DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I buy now or wait?

If flying your drone is not the only thing you've got happening in your life then why not wait a month or two to see if anything actually eventuates in regard to the Mavic 3? It's not as if going a couple of months without a drone is somehow going to cause you to do self-harm - LOL.
Any Mavic 3 won't be a mature aircraft for at least 6 months after release.The M2P is a known, mature aircraft in the DJI line, and currently without equal, and on sale at a terrific price. Being an early adopter with DJI is agreeing to become an unpaid beta tester, with demand exceeding supply, delayed shipping, and shortages of batteries, needed accessories, and spare parts, while the marketing hype is separated from reality, bugs are squashed, and features are slowly rolled out and embellished. M3 will also undoubtedly come with a price increase to compensate for the included AirSense aircraft detection system, which may turn out to be more of an annoyance, than a real benefit, like a car radar detector that is always going off!

I love my MP2 and would not consider a newer model for the next 3 years. It is awesome.

‘Yeah, I gotta say DJI really knocked it outta the park with this one. It’s an excellent aircraft and camera system.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
‘Yeah, I gotta say DJI really knocked it outta the park with this one. It’s an excellent aircraft and camera system.
4k video; better than any other so-called Hi-def camcorder that I own. Flies and photos quite steady in 30mph wind. 20mps photos. Does tricks. Compact enough to pack in carry-on luggage to Hawaii. Panoramic photos 1,700 feet offshore. Easily 25 minutes of flight time. Precision auto-home and landing. Smart controller. Goggles. The M2P is simply the most amazing toy / equipment that I have ever owned. A no-brainer decision.
Red Baron 2UP%204014%20-%20Wheaton%20-%20072619-2e.jpeg05-06-19b.jpeg

One aspect of the wait or buy now maybe where you are located. If you buy now how much time will you have to fly given weather and shorter daylight hours during the winter months. Having the drone only to sit around to waiting for decent flying weather is a drag.

Any Mavic 3 won't be a mature aircraft for at least 6 months after release.The M2P is a known, mature aircraft in the DJI line, and currently without equal, and on sale at a terrific price. Being an early adopter with DJI is agreeing to become an unpaid beta tester, with demand exceeding supply, delayed shipping, and shortages of batteries, needed accessories, and spare parts, while the marketing hype is separated from reality, bugs are squashed, and features are slowly rolled out and embellished. M3 will also undoubtedly come with a price increase to compensate for the included AirSense aircraft detection system, which may turn out to be more of an annoyance, than a real benefit, like a car radar detector that is always going off!

It all comes down to whether or not someone is the type of consumer who chooses to be an early adopter and is unlikely to be overly annoyed by the inevitable teething issues. There are certainly a lot of members of this forum who fall into the "early adopter" category and are evidently happy to splash the extra cash for the privilege of being same.

It all comes down to whether or not someone is the type of consumer who chooses to be an early adopter and is unlikely to be overly annoyed by the inevitable teething issues. There are certainly a lot of members of this forum who fall into the "early adopter" category and are evidently happy to splash the extra cash for the privilege of being same.
Indeed. In the early days of DJI, we were happy to do so, and it really helped to get us to where we are today. However, now, the incremental changes are marginal, and I would rather be flying and shooting with the best of last year, than beta testing the future of possible! ;)

Indeed. In the early days of DJI, we were happy to do so, and it really helped to get us to where we are today. However, now, the incremental changes are marginal, and I would rather be flying and shooting with the best of last year, than beta testing the future of possible! ;)

It's not dissimilar to the mobile phone thing. Regardless of what the new model offers over and above the previous one, there will always be customers who pre-order a new Apple iPhone every year as soon as the new model is announced. They don't care about the changes being "marginal" - they just want the latest new shiny thing and companies such as DJI and Apple are more than happy to help them out.

It's not the early days of DJI anymore but that doesn't stop a lot of people from ordering a new model drone as soon as it is announced. It's just how it is and how it will always be - but evidently not for you.

It's not dissimilar to the mobile phone thing. Regardless of what the new model offers over and above the previous one, there will always be customers who pre-order a new Apple iPhone every year as soon as the new model is announced. They don't care about the changes being "marginal" - they just want the latest new shiny thing and companies such as DJI and Apple are more than happy to help them out.

It's not the early days of DJI anymore but that doesn't stop a lot of people from ordering a new model drone as soon as it is announced. It's just how it is and how it will always be - but evidently not for you.
Indeed. For me, it is all about the image quality and convenience, not the gimmicks. M2P is the perfect drone in that respect. iPhone 8+ is still good enough for me. Same with golf equipment. Any driver made in the last 5 years is light years more forgiving and longer than the best driver from 20 years ago. However, any additional increments in forgiveness and length today, from one year to the next, are not worth the expense or the trouble of switching, unless you are a Pro, where any improvement matters. I also buy my cars 3 years after release at 30% of what the original owner paid. That way I avoid lemons and save a bunch of money. We still need the early adopters. I just don't want to be one anymore!

