DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should gps be turned on when running Dji Fly?

Nope. The gps comes from the drone. You can put your phone in airplane mode if you like.

If it's on it will show you on the map and give you an indication of where the aircraft is with regard to you.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Nope. The gps comes from the drone. You can put your phone in airplane mode if you like.
Airplane mode stops all transmission from the phone.
But GPS doesn't transmit anything and only receives.
Airplane mode doesn't deactivate GPS.

Reactions: InvisibleName
This guy seems to think they’ll stay in the A1

Is the phone/tablet gps used for anything by the Fly app ?
The drone's position is determined by its onboard gps, and the Home Position is marked by the drone when taking off. The phone/tablet's gps (if it has one) is shown as a blue dot on the App map.

The phone/tablet's gps is useful if, for instance, you use the Find my Drone function, then your blue dot will hopefully get closer on the map to the drone's location as you walk toward it.

The other potential use for the phone/tablet's gps is if you want to change the drone's Home Position. Let's say you walked (or drove) away from the takeoff location where the drone automatically marked its Home Position. If you go to the Move Home Point option in the menu (if that's what it's called. I don't have it open at the moment), you have several options. You can mark the new Home Point as to where the drone is currently located, or you can drag the Home Point to any new location on the map, or you can choose to set the Home Point to where you (i.e. your GPS-enabled tablet) are currently located. Note it does not actually follow you if you subsequently move again. It just sets the Home Point to that point where you're at right now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925