DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sharpest F stop mavic 2 Pro??

Is it true that using Aperture priority set at .......lets use f4 as an example will cause the Shutter speed to fluctuate? According to the ambient light of course. AP mode is a control mechanism for depth of field...... low f-stop equals shallow DOF when the main subject is close to camera...... like in a portrait situation.
Professionals, please correct me if I’m Offbase

Yes. You do not want to use aperture or shutter priority if you want a constant exposure. If the drone/camera is tasked with keeping a set exposure, it has to change something in the exposure triangle to maintain that when conditions change (Shutter, Aperture, or ISO). When shooting video, you don't want any of those things changing if you want smooth, consistent footage, so you should always use full manual mode for best results. For photos, Aperture priority is great.

Also, on a 1" sensor, depth of field is so enormous that it almost doesn't matter. Add to that the fact that most drone shots are from high up in the air, DOF is practically infinite anyway. F2.8 on a 1" sensor has the same visual DOF as F8 on a full frame camera to give you some perspective - pretty much everything will still be on focus at any normal distance. This is also the same reason why your smartphone always has everything in focus even at F1.8 - the sensor is so tiny (1.2.3") that F1.8 has a DOF equivalent of around F10 on a full frame camera for comparison - so again, everything is pretty much always in focus.

Reactions: Prmath
Boy is that ever true in South Texas even in October. I thought for sure an ND16 would be my go to filter but I found even with that the highlights were blown out in small areas. So now at least in bright sunshine, the ND32 is the one I will use most of the time because it can get me in that aperture sweet spot and still hold the shutter speed.

ND16 Clip 4k Dlog Graded

ND32 Clip 4k Dlog Graded

KB
Here in the Australian outback my ND 64 has had a run a few times in the middle of the day

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vishal@12