DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I get a 4K monitor ???

kens65fb

Reactions
My computer, video card & video editing software ( Cyberlink Power Director 14) can nicely, play, and edit 4K video recorded from my Mavic Pro.
I currently have a decent 2 year old 1080P --- 27 inch monitor.

1080P video looks good on the monitor.
4K video looks even BETTER on this monitor.

My question, will my 4K video look much better if I upgrade to a 4K monitor ??

You have to see it for yourself in your office or room setup not in store.
I been using a 55" Vizio 4K Smart TV and it also serves as my PC monitor in my bedroom...win win!Thumbswayup

My question, will my 4K video look much better if I upgrade to a 4K monitor ??
I've been using a 2560x1600 32" monitor for about six years. The high resolution is very nice (4k looks great), but just having a big monitor with that many pixels makes me more productive, as I can have several windows open at once in a resolution big enough to read clearly.

Bigger is better if your budget can handle it, but I would put color accuracy over sheer size. I've seen big, hi-res monitors at low prices that just couldn't properly recreate colors accurately no matter how much they were tweaked up. Photos just looked awful, but they're fine for big spreadsheets.

Reactions: woesch
49" 4K TV used as monitor here. Love it.
Would have gone for 55 if I had the choice, alas space constraints with my desk setup and flat in an attic meant 49" was the biggest that could fit (and had to choose the model carefully, and design/3D print custom feet for it).

Reactions: Budmancan
You cannot see 4k resolution on a 1080 monitor.

So it's awesome how guys are saying 4k looks better than 1080 on a 1080 monitor. Lol

But you can see an improvement in quality watching 4K on a 1080 monitor. It's not 4K obviously but it is noticeably better.

Reactions: HiKen51
IMO

maxresdefault.jpg

It really depends on what you are editing it for. If you are doing it for anything where it will be played back and viewed by other people on 4k then you definitely what to edit on a 4k monitor. If you are only editing for Youtube or for MOST people to play back on their 1080 or 720 monitors then as awesome as it would look to you in editing, it might not be the best spent money.

Now I say all that but if I needed a new monitor I would definitely buy a 4k one just because everything I film in right now is capable of 4k and I don't get to see the true potential of it because I am using 1080 monitors.

You may want to record in 4k, but output the video to 1080 because the vast majority of users are still on 1080

the original file will remain in 4k
then in the future, you can edit that 4K to 4K and upload to youtube

i suppose in 2 years or so

You may want to record in 4k, but output the video to 1080 because the vast majority of users are still on 1080

the original file will remain in 4k
then in the future, you can edit that 4K to 4K and upload to youtube

i suppose in 2 years or so

Youtube handles conversion from 4k to whatever the user is capable of streaming/viewing, so there isn't really any reason not to upload the 4k now.

Reactions: Kilrah
No, in practice and with years of experience.

I've had 4K monitors for 3 years now. I'm by far not the only one. All of us enjoy people who have been posting 4K video for all that time.

I said 'vast majority' of people are still on 1080 devices.
I didn't say everyone.

Will viewing 4k on 4k monitor be the same as viewing 1080 on 1080 monitor? Or 2.7k on 2.7k monitor

I see, worth the money then
Okay, next stop = 4k monitor
Or even better....5k monitor. That way if you are editing video you can see it in 4k and still have spaces for the editing tools around it. I am using an iMac 5k and will never go smaller :)

Reactions: SeaFox
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998