DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I? or shouldn't I?... start my flying experience with a Mavic Pro Platinum?

My first drone was a Cheerson CX20 drone with GPS. Crashed it on my first flight. It was a POS.

I have probably 25 hours on my MPP and haven't even come close to crashing it. I also have an Eachine E58 which is a toy baby of the MP. I've crashed it five or six times flying it inside.

If you want to fly and not crash get an MP or MPP and fly it outside. Read up as much as you can here and you should be fine.

I have never heard a regular Mavic Pro run in person, but my impression from videos is that the sound is more piercing and "singy" than the Platinum. I've only flown my MPP one day, but I would call it quiet, considering the work it's doing. Really sounds sweet, and I'm glad I went with the Platinum. Unfortunately it has camera problems, so it's going back to Amazon. New one should be here day after tomorrow. Forecast is for rain, then snow, followed by single digit temps. Whose idea was it to start this hobby in January? ;)

Hi all,
I just unboxed and flew my new platinum this morning. I too, was interested in the least amount of noise, along with the portabililty. However, it still sounds like a swarm of bees under 100 ft. Also, I'm going to need to spend more time working on the focus and camera work. You will probably be great at it. It seems very stable and smooth. Light and variable winds with mechanical disturbances from trees and hills around my backyard didn't seem to bother the video. I am in love with the precise landing capability! So far, no regrets!

The ND lens filters come very handy- please invest in a genuine dji set or polar pro ones.

For the 100 bucks you save choosing the regular MP I would get that new 99$ DJI Tello drone on the side for indoor practice and fun.
I was waiting for the Ryze Tello but I couldn't so I found a good deal on a Spark which is full DJI. I'm pretty happy with having both the Spark and the Mavic Pro.
Once the Tello comes out that should be a great indoor/close range selfie toy.

Hi everyone

I retired vet that dabbles with video (camcorders) and I'm considering getting a quad to expand my dabbling.
I'm currently watching hours and hours of YouTube videos and somewhere along the way I found out about this web/forum site.
I here for guidance if my thinking is off.
So first off, I'm thinking that because the Mavic has that "beginner" mode that it could be a safe quad to learn with if took it step by step. Thoughts?
Some may ask, why the Mavic Pro Platinum instead of the reg Mavic Pro, and the main reason is the sound.
To me, in videos the reg Mavic Pro sounds more like a swarm of bees while the Platinum doesn't. I could be wrong just my opinion.
My camcorder is a 4K and thus I'm interested in a quad with very good video and I also like the idea of the Mavic being so compact.

Thanks...NOWitsOK.

First, thanks for your service. I have had several DJI drones including the MP with quieter props. They do reduce the sound but you shouldn’t ever expect a quite drone or make that a primary factor. Interestingly, the Inspire is the quietest in a climb but noisier after going into hover or forward flight. For the extra $100, I would go with the MPP for the newer motor ESCs which should not be a “new product problem”. You will have no problem as a newbie. Forget the camera until you get use to flying it. Biggest problem for beginners is usually intimidation. The noise can initially intimidate pilots. You take off and suddenly you have this thing hovering next to you that sounds like it is going to take your head off. And leave your wallet in the car...forget about the cost when you are flying. You are not going to crash it! Enjoy it. You have earned it.

Hi everyone

I retired vet that dabbles with video (camcorders) and I'm considering getting a quad to expand my dabbling.
I'm currently watching hours and hours of YouTube videos and somewhere along the way I found out about this web/forum site.
So first off, I'm thinking that because the Mavic has that "beginner" mode that it could be a safe quad to learn with if took it step by step. Thoughts?
Some may ask, why the Mavic Pro Platinum instead of the reg Mavic Pro, and the main reason is the sound.
To me, in videos the reg Mavic Pro sounds more like a swarm of bees while the Platinum doesn't. I could be wrong just my opinion.
My camcorder is a 4K and thus I'm interested in a quad with very good video and I also like the idea of the Mavic being so compact.

Thanks...NOWitsOK.

I have both a Typhoon H and the Mavic Pro Platinum. I love them both but the MPP has been more use because it is so much more convenient. Prior to getting the MPP, I wanted to take my drone on a vacation but didn't want the hassle of packing that huge case. I'm looking forward to my next trip because I can fit that MPP in just about anything. Whenever I can fit some flying time in, I am always grabbing my MPP. In my opinion, I think the MPP is a very good beginner drone for an adult. The beginner mode is okay but I doubt you will have to use it more than once or twice. DJI also has a "flight school (actually called Academy)" mode that is pretty good for learning.

with regards to using beginners mode, when you turn it off there is a significant increase in response. So you will need a little more practice when you first flu untethered! Always check that all your pre flight settings are right before flying because upgrading can alter them so can sods law. Keep within sight, at least until you are very confident with the monitor and always keep an eye on the weather, the higher you go the more windy. Up to 20mph is the max recommended and its for a reason, so many lost drones on here that "drift away" and it turns out its not the drones fault but the wind is to high.
Hi everyone

Thanks...NOWitsOK.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis