DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I get a 4K monitor ???

Or even better....5k monitor. That way if you are editing video you can see it in 4k and still have spaces for the editing tools around it. I am using an iMac 5k and will never go smaller :)

There’s a saying in my drone club - ‘Once you go 5k you’ll never go back’.

Reactions: Lelantos
Or even better....5k monitor. That way if you are editing video you can see it in 4k and still have spaces for the editing tools around it. I am using an iMac 5k and will never go smaller :)
I am more of a consumer guy rather than the producer guy
I'm doubting myself will editing those footages so many times it worth the money to upgrade the machine
Thanks for the suggestion though :)
But the monitor itself, at least i can enjoy it for the ps4 pro and movies ;)

My computer, video card & video editing software ( Cyberlink Power Director 14) can nicely, play, and edit 4K video recorded from my Mavic Pro.
I currently have a decent 2 year old 1080P --- 27 inch monitor.

1080P video looks good on the monitor.
4K video looks even BETTER on this monitor.

My question, will my 4K video look much better if I upgrade to a 4K monitor ??
This may sound like such a stupid question, but....Do you really need a 4K pc/laptop/monitor to successfully edit drone footage, this is a genuine question, I have a MBPr Retina 2015, is this sufficient enough to be able to edit the 4K?

Perfectly good. You're just not enjoying your own footage to its full potential...but those who will watch and are properly equipped will :)

This may sound like such a stupid question, but....Do you really need a 4K pc/laptop/monitor to successfully edit drone footage, this is a genuine question, I have a MBPr Retina 2015, is this sufficient enough to be able to edit the 4K?

Do I NEED a 4K monitor to edit 4K footage, NO, but I would like to view the edited 4K video, in 4K as well.

You cannot see 4k resolution on a 1080 monitor.

So it's awesome how guys are saying 4k looks better than 1080 on a 1080 monitor. Lol

It does.

I've asked myself the same question...how can 4k video look better on a 1080p monitor than 1080p video?

But it does.....no doubt about it.

Bill

IMO

maxresdefault.jpg

I respect your opinion, but totally disagree. :)

I found a video of film maker crew commenting about using 8k RED brand camera
Skip to 03:00
Basically he said oversampling is good to reduce the noice in the video, hence, easier to edit
16pixels in 8k will fill 1 pixel in 1080
4pixels in 8k will fill 1 pixel in 4k
So yes 4k video will look better than 1080 video in a 1080 screen, cleaner video

Reactions: Masheen and Kilrah
Yes, its worth it.

I got one so that I could see the Mavic's 4K footage directly, and it does make a difference.

There is no intrinsic reason that 1080 should look better sourced from 4K originals. Think about it. The Mavic can do the resampling internally, and come up with the same result that you get resampling on your computer.

The Mavic can do the resampling internally, and come up with the same result that you get resampling on your computer.
That is incorrect, the issue is the "bottleneck" of the h.264 codec which discards significant color data due to the 4:2:0 subsampling it works with.

If you shoot 1080 you get a 4:2:0 1080 image. If you shoot 4K you get a 4K 4:2:0 image, but which once resized to 1080 provides you with "fully defined" 4:4:4. Also the downsampling "hides" some of the compression artifacts from the source file.

Reactions: Masheen
That is incorrect, the issue is the "bottleneck" of the h.264 codec which discards significant color data due to the 4:2:0 subsampling it works with.

If you shoot 1080 you get a 4:2:0 1080 image. If you shoot 4K you get a 4K 4:2:0 image, but which once resized to 1080 provides you with "fully defined" 4:4:4. Also the downsampling "hides" some of the compression artifacts from the source file.
Ah, OK. That actually makes sense. Thanks.

If you use multiple computers, and get one 5k (or 4k), all the others will then look like crap.

If you do you'll need to buy a graphics card that can hand 4K as well.

Bud

My computer, video card & video editing software ( Cyberlink Power Director 14) can nicely, play, and edit 4K video recorded from my Mavic Pro.
I currently have a decent 2 year old 1080P --- 27 inch monitor.

1080P video looks good on the monitor.
4K video looks even BETTER on this monitor.

My question, will my 4K video look much better if I upgrade to a 4K monitor ??

I used a 4k super MVA monitor that I tuned myself. Makes an incredible difference in editing. I jumped from 1080p led to VA 2k to where I'm at now. There's so much information you simply couldn't notice before.

I have a 4K 27" Viewsonic Monitor at work and I have thrown some mavic videos on it and it really shows up a lot more detail. I see people on the ground walking that I never noticed before when I watched it in 1080P on my 55" TV.

I certainly would not spend the money on a 4K monitor just to edit or watch 4K Mavic videos but if you have other uses for it then it's great to have one.

Rob

If I wasn't concerned about performance then I would have never bought a Mavic! What would be the need! If I could afford a 4K Monitor as well, because I'm concerned about performance, I would buy the 4K Monitor! It's only logical!!:rolleyes:

I have a pre 4K 27" iMac so wouldn't be able to view the 4K footage in all its detail, but is it possible to connect an additional 4K monitor to the iMac (so 2 screens in total) for viewing?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones