DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shot composition: Will DJI combine any intelligent flight modes?

KDog

Reactions
Ok, so just hear me out here - I know a Mavic Pro isn't a pro-level camera drone, but I can't help but wonder what the effect would be if DJI updated software/firmware to allow - for instance - Course Lock mode to be operated in conjunction with Active Track mode. Individually the capabilities exist so it doesn't seem like stretch to be able to combine them, and the result, in my opinion, would be amazing.

Course Lock is great because it essentially takes the flight direction element out of filming a subject so that all that needs to be controlled is the aircraft height, camera direction and gimbal tilt, which is three elements. The shortcoming here is when a subject goes out of frame because you're not reactive enough on the gimbal tilt.

Active Track is brilliant because it takes control of gimbal tilt and camera orientation, and leaves only aircraft height and flight direction to control. The shortcoming here is that it removes some flexibility around filming the subject from different distances (zig-zagging subject = zig-zagging Mavic), and renders any desire to change the angular frame of reference to the subject (i.e. mix up the shot composition) redundant.

So, in the hypothetical world inside my head, the combination of Course Lock and Active Track should allow a subject to be tracked and the only variables to control would be aircraft speed and height, with gimbal tilt and camera orientation to the subject being automated. This could produce some seriously amazing results, right?

Also, before anyone has a go at me about removing pilot skill etc. you should know that I don't care about pilot skill in framing shots, I care about getting a good shot.

Also if someone tells me that my amazing idea is already available in Litchi or another 3rd party app, that would be awesome and probably enough for me to buy it.

I'm only wildly guessing at this but maybe check out the Autopilot App.

Reactions: KDog
Try Active Track-Spotlight. It puts the MAVIC into Course Lock mode and controls camera orientation on the subject (controls gimbal tilt and MAVIC yaw).

Reactions: sonof40
Try Active Track-Spotlight. It puts the MAVIC into Course Lock mode and controls camera orientation on the subject (controls gimbal tilt and MAVIC yaw).

My understanding is that in spotlight mode the aircraft remains stationary, although admittedly I've not used it that much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998