DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I be afraid to fly my Mavic Air up high ?

That must be why the law in India is the same as most of the rest of the world and limited to 400ft agl then. :rolleyes:

General Rules for Flying a Drone in India
  • All drones except those in the Nano category must be registered and issued a Unique Identification Number (UIN).
  • A permit is required for commercial drone operations (except for those in the Nano category flown below 50 feet and those in the Micro category flown below 200 feet).
  • Drone pilots must maintain a direct visual line of sight at all times while flying.
  • Drones cannot be flown more than 400 feet vertically.
  • Drones cannot be flown in areas specified as “No Fly Zones”, which include areas near airports, international borders, Vijay Chowk in Delhi, State Secretariat Complex in State Capitals, strategic locations, and military installations.
  • Permission to fly in controlled airspace can be obtained by filing a flight plan and obtaining a unique Air Defense Clearance (ADC)/Flight Information Center (FIC) number.

Thanks for pointing it out but I'm very much aware of the drone laws in my country. I fly in a very remote area. As mentioned I've taken it to 500 m only a few times. Again no airliners operate where I fly my Drone. There are few power grids going across where I fly. They stand around 60m tall so my normal altitude is 65 to 70m. I can't risk my Drone flying into those high tension cables. Fyi we still can't obtain UIN in India. We have a growing Drone community and we try to fly safe.

Ive only had my MA for 3 months now. Like yourself I was very tepid at first with it (and to point still are), and only flew about 50ft too. Now (not always), I go straight up to about 100ft, then adjust the camera mode (cinematic for me) and re check the manual settings and then continue up to around 150ft and then go off and fly within my line of sight. I now do this with total confidence. Hope that is a little help.

Ive only had my MA for 3 months now. Like yourself I was very tepid at first with it (and to point still are), and only flew about 50ft too. Now (not always), I go straight up to about 100ft, then adjust the camera mode (cinematic for me) and re check the manual settings and then continue up to around 150ft and then go off and fly within my line of sight. I now do this with total confidence. Hope that is a little help.
It does really help thank you ! Just a question, I'm also going to use cinematic mode when I'm flying up in the air, I know cinematic mode changes to their own settings to make everything smoother, but when you fly the drone UP and DOWN, does it also goes UP and DOWN smoother than in normal mode ? Also, does the gimbal settings that I have set to have a smooth movement stays fix even in Cinematic Mode ?

Just wanted to say that I've been flying drones for a few years now and it took me a little bit in the beginning to get the balls to fly farther away and higher up. You always have in the back of your head the fear of losing something expensive. I still have it in my head now and its years later. Lucky I have never had a issue and as long as you do everything correct when taking off you really shouldn't have any issues. I have had 3 dji drones over the years and haven't had any issues.I've noticed alot of people that have issues either didn't do the correct steps when taking off or had a defective drone. Examples are don't take off with a compass error or a not fully charged battery or fly under bridges or anywhere else that can give you a compass error or make sure your home point is marked before taking off and Those where just a few. On the forums you only hear the bad and there is alot more good then bad.
Also something I do when I'm up a little higher is get to know my area I'm in. I usually fly with watching my phone screen and not by looking at the drone. If you fly by watching the drone alls it takes is looking away for a second and then you don't know where it is. If you pay attention to the area around you then you can point the camera down and figure out where you are to fly back or keep a eye on the map to see what direction your in and what way you need to fly back to the home point.
The only birds that I have had a issue with were seagulls. I don't have alot of different birds but when I fly by a lake with seagulls they seem to want to attack it. I mess with Turkey vultures by my job but they have never went after it nor has any small birds. This is just my experience's that I have had. Not everyone has the same.

It hasn't happened many times, but during a couple of flights, I have found winds aloft to be much different than they are on the ground, to the point that my Mavic could not maintain a hover without drifting, which would mean what? 25 MPH +?

If I hadn't calibrated the IMU and compass beforehand I'd have thought it might be an issue with calibration but this has been on different times of the year in different locations 60 miles apart.

So believe your eyes and keep in mind that if the aircraft isn't responding right (as in maintaining a hover and drifting sideways, for example), bring it down and see if that corrects the situation. Though these are amazing pieces of tech they still have a limited amount of power compared to what earth's atmospheric conditions can create, even though it seems like a "nice day" down here on the ground.

Your companions might be out with you to see what it can do and may encourage you to keep flying at altitude --- but in the final analysis, chances are they have never flown an sUAS, and have no $1,000.00+ skin in the game if yours gets blown out of line of sight and the batteries happen to be getting down to that last 25%, and real quickly you're starting to realize you've got the perfect storm of conditions that spell "ruh-roah."

I fly my Air on the coasts of Maine. 400 ft asl is fine if you have clear air between you and the drone. Note the guidance from DJI on orienting the rc antennas. Also be aware that winds aloft are often much stronger than launch height. My air fairly frequently has high wind earnings, which I clear by reducing altitude until they stop.

If I needed to be that high, I would start upwind, and be forced downwind to where I could recover he drone by descending.

Re the cinematic mode ....the only thing to watch out for is braking. Its a lovely smooth slow down movement. Allow enough distance to come to a complete stop. I have my gimbal setting to quite a slow movement and to my knowledge the cinematic mode does not effect it.

I managed to remove the 400' restriction from my Mavic Pro, but it seems to top out at about 1600' AGL. I keep reading about people taking theirs way above even that. Anyone know how that would be done, if it were legal?

• Angry
Reactions: dawgpilot
Assuming you are in the USA...

You are not permitted to fly higher than 400-ft above the ground, and you must only fly visual-line-of-site (VLOS), which is you looking at the drone while it is no farther away than you can see the drone and it’s orientation with unaided eyes so you can control it. If flying first person view (FPV) by looking at the video feed, you need to have an observer that maintains VLOS for you so the two of you can avoid manned aircraft at all cost.

You are the pilot in command (PIC) and responsible for the safe operation of your small unmanned aerial system (sUAS). You are responsible and liable for any damage or injury you cause with your sUAS. See the story on this forum concerning two brothers whose drone interfered with Life Flight at a highway accident scene. The brothers may be fined up to $20k and if one or both patients die or their injuries can be claimed to be worse as a result of the interference, they could be facing additional charges and/or expensive legal entanglements. The only thing they may have going for them at this point is, they may not have “deep pockets.”

You as PIC are not permitted to interfere with first responders.

You may need to registered your drone at FAADroneZone

You can find the FAA rules for recreational flying here: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)

If you aren’t going to read and follow the rules, or don’t have sufficient common sense to fly responsibly, find a different hobby.

Otherwise, welcome to the forum and have fun!

Last edited:
Assuming you are in the USA...

You are not permitted to fly higher than 400-ft above the ground, and you must only fly visual-line-of-site (VLOS), which is you looking at the drone while it is no farther away than you can see the drone and it’s orientation with unaided eyes so you can control it. If flying first person view (FPV) by looking at the video feed, you need to have an observer that maintains VLOS for you so the two of you can avoid manned aircraft at all cost.

You are the pilot in command (PIC) and responsible for the save operation of your small unmanned aerial system (sUAS). You are responsible and liable for any damage or injury you cause with your sUAS. See the story on this forum concerning two brothers whose drone interfered with life flight at a highway accident scene. They may be fined up to $20k and if one or both patients die or their injuries can be claimed to be worse as a result of the interference, they could be facing additional charges and/or expensive legal entanglements. The only thing they may have going for them at this point is, they may not have “deep pockets.”

You as PIC are not permitted to interfere with first responders.

You may need to registered your drone at FAADroneZone

You can find the FAA rules for recreational flying here: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)

If you aren’t going to read and follow the rules, or don’t have sufficient common sense to fly responsibly, find a different hobby.

Otherwise, welcome to the forum and have fun!
Very well stated... a sound message to all new flyers or unaware recreational flyers.
If within USA, for the drones we're discussing... all must be registered. If Recreation, the RP's number needs to be applied to each craft.

For those on the route to PT107 certified, the 400 ft rule applies to ground or object flying above... various circumstances apply beyond the comments within this thread, reserved for PT107 discussions.

I'm a bit confused on the whole "Challenge" to obtain altitude beyond the regulated heights. As indicated, the view with the cameras at the high altitude is basically useless... a view of Google Earth will provide the same. The risk is unacceptable & simply stupid which is one of the primary reasons additional laws & regulations are being applied.

More importantly beyond the 400 feet limit are the limits within controlled airspace... applies to most Cities.
A large majority of recreational owners live within the citie's controlled airspace and has much more constrained limits ranging from Zero to 400, and on average limits to 200 feet. This knowledge of controlled airspace, I'm discovering is minimal to many... and that's partly fault of the information or mis-information new Owners receive when purchasing. Again, another discussion point for a different forum.

To fly within many cities, it's illegal to even "FLY" the majority of the city without approval... now easily obtainable with Recreational LAANC and AirMap app. For many sections within a city you can NOT get approval or not without manual authorization that can take up to 30 days. If Hospital or Business Helicopter LZ's are near, the section is probably Zero and manual authorization mandatory.

As example: I requested as a test on the RP LAANC side of AirMap App the authorization to fly around my City's State Capital this weekend. I made the request earlier this week when the RP LAANC was activated. Amazingly, the approval returned in about 15 minutes and the ATC C 50/SFC controlled air space limits UAV to 200 feet max! As a precaution, I stopped at the Capital a day early and notified CSO or Grounds Mgmt of my intentions; which they thanked me an I departed.

On Saturday, while collecting some photos, I heard a Mavic Air... looked up and saw 2.
I watched them for a bit and assumed they were recreational... just my assumption. I looked around and spotted one Owner and strolled over to him to inform & inquire if he obtained approval for flight. He was very pleasant, excitedly told me he just purchased his MA earlier in the week and had no idea what I was talking about. We had a nice informative discussion and he expressed he was thankful I informed him because he didn't want to be illegally flying his Drone.

I later spotted the 2nd MA Owner, walked over and inquired the same. He told me he knew what he was doing, years of experience. I asked what altitude, appeared very high... he responded 525 feet because he was trying to get a nice view of the top of the capital. I asked if he knew this was controlled air space and maximum altitude was 200 feet and required prior approval from the FAA using LAANC, and on State grounds, it's proper to inform Building Security your intentions to fly near the State structure. He basically laughed, said a few comments and expressed I was an interfering A## Hole. I felt that conversation was done, so located a CSO and passed the info. He accepted the info but wasn't going to act... so I left it there. On my path, I approached a LEO and mentioned it to him and his response was basically to enjoy the day. I pondered a few courses of action, but felt each one would have a negative outcome for my actions so I decided to let it go and enjoy the day. The whole time we're on the grounds, planes are flying within their landing paths not far off to the side and 3 medical hell's fly nearby.

I'm not the enforcement for the FAA or the State Security... so without a route that would most likely become confrontational, there isn't much other than to inform the individual and walk away. So even with the negative press, new LAANC regulations & simplified procedures... several will not follow or even care about the proper operation and responsibilities of sUAV.

That irresponsible component to me is very concerning, I'd rather not reach a point of over regulation and local rules that remove abilities to enjoy the sUAV.... Professionally or Recreationally; But as individuals, unable to obtain information... and other than a vent of frustration, there's not much way to enforce and those irresponsible are fully aware of it.

The military already have capability to neutralize drone control connectivity. It will come to civilian turf when the time arrives for it?
It is identical to the federal courthouse bldg deter of cellular communications. It is bulletproof too.

The military already have capability to neutralize drone control connectivity. It will come to civilian turf when the time arrives for it?
It is identical to the federal courthouse bldg deter of cellular communications. It is bulletproof too.

Yes Military does have jamming systems, that won't enter civilian environment due to all the other devices on same frequencies. Military jammers effect a wide zone and spectrum, it's not a directional unique beam, it's more of a wide band... no concerns since their environment is combative and not public civilians.

A few Police Dept have tried jamming... like a rock concert against drones. They were promptly informed it was illegal and had to prompty shut it down. They too didn't qualify for the FCC exemptions.

The federal courts deterrence method is "not allowing cellular phones in the building" held by public. The Federal Courts don't jam cellular, it's against FCC regulations and they don't have an allowance under the FCC exceptions. The licenses required to own & operate a cellular jammer the Courts also don't qualify.

The Courts have examined and inquired on the ability to jam, but haven't due to lack of justification to qualify for a FCC exception.

If you cellular jam, you jam the area, not the courtroom and that would jam public devices external to the courthouse. One instance of jamming an emergency 911 call or a medical call and you'd have major suits & legal actions.

Many buildings, including Federal Courthouses are not ideal for cellular service. To much metal interference, greatly reducing cellular reception. The CSO's may have told you there were jamming... but there not.

Two things about flying at the higher end of the legal altitudes come to mind:

1. It takes a "not insignificant" time to get down from 400 feet - check your drone's manual or website for the specs, but it's likely going to be at least 10 or 20 seconds.. Whatever the exact number is, if you are at a critical battery level, and your alarm is beeping, it's going to seem like a very long time. Putting it into Sport mode will make it descend considerably faster.

2. Winds at 400 ft are usually greater than at ground level. If the winds are 20 or 25 mph, and your drone can only do 18 mph in Normal mode, you're going to need to change to Sport mode (up to 40+ mph) to be able to return home and land. Of course, Sport mode drains the battery much faster

1. It takes a "not insignificant" time to get down from 400 feet - check your drone's manual or website for the specs, but it's likely going to be at least 10 or 20 seconds.. Whatever the exact number is, if you are at a critical battery level, and your alarm is beeping, it's going to seem like a very long time. Putting it into Sport mode will make it descend considerably faster.

2. Winds at 400 ft are usually greater than at ground level. If the winds are 20 or 25 mph, and your drone can only do 18 mph in Normal mode, you're going to need to change to Sport mode (up to 40+ mph) to be able to return home and land. Of course, Sport mode drains the battery much faster
Consider forecasts & if winds, consider upwelling as well as downwelling entrain

Root and alter the decent rate will solve the slow decent speed

I managed to remove the 400' restriction from my Mavic Pro, but it seems to top out at about 1600' AGL. I keep reading about people taking theirs way above even that. Anyone know how that would be done, if it were legal?
There is a hard limit of 500 meters (1640 feet) above takeoff point built in to the operating code. I don't know how that can be changed but would advise against it.

If you have rooted, downgraded your MP and go app then there must be a setting you have not configured correctly or something you have done wrong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329