Rumors are just that. Get a new bird and fly now.
I agree and like the MM it may not be an upgrade. Go with a replacement now and check on referbs as they are basically brand new with new warranty for 30 or 40% off the normal price. I have had 7 dji drones and all but one are referbs and perfect.

Reactions: 95SKY
I’m also on the fence on this purchase .....
Partly due to the rumors of the M3
And partly due to this not being that good of a “sale” since DJI jacked up the price of the drone by a bunch to accommodate a Tariff that never materialized for them. Now they mark it down.... Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth - although I’ve already drank tge DJI Koolaide...
I’ll probably buy it anyway... ((sigh))

Additionally rumors are that the 8K camera may be a smaller sensor as well. 1 2/3 sensor
Coming soon ?
Autel have always taken a long time to release after announcing something new.
A better camera for sure?
All that's known is that one will have a 1" sensor.
Whether it's better remains to be seen.

I’m also on the fence on this purchase .....
Partly due to the rumors of the M3
And partly due to this not being that good of a “sale” since DJI jacked up the price of the drone by a bunch to accommodate a Tariff that never materialized for them. Now they mark it down.... Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth - although I’ve already drank tge DJI Koolaide...
I’ll probably buy it anyway... ((sigh))

Well, I gotta fess up..... I ordered the M2P yesterday....
I figured that there was no guarantee that the M3 was even coming, let alone being compatible with the banks of batteries I have.
Most of my photography is done during sunset / sunrise and the twilight hours.. The M2P should excel in the twilight time.
I have to say that I would like it if there were a firmware update to the M2P so it would do SuperResolution photos like the M2Z does. Only in RAW...

Your story sounds almost the same as mine. I'm on the Idaho Wa. border. My M2P flew off the top of a mountain this fall never to be found. I bought the fly more kit so have the extra batteries, controller, and filters. I would like to replace it since it was nice to carry, fly and took amazing pictures and videos. I wonder about the next gen Mavic but torn about waiting or replacing and upgrading to the smart controller package as it seems to be a bargain. I don't fly as much this time of year and also have the P4P to keep me flying.

Well, I gotta fess up..... I ordered the M2P yesterday....
I figured that there was no guarantee that the M3 was even coming, let alone being compatible with the banks of batteries I have.
Most of my photography is done during sunset / sunrise and the twilight hours.. The M2P should excel in the twilight time.
I have to say that I would like it if there were a firmware update to the M2P so it would do SuperResolution photos like the M2Z does. Only in RAW...
Good choice. M2P is awesome for twilight photography and video! The M2Z SuperResolution requires the 2x optical zoom. However the 9 image pano stitch of 20MP images on the M2P comes close. The Spherical Panos on the M2P from 26 stitched 20MP images are even better!

Reactions: Big-Foot
I'm also casting my vote for "don't wait, buy now". A while back I was listening to a drone podcast and over time they'd keep bringing up the rumors of a Phantom 5, always expecting news in "just a few months". They did this for at least a year and a half, and of course there is STILL no Phantom 5. Can't help but think what a disservice they did to their listeners constantly bringing up these rumors.

Reactions: gppms and GadgetGuy
Your story sounds almost the same as mine. I'm on the Idaho Wa. border. My M2P flew off the top of a mountain this fall never to be found. I bought the fly more kit so have the extra batteries, controller, and filters. I would like to replace it since it was nice to carry, fly and took amazing pictures and videos. I wonder about the next gen Mavic but torn about waiting or replacing and upgrading to the smart controller package as it seems to be a bargain. I don't fly as much this time of year and also have the P4P to keep me flying.
Neighbor, we have a home near Coeur d'Alene Idaho. FWIW, I recommend the Paradise / xxxx Scenic Pkwy just across the Idaho border in Montana for some special views. 042%20Paradise%20Scenic%20Byway7.JPG039%20Paradise%20Scenic%20Byway4.JPG043.jpeg

Reactions: Thomas B
Good choice. M2P is awesome for twilight photography and video! The M2Z SuperResolution requires the 2x optical zoom. However the 9 image pano stitch of 20MP images on the M2P comes close. The Spherical Panos on the M2P from 26 stitched 20MP images are even better!
GET IT! It's only money and life is short! If you get it, it probably will not move the needle of your life.

You are just 48 so I think you can wait. If you are over 60, buy NOW !

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman