DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Service to inspect RV roofs?

Defens

Reactions
I've had my Part 107 for about three years now and have only been flying recreationally. Just bought an Air 2S and a new Android tablet to add to the stable of an MP and a Spark, and have been thinking of ways to make back a bit on my investment.

I live in a beautiful rural area of Western Washington. There's a commercial RV park within rock-throwing distance from my property, and even in winter it seems to be fully occupied, with dozens of RVs. I've been thinking of talking to the park owners and getting permission to post some flyers to perform drone inspections of RV roofs. Particularly since we've been having some rough weather lately, I've thought that folks - particularly seniors (who own a lot of RVs) might be interested in getting a quick survey of their roof condition without having to climb up there.

Does this idea have any merit? What do you think would be a fair price? I was figuring something like $25 would get a quick inspection with a short video clip and say 8-10 photos of potential problem areas like the caulking around roof vents, antennae, air conditioners, etc.

Opinions welcomed!

I live in an RV full time in a park similar to what you're talking about and I don't think it would be worth it. There's always someone around that will climb up on the roof for them just to take a look for free (it's just too easy and that's what RV neighbors do for each other). Even $25 would be too much IMHO. Might be better off getting air visuals of the park for the owners to use as advertisement. The other idea would be to go to arborists that do work at parks to help them locate dangerous trees. It would be a lot easier than them having to go up on a boom truck or even climbing up looking at each one.

I've had my Part 107 for about three years now and have only been flying recreationally. Just bought an Air 2S and a new Android tablet to add to the stable of an MP and a Spark, and have been thinking of ways to make back a bit on my investment.

I live in a beautiful rural area of Western Washington. There's a commercial RV park within rock-throwing distance from my property, and even in winter it seems to be fully occupied, with dozens of RVs. I've been thinking of talking to the park owners and getting permission to post some flyers to perform drone inspections of RV roofs. Particularly since we've been having some rough weather lately, I've thought that folks - particularly seniors (who own a lot of RVs) might be interested in getting a quick survey of their roof condition without having to climb up there.

Does this idea have any merit? What do you think would be a fair price? I was figuring something like $25 would get a quick inspection with a short video clip and say 8-10 photos of potential problem areas like the caulking around roof vents, antennae, air conditioners, etc.

Opinions welcomed!
Why not give it a shot.
If there’s a market, you’ll find out pretty quickly.
As long as the park owners agree, I’d ask the park owners for a recommendation of a couple of the parks long termers, and offer them a freebie each to show how it benefits to be RV owner.
They can help you then by word of mouth, and showing folk the images / video of what you can do.
The main stumbling block is going to be getting past the park owners / managers, they may see a huge liability risk, plus possible disturbance to the parks probable quiet nature for the residents.

Why not give it a shot.
If there’s a market, you’ll find out pretty quickly.
As long as the park owners agree, I’d ask the park owners for a recommendation of a couple of the parks long termers, and offer them a freebie each to show how it benefits to be RV owner.
They can help you then by word of mouth, and showing folk the images / video of what you can do.
The main stumbling block is going to be getting past the park owners / managers, they may see a huge liability risk, plus possible disturbance to the parks probable quiet nature for the residents.
Good luck but, on average, those folks don’t let up on cash easily and they will whine amongst each other if they find out you gave one a freebie and not them too. It is just a fancy trailer park after all.

Mike

Reactions: Defens and Starz
Most parks don’t allow drones so be sure to get required approvals before doing inspections or it could be one and done.

Reactions: Defens
It might be worthwhile if you have IR imaging, such as the M2EA, but I doubt that visual inspection is going to be worth it.
Exactly. If you can show them a video of the AC leaking dollar bills out of specific parts of the trailer and possibly provide a service to remedy the losses with the drone analysis as part of the package they will bite.

Mike

Some good info here, HOWEVER, if you are only investing (for the time being) in research to see if the park allows it and a flier or two....WHY NOT????
Also, as people do talk a lot; if there i s another market out there in the park, it will probably surface rather quickly.
Nothing much to lose. Good luck.

Some job offering to take you up to 70 miles in driving to do a 30 minute roof job and the software does the processing. Meager pay for one job and lots of mileage. About like delivering pizza. They don’t pay for the use of your car on that either.

I suspect the first thing the park owner would ask for is to see evidence of business liability insurance.
I was a home inspector for a time a good while back. There's also errors and omissions coverage, which protects the inspector in the event he/she misses something and the client files suit after the fact.

EDIT: both are expensive.

Last edited:
Good luck but, on average, those folks don’t let up on cash easily and they will whine amongst each other if they find out you gave one a freebie and not them too. It is just a fancy trailer park after all.

Mike
Whoa there!! I'm guessing that you know absolutely nothing about RV parks! You serious think that folks who more than likely have spent many tens of thousands of dollars on their RV "don't let up on cash easily"?? And RV parks are "just a fancy trailer park"?? I don't know know how many RV parks you've visited or stayed at but speaking as one who has stayed at hundreds of parks over the years, nothing could be further from the truth.

It’s really not a big deal to get on an RV roof and check I highly doubt you’d get many customers
Very true. I don't fault the OP for exploring ideas of how to generate income from his drone and asking for input here, but the idea simply does not work on many fronts. As you mention, just not that big a deal to inspect your own roof or have someone you know do it, and no way would an RV park or the campers tolerate a drone buzzing around over RV rigs. I suppose it could be done outside an RV park, but that wouldn't be that feasible either.

As others have mentioned , insurance, liability etc. are big obstacles and photos would simply not be useful as a real "inspection" requires some knowledge of what you're looking at as well as detailed observations of various components that would be impossible to spot from the air.

Reactions: slozukimc
Whoa there!! I'm guessing that you know absolutely nothing about RV parks! You serious think that folks who more than likely have spent many tens of thousands of dollars on their RV "don't let up on cash easily"?? And RV parks are "just a fancy trailer park"?? I don't know know how many RV parks you've visited or stayed at but speaking as one who has stayed at hundreds of parks over the years, nothing could be further from the truth.
Many of the parks around here are full of folks that live there most of the year and never move their park model rv’s. I have friends who own parks and family that lives in them as well. They whine and gossip amongst each other just like any trailer park and most stay there because it is cheaper than owning land and a home or renting. Maybe that isn’t your experience but it is what goes on around here.

Reactions: Tufargon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+