DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shaky videos (jello)

NC_Spark_3D

Reactions
I received a replacement Mavic Pro under the Care Refresh program. The drone looks like new. These videos were made on the second and third flights. The videos are shaky and wiggly like jello. There was no wind. Could it be a bad gimbal or motors out of sync? Here are a couple of videos (set to 1080p for best results):

In the second video the camera drops down quickly at 5 seconds into the video (I didn't use the wheel).

I have contacted DJI about this. I'll update this thread when I get a response. Any ideas about what's causing this?

Edit: Oops. Should have been in the Mavic Pro section. :/ @LuvMyTJ

Last edited:
Won’t be viewing the vids due to requirements you method required. Sorry ‘bout that, just don’t want to download an app I never heard of.

Maybe put the up on YouTube as most members do.

Videos work for me, it's just using Google photos.... I'm no expert, but yeah, that's a shaky video. Will be curious what DJI say, it's almost like the gimbal motor is trying to move but binding on something.

Reactions: NC_Spark_3D
There is a small circular protective sticky tab on the back of the camera body. This was rubbing against the back of the gimbal on mine giving similar results; did you remove this?

Have no problem viewing the videos either...

Reactions: NC_Spark_3D
Can’t explain it, but could watch the videos now straight up.... go figure, almost like owning a drone. ;)

What is the source of the vids (SS card, direct dL, etc? It looks like there could be dropped frames. What were your camera settings?

Can’t explain it, but could watch the videos now straight up.... go figure, almost like owning a drone. ;)

What is the source of the vids (SS card, direct dL, etc? It looks like there could be dropped frames. What were your camera settings?
Well, I put them up on YouTube, maybe that did it for you. Yes, the videos were taken off the microSD card. Not sure the camera settings, but I didn't change anything from the stock settings.

I haven't gotten a reply back from DJI yet. Kind of surprised about that. :rolleyes:

Today's a perfect day with no wind. I'm going to do some test flights and make some changes. First I'll use the same microSD card but change the props. Next flight I'll change the microSD card and see if these changes make any difference.

I am probably wrong here but to me, that looks exactly like electromagnetic interference. But what could have caused it? So yeah, I am probably wrong.

Well, I put them up on YouTube, maybe that did it for you. Yes, the videos were taken off the microSD card. Not sure the camera settings, but I didn't change anything from the stock settings.
Still looks like the video errors you show are due to skipping and/or interpolating frames. Maybe try a couple of different settings in both auto and manual modes just to see if the anomaly is resolved by any of the changes in your settings.

Another beautiful day for flying - and more jello. :( This is with good props and a fresh SD card. You can see that the jello only happens when the camera is level with the horizon. When it's pointing down it's stable.

I don't think your camera is dropping frames, because if that's going to happen, it will be happening when the image is changing across the sensor. You are seeing this 'shudder' when the camera is steady and looking to the distance with little image change.
My suggestion is to hover the drone at head-height, and just use your Mk1-eyeball to observe the camera gimbal assembly. I think you might see some sympathetic oscillation of the camera gimbal. That can be caused by the gimbal mount-plate coming free (have a close look at this) ...
Gimbal_tab.jpg This causes the main gimbal assembly to just hang unsupported from the rubber mount gromets. The plate should be under the tab, so the tab supports the rear of the plate.

Or if that's OK - and you are seeing shaking of the actual gimbal, then this can be tuned out with adjustment of the 'Gain' loops that keep the Mavic stable. If you need to try that, I can post a good video showing why and how ...

I don't think your camera is dropping frames, because if that's going to happen, it will be happening when the image is changing across the sensor. You are seeing this 'shudder' when the camera is steady and looking to the distance with little image change.
My suggestion is to hover the drone at head-height, and just use your Mk1-eyeball to observe the camera gimbal assembly. I think you might see some sympathetic oscillation of the camera gimbal. That can be caused by the gimbal mount-plate coming free (have a close look at this) ...
View attachment 70393 This causes the main gimbal assembly to just hang unsupported from the rubber mount gromets. The plate should be under the tab, so the tab supports the rear of the plate.

Or if that's OK - and you are seeing shaking of the actual gimbal, then this can be tuned out with adjustment of the 'Gain' loops that keep the Mavic stable. If you need to try that, I can post a good video showing why and how ...
I will check these things out and post again in a while.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Another beautiful day for flying - and more jello. :( This is with good props and a fresh SD card. You can see that the jello only happens when the camera is level with the horizon. When it's pointing down it's stable.

One other thought is a failing wire from the gimbal camera causing poor connection in the forward orientation.

One other thought is a failing wire from the gimbal camera causing poor connection in the forward orientation.
Do you have extended travel enabled? It almost as if it is fighting against the hard limits of travel.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000