DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting RTH height

redserv

Reactions
Hey Guys I have a noob question. How do I know what height I should set RTH on my mavic if I am not sure what's the height of lets say the tallest tree around me? Please forgive me for the question, but I am a first time mavic owner.

I have flown up in a straight line next to the trees in my area and found that they are all below 110 feet tall. I use that as a good baseline and then adjust if I am flying in an unfamiliar location.

Ah great idea BD0G, thank you for the feedback, much appreciated :)

How do I know what height I should set RTH on my mavic if I am not sure what's the height of lets say the tallest tree around me?
Ascend above the takeoff location until you can see the horizon in all directions. Then, add 50 feet to the current altitude displayed in DJI GO.

i estimate the tallest obstacle and then add 50 feet

Reactions: Aleng P
Ah great idea BD0G, thank you for the feedback, much appreciated :)

Also, dont trust Google Earth for exact tree heights. I have planned some Lichti Missions and pre flew them in Lichti Mission Visualizer in Google Earth. Everything looked good for the flight path and that I would clear all the tops of trees. Flew the mission and observed as the Mavic would have flown right through the top of multiple trees. Terminated the Mission and adjusted the altitude values and reflew it.

Hehe! Here's an OLD trick!!
Stand back, look up at the highest tree, get a pencil (or similar) and hold it in your fist..... using your thumb and finger as the ground, pull the pencil out until it is the height of the tree. Then simply rotate your wrist so the tip of the pencil meets a mark on the ground. Then go and measure or pace out the base of the tree to your mark... thats the height of the tree!!

Hehe! Here's an OLD trick!!
Stand back, look up at the highest tree, get a pencil (or similar) and hold it in your fist..... using your thumb and finger as the ground, pull the pencil out until it is the height of the tree. Then simply rotate your wrist so the tip of the pencil meets a mark on the ground. Then go and measure or pace out the base of the tree to your mark... thats the height of the tree!!

interesting.

The RTH height on my Mavic Air peaks at 50m. Is that the highest that I can set it?

Last edited:
The RTH height on my Mavic Air peaks at 50m. Is that the highest that I can set it?
You can set it to 500 meters if you're flying with a remote controller.

Reactions: Knewkid
I'm sorry to ask this OLD question over again - but I can't find an actual answer stated clearly in the forum nor in Google. I find lots of people talking around it...but not actually saying "Yes" or "No":

If you are returning to home (RTH) and come to an obstacle that's taller than your max altitude setting, will the Mavic climb above the max altitude to avoid the obstacle?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