DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shoot in 4k then zoom video in post

RonanCork

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I'm going to be flying over a populated area /small town soon (have the necessary special persons permission etc).

I've a mavic air and as you know it's a little loud n buzzing. So I'd like o ideally to fly high up so I'm not bothering people, maybe 400ft. If I shoot my video in 4k can I then have the video zoomed in post production? Ie so it appears like I was at a lower altitude etc n more detail of building etc are visible? I'm using da vinci resolve.

Would any one have instructions or tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks Ronan

Hi Guys,

I'm going to be flying over a populated area /small town soon (have the necessary special persons permission etc).

I've a mavic air and as you know it's a little loud n buzzing. So I'd like o ideally to fly high up so I'm not bothering people, maybe 400ft. If I shoot my video in 4k can I then have the video zoomed in post production? Ie so it appears like I was at a lower altitude etc n more detail of building etc are visible? I'm using da vinci resolve.

Thanks Ronan

There should be a crop tool in just about every editing program but what editing software are you using and we can give you more specific details

Select Inspector, then Dynamic zoom. You can use the default setting wherein the image is zoomed out, or swap (just below dynamic zoom selection in inspector) and zoom in. You have to select the dynamic zoom option (I think that's what it's called) just below the playback screen - not the preview screen on the left, also.
Either way, the default zoom in/out is to/from the center of the screen, but you can change that by clicking inside the box and drag. I do this to have the in/out intersect at the 1/3 intersection
All of this is done within the Edit panel

Not being a drone cop, just FYI for your planning.

You stated flying over populated area, you did not state how dense or populated. Small town should not be a problem.

You should not need to go up to 400' unless your trying to get a wide shot of the whole town. Otherwise everything will look smaller than needed and require more zooming in post.

Look for your highest objects, usually the town water tower. Put your altitude maybe 25-50' higher than that. Also set your RTH altitude to this height so if you have a RTH situation you will clear the highest objects on the way back. Once you get your shots around the tower, you can go lower for any unique shots. Have someone with you to watch for hazards. In a small town, power lines, phone lines, and trees are the most common items causing an accident as they are hard to see. So unless you are very close and can see them try to stay above the height of the utility poles/trees.

Flying DIRECTLY OVER PEOPLE and OVER MOVING TRAFFIC is a NO NO. Directly is the key word. With the altitude your planning you can be just a couple of feet off and the video will still appear to be over the subject(s)/traffic, while not actually being over them.

The AIR is WIFI not OccuSync, so be aware of cell/radio towers or other possible interference.
DO NOT FLY AROUND A BUILDING OR OBJECT where you lose Visual Line of Site (VLOS), or you will lose your connection, and most likely lose your UAV.

Be aware of wind direction and a safe landing zones, so if you do encounter problems you have a safe zone to fly towards. Flying direction is important so if you are flying forward your UAV will continue that direction should you lose control. Wind direction is important because say you are hovering near a crowded area and the wind is blowing towards the crowd, that is the direction your UAV will continue or topple towards should you lose control.

Its all about planning and safety. Fly Safe and I Hope your video turns out great. Please share when done!

SORRY RonanCork, I just looked at your profile and saw you were in Ireland. So I am not familiar with your rules regarding flying over people and moving traffic. It is still a smart practice, but you will have to make those decisions based on your local guidelines. Still looking forward to seeing your video.

SORRY RonanCork, I just looked at your profile and saw you were in Ireland. So I am not familiar with your rules regarding flying over people and moving traffic. It is still a smart practice, but you will have to make those decisions based on your local guidelines. Still looking forward to seeing your video.
Sound advice. Cork is in the Irish Republic, so will fall under European aviation rules. Basically the same as the UK. 400ft height limit, VLOS or maximum of 500 metres and no flying over people or property not under your control. If you have permission by the owners of the properties you want to fly over, then all is good.

Hope the flight goes well. Yes, would like to see the end result.

Hi Guys,

Thanks Ronan
Hi last week flying in Kinsale,just ask some people closer to me if I lunched drone.Noone had problem,they looking over my shoulder.

Hey Roman50,

Thanks yeah I think that was a good idea to ask people near you out of courtesy. Most people would be excited seeing the drone take off and fly but I think people did appreciate when you ask if your nearby. Typically when I fly though I do it away from people and try to fly around sunrise as it's easier to move around and not be worried about people / traffic etc.

Thanks Ronan.

Hey Roman50,

Thanks yeah I think that was a good idea to ask people near you out of courtesy. Most people would be excited seeing the drone take off and fly but I think people did appreciate when you ask if your nearby. Typically when I fly though I do it away from people and try to fly around sunrise as it's easier to move around and not be worried about people / traffic etc.

Thanks Ronan.
You right,even I make some video for people also and posted by email,they always answer Thank you.Just farmers is different ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tsvetan