again. At the time I just needed to know if it met the cut-off date for having an internal SD card.

Would also be awesome if people could look at their serial numbers and see if they have an ‘R’ wether you have a new or refurbished unit.
Tia [emoji109]View attachment 77569

I can’t work out how to edit/add photos to this post [emoji25]

Basically ‘Dji Juan’ has confirmed/said all products with ‘last or 5th from last digit of the 14 digit serial number has an ‘R’ in that place

Basically ‘Dji Juan’ has confirmed/said all products with ‘last or 5th from last digit of the 14 digit serial number has an ‘R’ in that place
Ok being an authorized dealer we do buy some dji refurbished from dji. So rewind last year I recall looking at the mp and there was an R preceding the serial. Just checked my stock on the ronin mx & googles
The seventh digit on the googles is an r and does have a black sticker w same packaging
Now on a ronin mx no r whatsoever 77583
At this point prob only dji can tell

Reactions: Teddy warrick
Tia [emoji109]View attachment 77569

The main reason I ask is that some people have suggested that a uk supplier is selling refurbished units as ‘new’ : /
I know you shouldn’t believe everything you hear : ( but would like to be able to check against s/n

long story short..... I bought mp2, found some scuffs scratches on gimbal after owning it for a week.
As it had been flown I knew supplier wasn’t going to exchange it.
Contacted Dji who wanted to give me a refurb’
Told them I wanted an exchange direct from supplier, they finally agreed.
Returned damaged unit for refund, then receive ‘New’ replacement with an ‘R’ in the s/n 7th digit and just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a refurb

long story short..... I bought mp2, found some scuffs scratches on gimbal after owning it for a week.
As it had been flown I knew supplier wasn’t going to exchange it.
Contacted Dji who wanted to give me a refurb’
Told them I wanted an exchange direct from supplier, they finally agreed.
Returned damaged unit for refund, then receive ‘New’ replacement with an ‘R’ in the s/n 7th digit and just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a refurb

Also the s/n decoder dates it to dec’ 2018 : /

This might be useful to you. It's mostly for finding your manufacture date, but if I remember correctly when I punched in my number (on an MP1 refurb) it returned something about the fact that the camera may have been replaced. I don't have my serial handy at the moment to try it again. At the time I just needed to know if it met the cut-off date for having an internal SD card.

I just ran the serial # of the replacement unit and it comes back as "Model: Mavic Pro, build on: 11. October 2018". this was the replacement for one I sent in around Nov. 10th or so. Based on this I will assume they replaced my Pro Platinum with a brand new unit. Quite nice of them I must admit, since I bought it from the original owner and it only had about a weeks' worth of warranty remaining when I began having problems with it.

Reactions: Teddy warrick
I had a suspicion a while ago that DJI might've done away with the 'R' at the end of the SN for refurbished drone. Too many new owners crashing their brand new drone, use Care Refresh and hope to get a brand new drone as a replacement. They get really upset when they see an 'R', and want to send it back and demand DJI send them a brand new one.

I suppose that's possible, however it does mean that vendors could be buying them from DJI and selling them as new instead of refurbished, pocketing the difference. I seriously doubt they would want that sort of ambiguity about the status of their product. They seem better than that.

How did you determine the significance of the R in the serial number? I have heard about the prefix and suffix placement, but anywhere in the number is new to me. Is there a reliable source that describes this coding?

I ask because the original drone that was replaced had an R in the middle of the serial number. The replacement from DJI does not. So if that is true, they gave me a new drone to replace a refurb. If the R anywhere denotes a refurb, then they have been quite generous in my case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness