Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I buy Mavic Pro now or wait?

Should I buy Mavic Pro now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

foxagntmulder

Reactions
I've been contemplating of buying my 1st drone (specifically buying a DJI mavic pro) for the since November 2016. I'm holding back of buying because I'm expecting the next release will have a lot improvement than the 1st one. I'm a newbie and they said that you don't need to practice a lot. There's no big travel plans for me not until August 2017. I need some advise if I should buy now and not wait for the next release. Anybody has a wild guess when DJI schedule to build and release the next one?

If I had to guess, I would guess that the next release will be the Mavic Standard, a lower-end, cheaper version of the Mavic Pro. I would recommend buying now rather than waiting - it's the age old thing. It would be nice if there were a Phantom 5 coming soon, but the form factor of the Mavic is SO much nicer.

Reactions: Redwings
There is a rumor that their might be another Mavic release, but its "suppose to be" a Mavic standard, with not as many features as the Mavic pro. In any case buy one now! Would you not buy a car because the next years model might be better? If that's the case you'd never own one because the next year after that will be better. Just buy one..

Reactions: IconBeat
There is a rumor that their might be another Mavic release, but its "suppose to be" a Mavic standard, with not as many features as the Mavic pro. In any case buy one now! Would you not buy a car because the next years model might be better? If that's the case you'd never own one because the next year after that will be better. Just buy one..
That is exactly what my sister in law said, that by the time I buy one it will be Mavic Pro 10! :) :) Thanks for the reply
If I had to guess, I would guess that the next release will be the Mavic Standard, a lower-end, cheaper version of the Mavic Pro. I would recommend buying now rather than waiting - it's the age old thing. It would be nice if there were a Phantom 5 coming soon, but the form factor of the Mavic is SO much nicer.

You are right! I rather buy the better one than the lower end of the Mavic Pro. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Kestrel
**** straight - you don't know if you'll even be alive when the mavic 2 arrives, and assuming (hopefully) that you are the mavic you bought now will still do exactly the same as it did when you bought it, assuming you actually use it to create beautiful things rather than compare it to the next iteration.

Buy it, fly it, be safe and don't forget to post your videos!

If you wait for the next best thing you will always "be waiting for the next best thing". Buy what you like and enjoy it. Also be prepared for a new model or two to come out within months of buying yours and expect resale value to drop accordingly. It is just part of the game... ya gotta pay to play! :D

Hello, Lads. My first post here, I am in same dilemma as foxagntmulder....

I have my mavic pro combo sat on the shelf at Argos just calling my name.....

I think i will pick it up today, can i ask you lads what you think about dji refresh

Is it worth getting? Your thoughts

Hello, Lads. My first post here, I am in same dilemma as foxagntmulder....

I have my mavic pro combo sat on the shelf at Argos just calling my name.....

I think i will pick it up today, can i ask you lads what you think about dji refresh

Is it worth getting? Your thoughts

Hi there!
I have not seen the full potential of my mavic pro yet. My first attempt to take the video when I went hiking a couple months ago was not a good one. Somehow the videos were chappy and not clear. I'm still learning how to fly the drone the right way and learning the controls and settings. I just need a lot of practice and more youtube videos tutorials.

I think its worth it to buy the dji refresh so I don't have to worry about when I break it.

I say, wait for mavic 2 pro, and and of course, the mavic 1 pro price will drop down, your choice. "The next best thing" must have better camera, better firmware stability.

I say, wait for mavic 2 pro, and and of course, the mavic 1 pro price will drop down, your choice. "The next best thing" must have better camera, better firmware stability.
I'm not so sure about that. The latest Phantom 4 is the "Advanced". It is a slightly lower spec to the Phantom 4 Pro and only $150 or so less.
I agree with the other statements here. Buy a Mavic now and enjoy it. Sure eventually a better one will come along, but you'll not have had all the enjoyment and experience gained from flying with one now.
Plus, when the next one arrives you'll ask the same question, should I wait for the Mavic 3.0
Jump in and get involved now, you'll love it.

I'd buy now (and did :))for a couple of reasons. Spring is a good season to be flying. Life events happen - who knows if you'll have serious free time in the near future? Drone restrictions are starting to ramp up - right now is probably the best time to fly before "they" clamp down more than they have already.

Stop procrastinating. Your missing out on all the joy you could be having now. MAVIC 2 may not come till next year or may not come at all. A wise man once said, dont put off untill tomorrow what you can do today for tomorrow may never come.

Reactions: Clinton1
  • Like others said; don't wait for the next best thing... there's always going to be something else. If the current Mavic floats your boat, just get it.
  • Even though the Mavic is remarkably easy to fly and confidence builds quickly, you'll need some time to go from "ok pilot" to "ace movie maker".... why not invest some time in that between now and your next holidays in August? And if in the mean time a better drone comes out that you are hellbent on, just sell the mavic with a marginal loss and get the new one.

Reactions: Speedy_G
if you think that you won't need much practice then you're mistaken and you'll be joining a list of others who have "fly aways" and crashes. Even if you're not going to buy a mavic right now at least grab a cheap quad to practice flying atti mode so you don't freak if you lose gps lock or fly in strong winds

Reactions: GlenT
As Nike puts it... Just do it..

As I put it... Just buy it..

You won't regret it... I think there are a couple hundred people here who will agree on this point..
:)

Reactions: Groucho
Or just wait...forever....as the grass is always greener on the other side.

On the subject of grass....you know why it is greener on the other side?
...because there is more **** on it!

I got mine two weeks ago after being in the same situation as you. Without a doubt my advice is buy it. I definitely don't regret it for all the reasons given above. I had real post purchase anxiety. It also took a few flights for the nerves to settle but the Mavic is such a pleasure to fly.

My 2 cents about the DJI refresh....I wouldn't bother. I paid up for it but worked out that I can get it covered under our regular house insurance. It's cheaper and tbey will cover it for loss as well. IMHO.

You should wait if you have patience. I'm sure DJI will have an updated model to release. You may not see anything new until the fall.

This is just my 2 cents but I think anybody still waiting, should expect to wait until September for a teaser release followed by a realistic date for a mass public release probably around February 2018. If you can really wait that long your a better man than me :)

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada