DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Severe MP Platinum crash

Theo Broma

Reactions
Hi pilots,

a while back I was on a climbing excursion in a massive cave. Making a b-roll shot entering the cave I lost GPS signal leading to me crashing the drone into the cave wall.

The gimbal took a hit and at first I got the Gimbal motor overload message which I fixed (I believe) with the help of another thread on the forum.

Thing is the crash was pretty hard, one of the front legs even broke off, see photo.

I now get a Compass error. Move compass or calibrate. I tried calibrating a couple of times. Didn't work. On the compass status it reads Compass 1: disconnected Compass 2: (differs between 10-20, excellent).

Can someone help me with how I could proceed with the issue? Much appreciated.

Ps. I changed continent between the crash and now, although I think it's irrelevant I wanted to mention it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200526_194408.jpg
    IMG_20200526_194408.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
Compass 1 is on the top rear of the drone, behind the battery. If you watch some YouTube repair videos it shows you how to remove the top shell / housing. The compass module follows the top shell. Can you check if it was indeed not properly connected? Its a rather finicky assembly as it usually requires a tweezer or tool to reconnect if you have already dismantled the top shell. The compass module if need replacement, is not expensive. You can purchase it from websites.

Reactions: Bekanne
Thank you for a great reply. I think I know the module and it's little cable it connects with. I'll check it this weekend.

Regards,
Olle

Compass 1...

I was able to fix the issue with the compass with the help of your instructions, thank you for that.

As I took off I confirmed what I'd feared. One of the wing attachments were bent on impact (see pic) and I believe this is the cause of the drone flying wobbly and not being able to be completely still while hoovering. Any idea how I can deattach the piece and fix it? Much appreciated you taking the time

IMG_20200609_183450.jpg

In E-commerce websites, this leg is usually available for sale, not expensive at all. Perhaps you can source it also.

From what I know it should not cause wobbly flying. Have you calibrated compass and IMU in a open area with no interference? Did you fly indoors in Atti mode?

If you attach your flight record we can take a look but unless the leg is dangling and shaking, it should not cause wobbling flight. I assume the leg broke due to crashing, right?

From what I know it should not cause wobbly flying. Have you calibrated compass and IMU in a open area with no interference? Did you fly indoors in Atti mode?

I assume the leg broke due to crashing, right?

Thanks I'll look into getting a new leg asap. I wasn't clear in my previous post. What I meant is not the broken leg but the wing attachment cylinder (don't have a better word for it) on top of the arm. It looks like it got bent up making the wing have a different angle than the other side. I believe this makes the drone wobbly. I've calibrated compass and IMU and they seem fine.

I attached two photos, it's hard to see but on the left wing small copper threads can be seen under the cylinder and the wing has a different angle than on the right side. It's not that much difference but perhaps enough to make act like it does.
Do you think it's possible to replace the cylinder and straight up the angle again?

IMG_20200610_195747.jpgIMG_20200610_195722.jpg

Thanks I'll look into getting a new leg asap. I wasn't clear in my previous post. What I meant is not the broken leg but the wing attachment cylinder (don't have a better word for it) on top of the arm. It looks like it got bent up making the wing have a different angle than the other side. I believe this makes the drone wobbly. I've calibrated compass and IMU and they seem fine.

I attached two photos, it's hard to see but on the left wing small copper threads can be seen under the cylinder and the wing has a different angle than on the right side. It's not that much difference but perhaps enough to make act like it does.
Do you think it's possible to replace the cylinder and straight up the angle again?

View attachment 104328View attachment 104329
In that case surely it’s not flight worthy. A total arm replacement is necessary. Forget about the leg. It’ll come free when you buy a complete front right arm. Again, not too expensive and you can even use standard Mavic Pro 1 arm. They are same just different colour. It will require complete disassembly and soldering job.

while you’re at it might as well change the propellers.

In that case surely it’s not flight worthy. A total arm replacement is necessary. Forget about the leg. It’ll come free when you buy a complete front right arm. Again, not too expensive and you can even use standard Mavic Pro 1 arm. They are same just different colour. It will require complete disassembly and soldering job.

while you’re at it might as well change the propellers.

The arm does seem inexpensive and I can get hold of a good soldering iron which I know how to use. Do you reckon it's a repair job that one without a lot of knowledge of electronics but quite handy with mechanics can do? Surely I'd use a video for support.

Thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated

The arm does seem inexpensive and I can get hold of a good soldering iron which I know how to use. Do you reckon it's a repair job that one without a lot of knowledge of electronics but quite handy with mechanics can do? Surely I'd use a video for support.

Thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated
Yes. It’s easy. You need screw drivers, tweezers and soldering iron and solder tin.

Yes. It’s easy. You need screw drivers, tweezers and soldering iron and solder tin.

Great!

Test flying it again, I discovered I might not been able to fix a previous problem due to the crash which involves Gimbal motor overload. I had previously tightened the anti-vibration plate and didn't receive the message anymore.

Today I got the message again (Gimbal .. overload). The camera pans out to the side when I hold the drone and image on and off becomes very shaky. It kind of have it's own life when I hold it still or turn it around. Doesn't happen while flying as much but might enhance the wobbly feeling. In the crash the gimbal took a hit and has a scratch mark and the module even has a crack I saw.

