DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting aside the increased battery "plus" weight

SHRED

Reactions
Is it really that advantageous to order the Plus batteries?
They give an additional 10 mins?

Any additional min of flight time is a bonus, especially when you really need it, so I'd say yes, the difference in "quality" flying time between my Mavic 2 Pro & my Mavic 3 is very noticeable, I can fly a lot more leisurely knowing I have the luxury of extra battery % on my side now.

Reactions: SHRED
Any additional min of flight time is a bonus, especially when you really need it, so I'd say yes, the difference in "quality" flying time between my Mavic 2 Pro & my Mavic 3 is very noticeable, I can fly a lot more leisurely knowing I have the luxury of extra battery % on my side now.
Thanks.
I'm in the process of selling my M2P right now and want to get a Mini 3 Pro. Just checking the options out.

In addition to added flight time, the plus battery helps you keep from depleting the battery down to a level that reduces the life of the battery. That is, even if you're not making longer flights, you'll be landing with the battery at a higher charge level rather than stressing it by discharging lower.

Reactions: EP32k2 and SHRED
Huge. HUUGE. It doesn't take much fly time to find yourself sweating bullets after returning to a wind that kicked up after your second or third spherical panorama. The longer battery life is insurance and those extra minutes may get you over a hill to something amazing you would not have seen otherwise. I have a Mavic 3 and I got the Mini 3 but am waiting on long life batteries. I took my Mini with me on an all day photo expedition. I never bothered to even open the case as I knew my Mavic would allow me better exploration on every flight. I'm not really sure why I bought it...wait..a buddy bought one so I had to do it too...sigh :) I'm hoping he doesn't buy a decked out Matrice LOL

As someone who has written about how life changing those extra minutes are when flying the Mavic 3 I would say yes.

10 Extra Minutes means No panic, Time to think, Act , change and Refocus , Reshoot , gain another angle , challenge the weather longer for a much better shot. Emergency time to come back over the water if you miss calculated some because of strong winds.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: davefabik and SHRED
As someone who has written about how life changing those extra minutes are when flying the Mavic 3 I would say yes.

10 Extra Minutes means No panic, Time to think, Act , change and Refocus , Reshoot , gain another angle , challenge the weather longer for a much better shot. Emergency time to come back over the water if you miss calculated some because of strong winds.

Phantomrain.org
I have looked and it appears they can't be ordered with this plus battery other than the fly more kit?

Naw, you'll quickly get used to those extra minutes and take them for granted. Remember going from 20 minutes flight time to 30 and how at first it seemed amazing, but now it's just one more factor for planning and the time still runs out…

Just like four-wheel drive, which lets you get stuck in even more inaccessible places. 🤣

For those advocating that the extra capacity could save you if you were caught out downwind or over water or what ever, is it not likely that using the bigger battery you will make your flights based on the bigger capacity and push the bigger battery to its limit just as you may do with the smaller battery?

Oh I see Robert Prior beat me to this thought whilst I was typing it out.

So I just received the Plus battery kit for the M3P - The Aircraft showed up a week earlier, so was stuck with the one battery for a week (which holds a decent charge of ~ 30 min or so), charged the Plus batteries up and took first couple flights today, first flight was very comfortable at 35 minutes in the air, took it home without being told low battery just to give my eyes a rest and still had like 18% or so left. Took a break, had a cup of coffee and flew second battery for 37 minutes, still had plenty of gas left when I took her home, and I still had the stock battery at full charge if I needed to fly any more, (+ the mini 2 in the trunk), so yes the Plus batteries IMO are a no brainier for the few xtra $$. They say 47 minutes I believe, so I think 40 minutes is doable with time to spare. Thats pretty good air time. I've been flying the mini 2 for a while with 3 batteries, I think I could almost cover that flying time with 1 Plus battery, taking into account the time bringing it back to change the battery and get back where you were, etc

Good to hear. I look forward to ending a 2.5mo wait for mine in August when it's scheduled to arrive.

Huge. HUUGE. It doesn't take much fly time to find yourself sweating bullets after returning to a wind that kicked up after your second or third spherical panorama. The longer battery life is insurance and those extra minutes may get you over a hill to something amazing you would not have seen otherwise. I have a Mavic 3 and I got the Mini 3 but am waiting on long life batteries. I took my Mini with me on an all day photo expedition. I never bothered to even open the case as I knew my Mavic would allow me better exploration on every flight. I'm not really sure why I bought it...wait..a buddy bought one so I had to do it too...sigh :) I'm hoping he doesn't buy a decked out Matrice LOL
Competition among buddies...I get that!

I‘m very new to this and slowly getting over the anxiety in actually flying a drone. Having a battery that last 35-36 minutes vs 24 is one less thing to worry about. I bought a few to use during travels. .

Reactions: KLRSKIR

Phantomrain.org
I’ve been watching a lot of videos about range tests (very entertaining for a newbie), in many cases the battery gives out before signal loss. Two or three more minutes would have made a world of difference.

I will get 5 batteries for my Mini 3, same as my Mav 3. I have 6 for my FPV. When I go out for a day of shooting as I did the other day, it might be a 15hr day or more ( I left at 5:30 am and got back at 10:30PM and shot throughout the entire drive. With 5 batteries I can keep rotating them and charging them as I move from place to place. I have two cigarette lighter chargers that do 65watt+ and one I connect to my regular Mav3 charger tray and the other I connect directly to my Mav3 with a battery inside. That way I can charge two at time between filming and it keeps me going througout the day. I can no longer hike so my shooting is all done from the road.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
I’ve been watching a lot of videos about range tests (very entertaining for a newbie), in many cases the battery gives out before signal loss. Two or three more minutes would have made a world of difference.
Almost all of those so-called "range tests" are intentionally dramatic productions aimed at attracting views and subscribers. Classic click-bait. If battery capacity is increased by 20%, those folks would just increase the flight distance by 20% to have the same nail-biting return to home.

Youtube drone range tests aren't tests at all. They're demonstrations. About like "Watch how far I can drive before my car runs out of gas!"

It's a well-known fact that there are no good images more than 100 metres from the road. :)
thanks for the tip! now setting my distance limit to 100meters... :)

Yes…..it really does make a difference.. I thought the same and was just going to go with the standard battery FMC but instead went with the plus FMC . Glad I did.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom