DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Settings when recording video

4wd

Premium Pilot
Reactions
What are people using now that the 'best' option of Art mode is at least temporarily missing?
Looking back at first couple of flights with Art -1, 0, 0 the results were significantly better than anything I've tried since - but not sure why!
You'd think None with maybe -2, -2, -2 would be similar but it's not.

D-Cinelike is fairly neutral but still just don't like it as much as Art.
Tried True colour which can look OK straight from camera if it's dull, but in contrasty winter sunshine blacks are crushed to a ridiculous extent - you can't make anything of it.

How about Log with everything turned up a bit?
There are just so many things you might try.
I don't think any one style is 'best' for all conditions especially in these dark days of winter when dull days are really low light but low winter sun creates very strong contrasts.

With the P3 I always used Log and had a few LUTs but it was usually easy to get a nice look using your own adjustments. Mavic editing seems such hard work by comparison so far.
At this stage I'm so pleased the P3 is still here because Mavic results seem very unpredictable to the extent that if a nice opportunity comes up I'd be reluctant to use it.

Looking at youtube you do see some material looks remarkably good but plenty more that is pretty awful under any serious scrutiny. There's definitely a lot of scope for disappointing results.
Stills meanwhile seem quite good, I'm sure the camera could be better at video with some firmware changes.

Bring back Art please DJI

Reactions: erikgraham
new pilot here and still learning to set up video on my Mavic. Looked in my list of abbreviations but could not find "a few LUTs" listed. What is that? Thanks

A LUT is abbreviation of Look Up Table, with more sophisticated software you can 'describe' modifications to main settings like a list of numbers which can be read by software and applied to the video.
The advantage of this is consistency and relatively quick to apply a few favourite changes in one go.
You can also share the LUT with others and they can be bought form various outlets.

What are people using now that the 'best' option of Art mode is at least temporarily missing?
Looking back at first couple of flights with Art -1, 0, 0 the results were significantly better than anything I've tried since - but not sure why!
You'd think None with maybe -2, -2, -2 would be similar but it's not.

D-Cinelike is fairly neutral but still just don't like it as much as Art.
Tried True colour which can look OK straight from camera if it's dull, but in contrasty winter sunshine blacks are crushed to a ridiculous extent - you can't make anything of it.

How about Log with everything turned up a bit?
There are just so many things you might try.
I don't think any one style is 'best' for all conditions especially in these dark days of winter when dull days are really low light but low winter sun creates very strong contrasts.

With the P3 I always used Log and had a few LUTs but it was usually easy to get a nice look using your own adjustments. Mavic editing seems such hard work by comparison so far.
At this stage I'm so pleased the P3 is still here because Mavic results seem very unpredictable to the extent that if a nice opportunity comes up I'd be reluctant to use it.

Looking at youtube you do see some material looks remarkably good but plenty more that is pretty awful under any serious scrutiny. There's definitely a lot of scope for disappointing results.
Stills meanwhile seem quite good, I'm sure the camera could be better at video with some firmware changes.

Bring back Art please DJI
Just started flying the Mavic so maybe I'm missing something, but I see "Art" is a style option. You posted this a few weeks ago. Perhaps they added it back in recently?

9a88255ce1d79631f8c28bea280518ac.jpg

How would I fix this? Thanks