IMG_20200613_163142.jpgIMG_20200613_163118.jpg

Any idea what I should do about this?

I could write a book about gimbal failure of MP and still it would not be enough to directly troubleshoot your problem....

edit- I have thought hard about your condition:
If your aircraft is still not flying stably, it makes sense that even a good gimbal will not work.

your pictures are not enough to determine the cause of gimbal error. It’s very sensitive and can even fail without ANY visible defect.

check if the suspension, ie the vibration plate, the 4x rubber bands are still mounted correctly. Check if the gimbal can rotate FREELY in all 3 axis. Really freely like it can overshoot and bounce back in rotation. If both above is ok, the possibly gimbal or gimbal cable is damaged, so proceed with the following :
1. Make sure the camera is still functioning. That is it can take pictures and focus
2. The cheap way to fix gimbal is to buy a used, working gimbal.
3. along with the gimbal you should buy a new gimbal flex cable which is usually easy to break if you crash or do a disassembly of the gimbal.
4. Combine the used, working gimbal with new flex cable with your own camera and camera cable, and use it as a replacement of the existing gimbal.
5. The cracks you show are on the plastic covers which don’t affect the operation of the gimbal. The covers need to transferred over to your new assembly.

there is another even faster way which is to buy a new, fully working complete gimbal + camera + gimbalcontrol board + suspension which is around 150USD. It almost guarantees successful repair.

Last edited:
there is another even faster way which is to buy a new, fully working complete gimbal + camera + gimbalcontrol board + suspension which is around 150USD. It almost guarantees successful repair.
+1 for that suggestion

+1 for that suggestion

Thanks!

I could write a book about gimbal failure of MP and still it would not be enough to directly troubleshoot your problem....

edit- I have thought hard about your condition:
If your aircraft is still not flying stably, it makes sense that even a good gimbal will not work.

your pictures are not enough to determine the cause of gimbal error. It’s very sensitive and can even fail without ANY visible defect.

check if the suspension, ie the vibration plate, the 4x rubber bands are still mounted correctly. Check if the gimbal can rotate FREELY in all 3 axis. Really freely like it can overshoot and bounce back in rotation. If both above is ok, the possibly gimbal or gimbal cable is damaged, so proceed with the following :
1. Make sure the camera is still functioning. That is it can take pictures and focus
2. The cheap way to fix gimbal is to buy a used, working gimbal.
3. along with the gimbal you should buy a new gimbal flex cable which is usually easy to break if you crash or do a disassembly of the gimbal.
4. Combine the used, working gimbal with new flex cable with your own camera and camera cable, and use it as a replacement of the existing gimbal.
5. The cracks you show are on the plastic covers which don’t affect the operation of the gimbal. The covers need to transferred over to your new assembly.

Great @lee82gx, thank you for your follow-up answer. The gimbal can rotate freely in all 3 axis without any problems. What have noticed though, is that the gimbal leans a little bit to the left. I don´t believe this is normal but I´ve no other Mavic to compare with, in online photos the gimbal seems to be hanging very straight.

When I checked it I noticed the upper part of the gimbal (with the pull tab sticker on it) is almost touching the black plastic frame to which the gimbal is mounted (and the rubber bands). It´s about a millimeter or less from touching the frame. Surely this can cause friction and prohibit the gimbal to move freely while flying and moving through the air. Is the frame the suspension you mention?

Looks like the gimbal plate broke. But at this point it's really time for you to either send it out for repairs or start disassembly. You should be able to see better. Just see some YouTube gimbal repair and you can see a picture of a good parts.

I took it apart. I believe this bracket is the problem as it seems distorted. I think this is the plate you mean as well. Looking into getting a new absorbing-board and see where I go from there

ThanksIMG_20200628_193319_9~2.jpg

This plate can be bent back. As long as it doesn't snap.

Update. I managed to bend the plate back although have not yet had the time to re assembled the drone to see if it works. Also I have ordered a few pieces. I have another question concerning the FPV cable, a flat cable connecting the gimbal to drone. I noticed it is a tiny bit torned (in the pic below the top of the gimbal). Might just be from the attachment, Idk as I can not see if it is connected there or if it is just hold in place by the little handle.

Do you believe Id need to replace this cable as well? To me it looks like it just came loose from the handle but the actual cable is fine, Ive understood it is quite sensitive though. PSX_20200710_202930~2.jpg

Update. I managed to bend the plate back although have not yet had the time to re assembled the drone to see if it works. Also I have ordered a few pieces. I have another question concerning the FPV cable, a flat cable connecting the gimbal to drone. I noticed it is a tiny bit torned (in the pic below the top of the gimbal). Might just be from the attachment, Idk as I can not see if it is connected there or if it is just hold in place by the little handle.

Do you believe Id need to replace this cable as well? To me it looks like it just came loose from the handle but the actual cable is fine, Ive understood it is quite sensitive though. View attachment 107411
Your pictures are quite unclear in telling your stories bro....no offence. If you think the flat cable is torn then do yourself a favour and replace it. It’s not expensive. In fact I have 3 spares.

Non taken mate I'm aware my pictures are not very clear and my explication of them even more so perhaps. I'll get one or two just in case then. Thanks again, all the best

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom