DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I buy the DJI Mavic 3?

deanbush

Reactions
My plan has been to guy the DJI Mini 3 Pro when it comes on the market, but I'm also considering buying a DJI Mavic 3. I've been reluctant to do that based on the comments I've read. Should I wait until all the bugs are worked out or do the advantages of the Mavic 3 outweigh the negatives? Many, many hanks for your advice! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
There is no doubt that the advantages of the Mavic 3 far outweigh the Frustrations of the drone to catch a signal quickly.
That extra battery power is priceless in the air and for your flight and mind , gives you that much more time so you do not panic as quickly when things get a little interesting. I cannot stress that enough. Time is Power in the sky

There is every possible chance that the Mini 3 will not be fully capable at release time, so all that is up for discussion very similar to how the Mavic 3 was released. Seems DJI maybe has gotten on the slow bus, ??

I would not hesitate getting the mavic 3 and if you have any issues , Send it back to Amazon or Best Buy only or Microcenter.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Good morning deanbush!

The 'Mini' line of drones are super capable and amazing birds . . . I can't imagine the Mini 3 being anything less than amazing in technology and capabilities. On paper it looks quite impressive (but so did the Mavic 3).

Definitely the advantages outweigh the negatives for the Mavic 3 (we do not even know what the Mini 3's negatives will be).

Mavic 3's issues have been identified and (hopefully) can be corrected by updates. As is . . . I can't imagine the Mini 3 can match the Mavic 3 in any category other than weight (based on the spec's released). It sounds like cost isn't a factor for you so . . .

You have to ask yourself some questions:

~ Is 249 grams okay for my needs? Wind?
~ What am I using it for (what imaging payload does it need to carry)?
~ Is flight time important (the super battery for the Mini 3 takes you over 249 grams)?
~ Night time operations (Bigger sensor means more light gathering which means better in low light)?

Personally, flying (mostly) in Southern California's deserts and mountains. I deal with high winds and extreme heat, I wanted the more powerful motors to help combat those elements.

Initially, when the mini was released (a few years ago) we saw 'Mini's' blowing away and flying away daily (mostly pilot error). The forum's analyticals were busy trying to find these birds scattered all over earth.

Later models of the Mini 3 got better and better dealing with the wind so that may be a factor to consider.

Good luck in any decision you make.

I posted a question similar to your a few weeks ago. I decided to buy anyway and discovered how great the Mavic 3 really is. The “issues”, while real, don’t affect me too badly and I can live with the 2 minute GPS connection on a cold boot. (I think my M3 is from Nov21 and less affected By the GPS issue). On the plus side the M3 is very quiet, fast and captures incredible imagery for my business.

These are two completely different drones/products targeting different consumer groups. There's no comparison and anyone asking this question probably does not know what exactly he is looking for. Just look at the specifications and think what you want to do with it.

Reactions: SkywalkerFeng
There is no doubt that the advantages of the Mavic 3 far outweigh the Frustrations of the drone to catch a signal quickly.
That extra battery power is priceless in the air and for your flight and mind , gives you that much more time so you do not panic as quickly when things get a little interesting. I cannot stress that enough. Time is Power in the sky

There is every possible chance that the Mini 3 will not be fully capable at release time, so all that is up for discussion very similar to how the Mavic 3 was released. Seems DJI maybe has gotten on the slow bus, ??

I would not hesitate getting the mavic 3 and if you have any issues , Send it back to Amazon or Best Buy only or Microcenter.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. Land on the Water.
I agree, the Mavic 3 is a fantastic drone. The only real considerations are, 1) can you justify the expenditure? 2) Do you need/want the quality or are you just a casual hobbyist?