DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Settings for water launch land

Jameslavis

Reactions
Plan to do a few hand launch and lands from a boat. Flown over frozen water and a few rivers. Plan to do some recon on a few islands from our boat.

What settings will minimize the chances of this landing in the drink? Aside from the standard direction, compass, gps and interference checks. I wanna make sure it’s not worrying about my home point and won’t use RTH.

Set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" to make sure your Mavic does not attempt to RTH if the remote controller signal is lost. You can find that setting in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost-Mavic-Air.jpg

Aside from that, make sure you land before the battery reaches the critically low level. Maybe take some extra batteries so you don't have to attempt to squeeze out every last possible ounce of power.

How about switching off sensors..........

If you going to hand catch it then I hear that the bottom sensors need to be turned off, otherwise as you go to catch it the drone will fly up. But @Lake_Flyer mentioned that apparently you can just turn off the 'landing protection' and this will prevent the Drone from flying up when you go to catch it. But maybe someone can clarify this? When you catch it, I am told that hold it in place and keep the left controller stick pressed down and that will shut the motors off.

I w
If you going to hand catch it then I hear that the bottom sensors need to be turned off, otherwise as you go to catch it the drone will fly up. But @Lake_Flyer mentioned that apparently you can just turn off the 'landing protection' and this will prevent the Drone from flying up when you go to catch it. But maybe someone can clarify this? When you catch it, I am told that hold it in place and keep the left controller stick pressed down and that will shut the motors off.
I was thinking more about the downward sensors in relation to flying over water since these sensors do not perform well over water.

Reactions: genesimmons
I’m cruising over islands so I’ll be up 30m or so. When I hand land I pull sport mode to grab and power down the motors with the other hand. I figured the RTH setting as I don’t want it to drop and find a fun watery grave.

I’m cruising over islands so I’ll be up 30m or so. When I hand land I pull sport mode to grab and power down the motors with the other hand. I figured the RTH setting as I don’t want it to drop and find a fun watery grave.

Why do people run sport mode to hand catch on water?

I use sport mode to catch all the time. Sport mode disables the sensors for me. If you grab in pmode it moves away.

You might consider turning off the forward collision sensors. Depending on how early/late in the day, sun reflection off the water can cause the Mavic to falsely detect an obstacle and stop.

For the sensors it is sufficient disabling "Landing protection". This makes hand-catching much more safe and easy.

If you set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" what will happen if you can't regain signal between the drone and the RC? Will it hover till the battery die and then land in the water?

If you set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" what will happen if you can't regain signal between the drone and the RC? Will it hover till the battery die and then land in the water?
The Mavic will hover in place until the battery reaches the critically low level. At that point, it'll auto land at its current location.

I have seen a kit for flying over water with the MA on Amazon. It looks like extended landing gear with 4 styrofoam balls attached. It looks weird, and a little hinky. I live on a lake so I am thinking of trying it to avoid an expensive "water landing"!
Has anyone tried this out?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro