DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Short drifts, some sudden, most slow

Pilgrim Pilot

Reactions
Hi! I have been flying my MP2 for a few months now, and I am curious about your guys' thoughts on some recent behaviour:

Sometimes, when flying, I'll be focused on a shot, and I notice the bird is drifting left, slowly. I seem to remember it drifting right, but in the last few flights, I haven't seen it go right, just left.

Other times, it is more pronounced -- it will suddenly drift and turn the camera image to the side, which must be a significant amount, because even in strong wind gusts, the camera looks like it is sitting still or barely moving, so for it to suddenly jerk, it seems like it must be moving a lot.

Viewing from the ground, I don't notice any change, because it's so far away, and I haven't noticed it happen right in front of me.

Based on your experiences and knowledge, what things could this be? Old props? Software? One of the engines going up?

I haven't ever looked at the log files, but if someone is interested, I'd be glad to share them.

Thanks!

Hi! I have been flying my MP2 for a few months now, and I am curious about your guys' thoughts on some recent behaviour:

Sometimes, when flying, I'll be focused on a shot, and I notice the bird is drifting left, slowly. I seem to remember it drifting right, but in the last few flights, I haven't seen it go right, just left.

Other times, it is more pronounced -- it will suddenly drift and turn the camera image to the side, which must be a significant amount, because even in strong wind gusts, the camera looks like it is sitting still or barely moving, so for it to suddenly jerk, it seems like it must be moving a lot.

Viewing from the ground, I don't notice any change, because it's so far away, and I haven't noticed it happen right in front of me.

Based on your experiences and knowledge, what things could this be? Old props? Software? One of the engines going up?

I haven't ever looked at the log files, but if someone is interested, I'd be glad to share them.

Thanks!
Calibrate the IMU and compass... Hopefully that's all it needs.

Ok, will do. It has been a while.
I calibrate the compass at every new site I fly. No exceptions... I had my Mavic Pro fly off 3 years ago and was lucky to regain control.... Ever since I take the 20 secs to calibrate the compass. The IMU gets calibrated every time I update firmware on the drone. Hope it works out!

I have been flying at many new places recently, whereas before I was flying in basically the same geographic areas .. this hopefully is the problem and I'll be calibrating each new place from now on.

"it will suddenly drift and turn the camera image to the side, which must be a significant amount, because even in strong wind gusts, the camera looks like it is sitting still or barely moving, so for it to suddenly jerk, it seems like it must be moving a lot."

This sounds like a gimbal problem.

Reactions: Gindra
@chuck2016 thanks for the direction.

I did as you said, and I have been flying it at least a couple times a week for the past two months, and I have only noticed this twitch maybe twice in all this time, which is tolerable and probably normal .. whereas it was happening most every flight before I recalibrated.

@GadgetGuy I was almost certain it would be a gimbal problem, thinking the same thing as you put there, but apparently it's a software/calibration issue!

@chuck2016 thanks for the direction.

I did as you said, and I have been flying it at least a couple times a week for the past two months, and I have only noticed this twitch maybe twice in all this time, which is tolerable and probably normal .. whereas it was happening most every flight before I recalibrated.

@GadgetGuy I was almost certain it would be a gimbal problem, thinking the same thing as you put there, but apparently it's a software/calibration issue!
Twitches aren't normal, but given the infrequency, if that is tolerable, far better than trying to deal with DJI during the global shutdown on a replacement to eliminate the twitch completely. Glad the IMU calibration brought it backdown to a minimal level.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LBRO