Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Service to inspect RV roofs?

Defens

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've had my Part 107 for about three years now and have only been flying recreationally. Just bought an Air 2S and a new Android tablet to add to the stable of an MP and a Spark, and have been thinking of ways to make back a bit on my investment.

I live in a beautiful rural area of Western Washington. There's a commercial RV park within rock-throwing distance from my property, and even in winter it seems to be fully occupied, with dozens of RVs. I've been thinking of talking to the park owners and getting permission to post some flyers to perform drone inspections of RV roofs. Particularly since we've been having some rough weather lately, I've thought that folks - particularly seniors (who own a lot of RVs) might be interested in getting a quick survey of their roof condition without having to climb up there.

Does this idea have any merit? What do you think would be a fair price? I was figuring something like $25 would get a quick inspection with a short video clip and say 8-10 photos of potential problem areas like the caulking around roof vents, antennae, air conditioners, etc.

Opinions welcomed!

Tufargon

Reactions
I live in an RV full time in a park similar to what you're talking about and I don't think it would be worth it. There's always someone around that will climb up on the roof for them just to take a look for free (it's just too easy and that's what RV neighbors do for each other). Even $25 would be too much IMHO. Might be better off getting air visuals of the park for the owners to use as advertisement. The other idea would be to go to arborists that do work at parks to help them locate dangerous trees. It would be a lot easier than them having to go up on a boom truck or even climbing up looking at each one.

MAvic_South_Oz

Reactions
I've had my Part 107 for about three years now and have only been flying recreationally. Just bought an Air 2S and a new Android tablet to add to the stable of an MP and a Spark, and have been thinking of ways to make back a bit on my investment.

I live in a beautiful rural area of Western Washington. There's a commercial RV park within rock-throwing distance from my property, and even in winter it seems to be fully occupied, with dozens of RVs. I've been thinking of talking to the park owners and getting permission to post some flyers to perform drone inspections of RV roofs. Particularly since we've been having some rough weather lately, I've thought that folks - particularly seniors (who own a lot of RVs) might be interested in getting a quick survey of their roof condition without having to climb up there.

Does this idea have any merit? What do you think would be a fair price? I was figuring something like $25 would get a quick inspection with a short video clip and say 8-10 photos of potential problem areas like the caulking around roof vents, antennae, air conditioners, etc.

Opinions welcomed!
Why not give it a shot.
If there’s a market, you’ll find out pretty quickly.
As long as the park owners agree, I’d ask the park owners for a recommendation of a couple of the parks long termers, and offer them a freebie each to show how it benefits to be RV owner.
They can help you then by word of mouth, and showing folk the images / video of what you can do.
The main stumbling block is going to be getting past the park owners / managers, they may see a huge liability risk, plus possible disturbance to the parks probable quiet nature for the residents.

Reactions: Defens

slozukimc

Reactions
Why not give it a shot.
If there’s a market, you’ll find out pretty quickly.
As long as the park owners agree, I’d ask the park owners for a recommendation of a couple of the parks long termers, and offer them a freebie each to show how it benefits to be RV owner.
They can help you then by word of mouth, and showing folk the images / video of what you can do.
The main stumbling block is going to be getting past the park owners / managers, they may see a huge liability risk, plus possible disturbance to the parks probable quiet nature for the residents.
Good luck but, on average, those folks don’t let up on cash easily and they will whine amongst each other if they find out you gave one a freebie and not them too. It is just a fancy trailer park after all.

Mike

Reactions: Defens and Starz

Bill Dunnuck

Reactions
Most parks don’t allow drones so be sure to get required approvals before doing inspections or it could be one and done.

slozukimc

Reactions
It might be worthwhile if you have IR imaging, such as the M2EA, but I doubt that visual inspection is going to be worth it.
Exactly. If you can show them a video of the AC leaking dollar bills out of specific parts of the trailer and possibly provide a service to remedy the losses with the drone analysis as part of the package they will bite.

Mike

NG Wildman

Reactions
Some good info here, HOWEVER, if you are only investing (for the time being) in research to see if the park allows it and a flier or two....WHY NOT????
Also, as people do talk a lot; if there i s another market out there in the park, it will probably surface rather quickly.
Nothing much to lose. Good luck.

lookout

Reactions
Some job offering to take you up to 70 miles in driving to do a 30 minute roof job and the software does the processing. Meager pay for one job and lots of mileage. About like delivering pizza. They don’t pay for the use of your car on that either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardstefans