DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Short range?

fchenustc

Reactions
Live in NJ densely populated suburb (no buildings only houses). Because of trees mostly can’t fly over 0.5 mile. Yesterday tried to fly over Hudson River, no obstruction, lost signal around 1.5 miles. I thought MA2 range is supposed to be good like 6 miles. In retrospect didn’t turn off WiFi or Bluetooth. How do I prove something is wrong before contacting DJI support?

Live in NJ densely populated suburb (no buildings only houses). Because of trees mostly can’t fly over 0.5 mile. Yesterday tried to fly over Hudson River, no obstruction, lost signal around 1.5 miles. I thought MA2 range is supposed to be good like 6 miles. In retrospect didn’t turn off WiFi or Bluetooth. How do I prove something is wrong before contacting DJI support?
Nothing sounds wrong. The range you are getting, for the conditions you are describing, sounds about right. The 6 mile range is in perfect conditions, meaning you are flying in the middle of no-where.

Nothing sounds wrong. The range you are getting, for the conditions you are describing, sounds about right. The 6 mile range is in perfect conditions, meaning you are flying in the middle of no-where.
I understand but checking on YouTube I assume the following two conditions are urban / suburban definitely worse than around my neighborhood and they can get 2 miles significantly more than my 0.5 mile

2 miles without issue in Philly city

1.9 miles lost signal in Philly suburb

Reactions: nencmeister
In retrospect didn’t turn off WiFi or Bluetooth. How do I prove something is wrong before contacting DJI support?
Welcome to the forum. A few factors can affect your flight range, so try the flights again with WiFi and Bluetooth turned off. We can learn from your results, so please let us know if that improves distance at all.

Also, are you flying above 200 feet, or are you flying lower? Try flying at higher altitude if you haven’t already done so...if allowed in your flight path.

I know it’s common sense, but are you facing the MA2 at all times with the controller? I have found that turning away from the MA2 by just 45 degrees has sometimes resulted in choppy video as seen on the Fly app, although the video on the SD card has been smooth.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Welcome to the forum. A few factors can affect your flight range, so try the flights again with WiFi and Bluetooth turned off. We can learn from your results, so please let us know if that improves distance at all.

Also, are you flying above 200 feet, or are you flying lower? Try flying at higher altitude if you haven’t already done so...if allowed in your flight path.

I know it’s common sense, but are you facing the MA2 at all times with the controller? I have found that turning away from the MA2 by just 45 degrees has sometimes resulted in choppy video as seen on the Fly app, although the video on the SD card has been smooth.
Thanks a lot. Will share more once I have more experiences. Yes I was around 400 ft just below the legal altitude limit and facing the drone. For the flight over Hudson River I reached 1.5 miles at 150 ft due to altitude zone.

It also depends on how you’re pointing the controller. Sometimes you have to orient the controller so it’s more flat or parallel with the ground. If you’re holding it in more upright position then the RF isn’t being directed at the drone.
And you may think it’s an open area, but in reality you don’t know what other RF signals are blasting through the area.
That range sounds normal to me. Go higher if you’d like, because even though you’re attempting to obey the law by staying below 400ft, you’re breaking it anyway by going out of VLOS.

The biggest issue in "suburbs" is probably going to be trees. If you have trees blocking the signal between you and the drone, it just isn't going to go very far. In my "suburb" if I head one direction, where the property is lined with trees, I can only go about 3500 feet. If I had the other direction, where the trees are a bit away and I can get line of signal over them, I can get about 9000 feet.

Notice in the videos, the first guy is on on a street, so no trees in the way. If he stays straight from there, he won't have any buildings either. In the second video he appears to be flying from the top of a parking garage or something, so he has the advantage of height. The RC is already higher than many of the trees, so not an issue. You got 1.5 miles at 150 feet. I would bet you would get at least 2 up at 400 feet in the same location (although don't try, as that is clearly a flight path to the runway).

It also depends on how you’re pointing the controller. Sometimes you have to orient the controller so it’s more flat or parallel with the ground. If you’re holding it in more upright position then the RF isn’t being directed at the drone.
And you may think it’s an open area, but in reality you don’t know what other RF signals are blasting through the area.
That range sounds normal to me. Go higher if you’d like, because even though you’re attempting to obey the law by staying below 400ft, you’re breaking it anyway by going out of VLOS.
Appreciate the insights on RC’s flat positioning. Never thought about it and will try next time.

The biggest issue in "suburbs" is probably going to be trees. If you have trees blocking the signal between you and the drone, it just isn't going to go very far. In my "suburb" if I head one direction, where the property is lined with trees, I can only go about 3500 feet. If I had the other direction, where the trees are a bit away and I can get line of signal over them, I can get about 9000 feet.

Notice in the videos, the first guy is on on a street, so no trees in the way. If he stays straight from there, he won't have any buildings either. In the second video he appears to be flying from the top of a parking garage or something, so he has the advantage of height. The RC is already higher than many of the trees, so not an issue. You got 1.5 miles at 150 feet. I would bet you would get at least 2 up at 400 feet in the same location (although don't try, as that is clearly a flight path to the runway).

Thank you for looking into it. Yes trees might be the issue. Will try open area and 400 ft next.

I just watched a Youtube range test done in Hawaii with the MA2. 60' AGL but started from a high hill. The battery ran out before the radio range did. He was getting blip-free video and control at 5 miles out. He had to cancel the auto RTH. And finally let it return when at 50%. Made it back home with just less than 10% battery. He was careful to keep the antenna pointed directly at the drone at all times. I suspect 6 miles could be done but your probably going to need some kind of camel-pack battery to do it. MA2 is absolutely amazing!

I'm also having bad range with my Mavic Air 2.
There are no trees or buildings between my controller and the drone, and I'm pointing the controller antennas directly at the drone.
My Mavic 2 Zoom I was getting over 5km with no signal loss using the same path as the MA2.

Thanks a lot. Will share more once I have more experiences. Yes I was around 400 ft just below the legal altitude limit and facing the drone. For the flight over Hudson River I reached 1.5 miles at 150 ft due to altitude zone.
`Well I for one dont agree with the majority here. I have already sent one back to DJI for a replacement 1250mt range and they determined it was a faulty signal board. I lost the replacement and bought a new one...this new one over open water is losing signal at about 450mt without anything in the way. It will be going back tomorrow. I suggest you do a flight and screen record it. Put it up on YT then get onto DJI assist and give them the link.

Trees have lots of water in them which makes them bad for RF transmission. Signal won't penetrate through trees...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilldale Harry